Builds 2003 LX470 Overland Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where are your jack points using your Hi-lift jack? Being all stock I see only damage.

You can easily and safely lift on a wheel using a tree strap, soft shackle, or HiLift's "Lift Mate" with your HiLift jack... This of course only works for recovery situations when the truck has to be lifted OFF of rock or root etc. (A "jack and stack") Lifting by the wheel DOESN NOT allow one to affect the great majority of tire repairs however..

You can easily and safely lift on a wheel using a tree strap, soft shackle, or HiLift's "Lift Mate" with your HiLift jack... This of course only works for recovery situations when the truck has to be lifted OFF of rock or root etc. (A "jack and stack") Lifting by the wheel DOESN NOT allow one to affect the great majority of tire repairs however..
So this Hi-lift here is all for show? I know, and that's my point.

Not sure how lifting by a wheel to recover a vehicle with a Hilift jack is "all for show".... We use them for jacking and stacking MUCH MORE than we use them to effect a tire repair. They make a slow and sweaty but effective com-a-long as well!

I have rock sliders currently being built, but I've also got the HiLift Life Mate as mentioned by emmodg for a situation I'd need to lift the truck up. The truth is that the factory jack is basically maxed out anytime I use it, so I'd rather have two options if I need to lift the truck, not to mention the added bonus of having a hand powered winch if ever needed. Not sure why you came in so hot, but hopefully that answered your question sufficiently

Been a while since I posted but for the most part, everything on the truck has been great. This weekend, however, I was cruising down the toll highway (see: 85 mph) and my radiator decided to blow a massive seal all along the top of the fins where it joins with the plastic end tank.

I needed to have the truck the very next day to get to work, and managed to get a temporary radiator from O'Reillys. I say temporary because it's a single core radiator from some random brand, but I needed it asap, so anything was better than what was in the truck. I strangely have never changed just the radiator before (though I've done motor swaps), but managed to take my time and get it all swapped and running perfectly in 2.5 hours. Glad to know I can get it quick, I plan to order an all aluminum multi-core radiator to replace it after winter passes and I don't need to work in the cold/snow.

I also might be picking up another Toyota 4x4 here soon as a second vehicle to drive so I can have this beauty down for wrench time a little longer. I am seriously looking into solid axle swapping and making it a stateside 105 of sorts. Anyone have first hand experience doing the swap? I'm hoping to get rid of AHC and switch to static suspension, and also swap a solid axle up front. My pops, my brother, and I have talks of driving out to Moab next year, so I'd like to show up with something pretty serious

Last edited:
Going to be hitting some trails near Denver today. We're looking at the Yankee Hill trail network near Idaho Springs. Looking forward to getting out and stretching the LX's legs for a bit

Trip Report!

Went out to Yankee Hill and Bald Mountain and had a blast. Got a little nervous because I learned on the spot about the boiling gas/venting fumes issue with the 100 series when getting up there in elevation. The truck ended up making it home just fine, there was just a heavy gas smell for around 2 hours until we descended the mountains. We started in Idaho springs and took a nice scenic dirt road (Virginia Canyon Rd) that climbed through the mountains until we got to Central City. Once we got there, we took Bald Mountain Road to the Yankee Hill trails and followed those trails until we dumped out a few miles west of Idaho Falls.

We took about 4.5 hours to make the route, and everything worked out nicely.

Side note: the trails we took are lauded as easy going scenic trails. While they are scenic, they are not necessarily easy in terms of the amount of large sharp rocks on the entire trail. I felt a little sketch being the only vehicle out there, but we made it out. Would not recommend following that path solo.

IMG_5082.jpeg

IMG_5083.jpeg

IMG_5084.jpeg

IMG_5085.jpeg

IMG_5086.jpeg

IMG_5098.jpeg

IMG_5099.jpeg

IMG_5100.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5105.jpeg

IMG_5107.jpeg

IMG_5108.jpeg

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5111.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

Double Whammy!!

I decided to pick up a second vehicle for winter duties while my wife drives the LX this winter. We sold her car after it being downright terrifying to drive in the snow (RWD 350hp). And now, we welcome to the family, this 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 series.

This has a center locker (did they all have one?) and pretty clean seats for 239k miles. The 3FE is significantly slower than the 2UZ-FE, but that was to be expected lol. It drives straight and has really no issues other than some air in the brake system I need to bleed out. Stoked to drive this during the winter!

IMG_5121.jpeg

IMG_5122.jpeg

IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5125.jpeg

I ended up buying this Cruiser for $3750, talked down from $4500. I think I got a pretty good deal, but I'm sure I'll hear something from someone :hillbilly:

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

I changed the spark plugs yesterday in both the 80 and the 100, and found oil in one of the 100's spark plug tubes on the drivers' side (the side I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube grommets around a year ago..). I'm going to replace again this weekend, but before I do, has anyone has issues with the FelPro kit? Is OEM a better option? I ask because I used FelPro and was diligent during install, but certainly expected a longer life than ~1 year

I ordered the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube grommets today from Toyota, they should be here in a day or two, with the work being done sometime this weekend. I decided OE has to be better than FelPro so we'll see. Here's hoping I don't have to replace again in a year

IMG_5246.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

IMG_5249.jpg

Here's a look at the culprit spark plug tube grommet. This was ~1 year after proper installation of daily driving and two long distance trips over 3-4 days each trip. It definitely shouldn't have had this big of a tear in the seal, so I personally would not recommend Fel Pro in this instance. I replace with OEM, and the job was done in ~1 hour. I let the truck sit overnight to let the FIPG set, and it has been driving no problem since then, 100% leak free.
Cheers

IMG_5138.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

Quick trip through Pike San Isabel National Forest down near Castle Rock, CO. Not much actual offroading but it was a nice scenic area to cruise through, and it was nice to get out before the snow arrives

My alternator started to show signs of failure about two weeks ago. I went ahead and ordered a new alternator and swapped it out, truck is charging good again. I've changed many alternators in older Toyotas (4runners, trucks, tacomas) and this alternator location had to be the most pain in the a** I've dealt with yet. Luckily I managed to get it done without removing the lower radiator hose though. I didn't want to deal with adding more coolant and burping the system again

My alternator started to show signs of failure about two weeks ago. I went ahead and ordered a new alternator and swapped it out, truck is charging good again. I've changed many alternators in older Toyotas (4runners, trucks, tacomas) and this alternator location had to be the most pain in the a** I've dealt with yet. Luckily I managed to get it done without removing the lower radiator hose though. I didn't want to deal with adding more coolant and burping the system again
It sure is! It took me about 3 hours to replace, but I'm a moderately skilled grease monkey at best. It's nothing compared to the starter though! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom