2004 convert to manual hubs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys - I've googled the heck out of this and haven't been able to find an answer. Every thread I've read on converting ADD equipped trucks to manual front hubs talks about swapping in the front knuckles from a manual hub truck into the ADD truck, then replacing the hubs and axles with non-add pieces and disabling the vacuum solenoid that operates the disconnect.

My question is, can I use the knuckle that's on my ADD truck and press in new bearings and non-add hubs? I've verified (on rockauto) that the wheel bearings are the same part for ADD and non-ADD trucks, but the hub itself obviously looks different, but I'm not sure if the knuckle itself can accomodate either wheel hub. I've tried to find comparisons online, but no one seems to have tried this before.

Any experience you've had would be appreciated. The whole front end of this truck needs going through, so if I can just buy non-ADD parts to adapt my current knuckles it would save me a ton of time/money trying to buy knuckles from a non-ADD truck.

If no one has tried it before, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

I'm doing this to an 03. From all my research guys just pull the manual hub knuckles from a junk yard to save time and money. No Tacos in junk yards around here.

Looks like the tricky part is to make sure you have the correct spacers, nuts, paying attention to ABS or non, etc. I haven't done this everything is in boxes. I bought all on Rock Auto and the parts I bought looks exactly like a high dollar kit available from one of the websites. This has been documented but I didn't save any links.

ORS-HB001.jpg

This is the pic I referenced. They sell a CV axle shaft to retrofit your original ones. On Rockauto I bought all new CV axle assemblies. They sell Warn hubs but I bought Aisin hubs from Rockauto as well.

Taco Manual Hub Kit

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the info. I didn't come across that thread before, guess google-fu failed me today.

I guess the parts I'd worry about are indeed teh spacers and circlips and such, but that thread actually has the part numbers! Excellent find. Once I get to the front end rebuild, this will be the way to go since I have teh j-shift transfer case already. Thanks again!

No prob this forum is a great resource. I'm in pretty much the same boat. 2003 reg cab, 2.7l, 5-speed, ABS, man transfer case. Putting it off because it's such a big job but Eaton Tru-trac going in, full front end rebuild, manual hub mod, new suspension. And pulling and painting the oil pan cause I'm in the rust belt.

As you see in the other thread you'll need the spanner socket to really reef down on the retainer nuts.

No prob this forum is a great resource. I'm in pretty much the same boat. 2003 reg cab, 2.7l, 5-speed, ABS, man transfer case. Putting it off because it's such a big job but Eaton Tru-trac going in, full front end rebuild, manual hub mod, new suspension. And pulling and painting the oil pan cause I'm in the rust belt.

As you see in the other thread you'll need the spanner socket to really reef down on the retainer nuts.

This is an 04 Double cab 3.4L ABS. Friend's husband was selling it because it's slowly rusting to death and he hasn't been keeping it up, so he let it go cheap. First job is to pull the bed and address the rust issues at the back, which is where it's the worst. After that is timing belt/water pump/radiator and associated hoses and seals.

Once those two big jobs are done, I'll be moving on to controls arms, ball joints, and general suspension maintenance. That'll be a good time to throw in manual hubs if it's as big a job as I'm expecting it to be.

I didn't need anther fourby, but I'll definitely use it. Runs pretty darn good for 263k miles. He was the original owner and did a good job with the maintenance, but he definitely used it! It's not super pretty but it's perfect for dirt biking and trips to home depot.

Last edited:
I seem to recall there was information at t4r.org as well on this conversion. Look in the Gen3 FAQ .

It is not a big job if you have a bearing press..... that being said Timmy The Tool man walks you through it.

My question is, can I use the knuckle that's on my ADD truck and press in new bearings and non-add hubs?

100% yes. Ive personally done it twice. Once when I converted to 4x4 from a PreRunner, and another time when I converted my next 1G Tacoma from ADD to manual hubs. The steering knuckles are literally identical between the 4x4 ADD and manual, and the PreRunner, they just use different hub body (ADD vs manual) or a block off plate (PreRunner).

And if you have ABS (and are keen on keeping it), pressing the manual hub body into the ABS spindles is virtually the only way to keep ABS with manual hubs. No manual hub trucks ever came with ABS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom