2004 Transmission Issues (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ SCORE !!!

Appreciate the link. I can put the ECU back in, it takes all of 5 seconds to do so its not a big deal.

Snapped a quick video of for 1-2 shift in the truck from a fresh CEL reset in my driveway. Ignore the clanking noise its the cooler in the back. Notice the RPM flare when it shifts, and throws the code immediately - P0986.

1-2 Shift

It seems as if your ecu is not dialing back throttle, fuel, timing during the shift sequence. The flywheel disconnects from the tranny for the gear change, but the engine is "unaware".

Your video is critical, thank you for posting. I'd actually wager the tranny itself is mechanically OK.

I'll take a video tomorrow of when I press the 2nd start button. I just ordered a techstream cable

To piggyback on this thread, My '06 (150k miles) has been sitting a lot and often outside for the last year. About a month ago I noticed a very slight thump upshifting from 3rd to 4th. Only did it a few other times in the last month. Then last week check engine light came on and it drove as if in limp mode. Took it to the shop and rodents had grenaded both exhaust air pumps under the intake manifold with acorns and a nest and ate some wiring. Had that all replaced, and they spent tons of time looking for any other wire damage anywhere. Had the transmission drained and new filter. Transmission is sill going into limp mode every once in a while but no check engine lights. Seems like too much of a coincidence that the issues are still so close together, right?

Transmission is sill going into limp mode every once in a while but no check engine lights.
Mine occassionally goes into limp mode after hard braking, but no check engine lights. But if i use a code scanner, there is a P2714 confirmed.

@smartparts , wondering what you discovered. Having no issues myself, but started reading the thread and was then left hanging, like in a foreign film from the 70s. Hope you figured it out!

If there's any lesson to learn here, it's do not bring it to a shop and tell them you aren't in a rush...it's been there since November. I'm calling this week to just get it back

Well I drained and took off the pan. I had a feeling the internal wiring harness might have been bad. I ordered a new one ( 82125-35130 ) and installed it today. Not a terrible job but gets a little messy. Code P2716 is gone, but still getting P0984 and P0974.

Truck is still doing the hard 1-2 shift, and no 5th gear at all.

Going to pop the harness off again and blow off the female side incase the connection is bad.

View attachment 2411653
How difficult was it to replace 82125-35130? I know you said not terrible but a little messy. I'm trying to figure out a P2716 code and my next step will involve dropping the pan. I'm considering going ahead and replacing the wire harness and Solenoid SLT while I'm in there. I know it is kind of an expensive "guess", but I'd rather do that and only have to drop the pan the one time.

It’s very easy to do. Drain the pan, let it go for a while, undo all the pan bolts. Carefully lower the pan because there will still be fluid. Then it’s a few bolts that retain the wire harness, carefully unclip them and boom.

Ps if anyone sees my truck on copart…totaled in a flood in ct back in September. Comes with Trd wheels and Ironman bumper!

It’s very easy to do. Drain the pan, let it go for a while, undo all the pan bolts. Carefully lower the pan because there will still be fluid. Then it’s a few bolts that retain the wire harness, carefully unclip them and boom.

Ps if anyone sees my truck on copart…totaled in a flood in ct back in September. Comes with Trd wheels and Ironman bumper!
Thanks! Hoping that will take care of my issue.

Got it back yesterday.

External transmission wiring harness had to be replaced due to corrosion. Transmission was fine. Many lessons to be learned here.
Bringing this back from the dead. Any chance you know the part number for this harness? We're having the exact same symptoms on my dad's 100.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom