LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, i have a LX470 2004 Middle East (UAE) specs and i am looking to upgrade my OEM navigation screen with an Android one. I am particularly interested in the Teyes CC3 head unit. But i am not sure about the compatibility. As per their product page, my unit looks like the one they showcase as TYPE C. I have seen a couple of videos on Youtube, which indicate the device working fine, but just wanted to check if anyone can help me out with any info possible ! I will be sharing relevant links below for your reference.

Thanks

Links :

[ My OEM Display ] -

[ Teyes CC3 Product Page ] -

[ Youtube video where you can see it works ] -

I bought the Tyes Cc3 for my US spec 2006 Lexus Lx470 and what miserable experience I had with it. The AC controls didn’t works and the volume controls stopped working as well. Their engineers/ support phone numbers take their sweet time to answer. It was weeks ordeal with them going back and forth sending multiple video of my installation. Connect and re connect wiring harness on their request and troubleshooting multiple things. Finally I’ve had it enough and I decided to return the unit. I spent $679 total (bought few thins 2x cameras and the Lange change camera) and had to pay $128 for return shipping. It took almost a month for the package to arrive back to china as it got stuck in customs clearance and finally they went ghost on me again. After multiple time texting them via WhatsApp they are now trying to only refund me $490. Won’t send me a replacement unit because according to them it just won’t work for my 2006. I am pretty pissed off and lost $189 and 4 months of misery. Don’t do it cus if u have an issue you will just regret it.

I bought the Tyes Cc3 for my US spec 2006 Lexus Lx470 and what miserable experience I had with it. The AC controls didn’t works and the volume controls stopped working as well. Their engineers/ support phone numbers take their sweet time to answer. It was weeks ordeal with them going back and forth sending multiple video of my installation. Connect and re connect wiring harness on their request and troubleshooting multiple things. Finally I’ve had it enough and I decided to return the unit. I spent $679 total (bought few thins 2x cameras and the Lange change camera) and had to pay $128 for return shipping. It took almost a month for the package to arrive back to china as it got stuck in customs clearance and finally they went ghost on me again. After multiple time texting them via WhatsApp they are now trying to only refund me $490. Won’t send me a replacement unit because according to them it just won’t work for my 2006. I am pretty pissed off and lost $189 and 4 months of misery. Don’t do it cus if u have an issue you will just regret it.

FF6FCFC2-D8A7-4C6B-BA4A-D4C3F3EB0DF0.jpeg

Ah man, it sucks to hear that. I was really looking forward to the device as it looks very promising (atleast on other cars). Im so stuck with my OEM navigation and it seems like i don't have any option other than those s***ty tesla screens. Did you find any alternative ? And thank you for taking the time to share your experience, really appreciate it !

No experience with this device personally, but 2006-07 year models have significantly different (and more complex) wiring than 1998-2005 models.

I have not found any alternative just yet but I was just wondering about sourcing the climate controls for the non nav lx470 or Toyota Cygnus Japanese version of the lx470 in the US. If i can find one at a reasonable price I am willing to give it another try. At least I will have dedicated climate control buttons.

326B1238-7A43-47B3-AA84-AC350BAA291C.jpeg

Also, i was just wondering, how is it possible that it works for the lx470 in the youtube video that i shared in my post ? Is it possible that you missed out on a connection or something ? Just curious as i really really wanted this device for my car :(

7C1CF575-8C7D-4330-BEE3-DAFAF375471C.jpeg

7AE353B5-1749-4636-BF1F-C8BD66948D86.jpeg

Also, i was just wondering, how is it possible that it works for the lx470 in the youtube video that i shared in my post ? Is it possible that you missed out on a connection or something ? Just curious as i really really wanted this device for my car :(
Here is the response from Teyes engineer saying the CC3 won’t work on 2006 LX470

I have not found any alternative just yet but I was just wondering about sourcing the climate controls for the non nav lx470 or Toyota Cygnus Japanese version of the lx470 in the US. If i can find one at a reasonable price I am willing to give it another try. At least I will have dedicated climate control buttons.

View attachment 2936905

There are a couple of threads floating around for converting to a ROW setup. One for the LX, one for the LC. I think it's been discovered (?) that it's no longer possible for the LX, and quite difficult/expensive for the LC still.

I have a 2006 LC.

I have looked high and low, talked to a half dozen different shops and read every thread on this forum concerning this project. I have come to the conclusion that it can only be done at great expense (one guy couldn't even guarantee under $5k) and then its marginally reliable at best.

Half the technicians I talked to wouldn't do it because they didn't want to be responsible for the inevitable follow up work, I talked to a couple who had done it before with several different devices and said they absolutely recommended NOT doing it to my vehicle because it becomes a expensive s*** show.

As frustrating as it is, I think I have reconciled myself with the fact that I am stuck with what I have.

I intend to spend months at a time on the road here in the near future and I bought the LC for its reliability, this would be a step backward in that aspect.

I have a 2006 LC.

I have looked high and low, talked to a half dozen different shops and read every thread on this forum concerning this project. I have come to the conclusion that it can only be done at great expense (one guy couldn't even guarantee under $5k) and then its marginally reliable at best.

Half the technicians I talked to wouldn't do it because they didn't want to be responsible for the inevitable follow up work, I talked to a couple who had done it before with several different devices and said they absolutely recommended NOT doing it to my vehicle because it becomes a expensive s*** show.

As frustrating as it is, I think I have reconciled myself with the fact that I am stuck with what I have.

I intend to spend months at a time on the road here in the near future and I bought the LC for its reliability, this would be a step backward in that aspect.

It's hardly the same type of solution (continues to use old LX screen, audio system, etc), but a Grom VLINE VL2 works super well. I've had mine for a couple of years now and I'd buy another if it died. It does at least deliver a modern interface in CarPlay or AA, etc.

It's hardly the same type of solution (continues to use old LX screen, audio system, etc), but a Grom VLINE VL2 works super well. I've had mine for a couple of years now and I'd buy another if it died. It does at least deliver a modern interface in CarPlay or AA, etc.
The Grom VLINE VL2 is one of the solutions I specifically have been asking about. The guy I usually let work on my rig said he installed one and it worked, but was less than optimal because of the resistive vs capacitive touch thing and it still has to use the 20 year old interface.

I am glad to hear yours works and has been working for a while though, maybe I'll look into it again as a "best of bad options."

View attachment 2936905
So right now how does your dash look like ?

Here is the response from Teyes engineer saying the CC3 won’t work on 2006 LX470
Damn, i've read alot about their horrible customer service. Its sad that they have such a great product but no customer service :( I really wished i could make it work with my car. Im super curious to know how they made it work in the youtube video that i shared... As far as i know, it should be possible to make it work with an American LX470 with climate controls working just fine ... maybe you can try a different technician ?

S
I have a 2006 LC.

So today i went out to some local shops that do head unit installations. I found that there are a couple of chinese head units (one of tesla style and the other with a 10.1 inch display) that are floating around. They said they could install the 10.1" one for about 400$ and also showed me videos of their past installations on LX470 showcasing the climate control functionality. They guaranteed that it will work and i will only have to pay after fully testing out the system. I'm a bit skeptical because these units are not from a brand. I was very keen on the Teyes, and im still talking to technicians to see if they can help me. No luck so far , if i dont find anyone who can help me with the teyes , ill probably opt for the one that i mentioned earlier ( the unbranded chinese one) and i will update on this thread how that goes... If only Lexus did this in a better way :(

S

So today i went out to some local shops that do head unit installations. I found that there are a couple of chinese head units (one of tesla style and the other with a 10.1 inch display) that are floating around. They said they could install the 10.1" one for about 400$ and also showed me videos of their past installations on LX470 showcasing the climate control functionality. They guaranteed that it will work and i will only have to pay after fully testing out the system. I'm a bit skeptical because these units are not from a brand. I was very keen on the Teyes, and im still talking to technicians to see if they can help me. No luck so far , if i dont find anyone who can help me with the teyes , ill probably opt for the one that i mentioned earlier ( the unbranded chinese one) and i will update on this thread how that goes... If only Lexus did this in a better way :(
not recommended

1) the stability of Android system from these Chinese brands is questionable. They are universal android platform with some modification for different car model. They will not be fully tested for each model. The vendor just sells the devices to other resellers with no brands on them, not directly to final customers. The resellers will put their own brand on the devices. If they messed up something they can just change another brand to sell them, 0 liability on them. I can guarantee you that 6 months later you won't find the brand anymore. And there will be no update on software part. Personally, I would not allow this kind of electronics equipment to connect to vehicle ECU. If the device messed up any computer inside vehicle you may need to spend thousands to fix.

2) your power antenna may not work the same as factory HU for any aftermarket HU for LC100

3) Tesla style large screen is really not the same style with the LC100 platform interior. The whole dash will look like Frankenstein combining with difference age marker with this screen. Also, the interface artwork from these Chinese HU is really bad (although the factory one is not good neither). Your vehicle resell value will be reduced if you still want to sell the car in the future. And there is almost no possibility you can recover back to factory status by yourself after you "upgrade" to this tesla style HU.

For LC100 with nav aftermarket radio HU upgrade there is 3 levels you can consider:

1) use bluetooth adapter and connect your smartphone with bluetooth only. I had this setup right now and it is not bad since this setup didn't change any factory setup. Functionality part you can do everything else on your smart phone or ipad. This setup is very stable and requires minimal work/money/time.

2) do nav delete on LC100 and then install some good brand aftermarket HU such as kenwood/pioneer etc. the adapter used in the installation is well tested and the AC control is not directly connected to HU thus no worry it can mess up vehicle computer. This setup requires a lot of works/money and for LX470 it may not work since a lot of parts are NLA.

3) if you still want to buy android tesla style HU, buy it from US based companies rather than some unknown chinese companies from ebay/alibaba. Although they will import the same HU from China but at least they will require some quality control and (possible) future firmware update.

a few people are buying used non nav assemblies from the uae and installing them. get the side vents also, you'll need them.
If you have an LX just go find the LC non nav from any 2003-7 and buy that.
The best outcome is you buy the whole entire center assembly.

If possible get the connectors from the car side of the harness to go along with it.

a few people are buying used non nav assemblies from the uae and installing them. get the side vents also, you'll need them.
If you have an LX just go find the LC non nav from any 2003-7 and buy that.
The best outcome is you buy the whole entire center assembly.

If possible get the connectors from the car side of the harness to go along with it.
I really want to pay extra $500 if someone can collect all the parts for my LX, used for new it doesn't matter.

Okay so i pulled the trigger on an android 10.1" display. It seems to be working fine and has a decently pretty UI. All the functions seem to be working including the AC controls, power antenna, disc changer, steering wheel buttons, speakers, etc.. If anyone would like to know more, i can make a quick walkthrough video and post some pictures and details. Feeling really happy about the system, feels like the best suv just got better. Fingers crossed for upcoming days !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom