Builds 2003 LX470 Overland Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's been a while but I haven't had much to update in terms of actual work done on the truck. It's been driving like a champ with no issues. This is easily my favorite vehicle that I've ever owned. The slider guy I had flaked, so that's back on the need-to-get list.

I'm planning a trip with my brother (1985 4runner SR5) and dad (LR4) to Ouray and potentially Moab this summer, so I'm about to start acquiring and outfitting the truck a little more.

The AHC suspension is still in great shape so I'm gonna stick with it for now. I want to move the rear tire from under the truck so I'm looking at getting a Bump It Offroad rear bumper w tire carrier since the builder is only an hour north of me and I can avoid shipping costs. As far as a front bumper, I REALLY want to save up a get a Dissent, but I can't afford it for now, so I'm gonna stick with the stock front bumper. I am, however, considering getting a hidden winch mount to go under the stock bumper so I still have self-sustained recovery capabilities. Thoughts on those being reliable?

I also looked into getting f+r lockers, but I think the ATRAC is sufficient for now, I've got a good grasp on how to use it to my advantage. Other than that, I will be getting sliders for obvious reasons. Any suggestions on what I might be missing for having a reliable truck going into the Ouray mountains and Moab? Maintenance is up to date and I've been persistent with it, so luckily I don't need to address anything in that realm (fingers crossed that doesn't change).

The 80 series would be the ultimate candidate for a diesel transplant. It will 'change your life' :) We did this on our 93 80 that I hated driving, and now it's my favorite rig.

Cheers mate and congrats!

The 80 series would be the ultimate candidate for a diesel transplant. It will 'change your life' :) We did this on our 93 80 that I hated driving, and now it's my favorite rig.

Cheers mate and congrats!
I really considered doing a swap in the 80, but I actually traded it for another Toyota! o_O

I gave it up for a 1988 4x4 Custom Cab (+cash) that I'll be trading to my brother down in Texas for a 1987 Toyota Pickup (Tan with a freshly rebuilt motor, 4x4, Single Cab, Short Bed). Seems crazy to trade an 80 away for essentially an 87 Pickup, but I've always wanted a Pickup like that and it's in a rust free condition that the 80 most certainly was not! I should be getting the pickup in a month or so, and I'll be sure to post pictures of it then

I was driving home in the current snow storm and didn't see a drainage dip (was hard to notice ahead of time because of the snow). Unfortunately I caught the curb at the last minute and spun into a guard rail and (basically) ripped off my front bumper of the Lexus. This absolutely broke my heart.

I guess instead of getting a rear bumper for the summer trip, I'm getting a front bumper. It really bums me out because I wanted the Dissent front and I can't afford it right now. I'll probably end up getting an ARB front, but damn does it suck having to upgrade like this. I guess I could probably upgrade through insurance, but what's the point? s***'s gonna cost me more either way.

Last edited:
USAA is coming to pick up the truck on Monday, the damage was more significant than the superficial bumper cover being ripped off, and I suspect there's frame damage. Here's some pictures of the accident. Unfortunately this might mean the end of this truck, and it's not really coming at a good time at all. I still plan on the Ouray/Moab trip this summer though, so if it's not in this truck, it'll be in something else.

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_5473.jpg

IMG_5476.jpg

This picture in particular is the one that makes me believe there might be structural damage. This is the driver wheel well near the driver door The well is bent forward and rubs on my driver tire, which is an obviously indicator of that transfer of energy from the front impact. My windshield also took a crack that was probably 1/3 of the window and spread it across the entire window. I can only wait and see to find out what they deem it as.

IMG_5475.jpg

This picture in particular is the one that makes me believe there might be structural damage. This is the driver wheel well near the driver door The well is bent forward and rubs on my driver tire, which is an obviously indicator of that transfer of energy from the front impact. My windshield also took a crack that was probably 1/3 of the window and spread it across the entire window. I can only wait and see to find out what they deem it as.

View attachment 2929633
That is a BUMMER mate. Sucks. Are you planning to get a new rig?

Cheers

--ofer

That is a BUMMER mate. Sucks. Are you planning to get a new rig?

Cheers

--ofer
Yeah it's got me really down, I was hoping to drive this truck for decades to come honestly. If this gets totaled out I'm probably going to take the cash from payout (120% of Colorado market value based on recent sales, which is fortunate for me) and purchase a 3rd gen 4runner again. That should leave me with more than enough to lift it, regear and lock it, get full armor, 35-37" tires, and baseline the truck before the trip in August

Yeah it's got me really down, I was hoping to drive this truck for decades to come honestly. If this gets totaled out I'm probably going to take the cash from payout (120% of Colorado market value based on recent sales, which is fortunate for me) and purchase a 3rd gen 4runner again. That should leave me with more than enough to lift it, regear and lock it, get full armor, 35-37" tires, and baseline the truck before the trip in August
Not an 80 series?

Not an 80 series?
Maybe but the 80 series tax is hefty and I don't know if I can afford both an 80 and baselining/modifying it to be ready for Ouray and Moab

Well I argued with insurance back and forth over 10+ phone calls and despite giving them ample sources of 03 LXs selling for high prices, I was given a valuation of 9k! :censor::rofl:

I went ahead and opted to keep the truck and take a settlement payment. I'm now about to pull the trigger on an ARB bumper here in the next few weeks and straighten out when tweaked in the wreck. I'm a little annoyed that the process took so long with insurance, but I'm happy to be back, driving my Lexus again. I really do love driving this boat! :steer:

I've been designing a rear drawer system with a camp kitchen focus for my upcoming trip. I feel like I've thought it out well enough, but if any of you DIY vets out there have suggestions, I'm open to any ideas!

This is the top and front view with general measurements
Top and Front View.jpg

This is the detailed front view with exact measurements. I will be doing another for the side view and top view, so I have all axis of measurements needed
Front View Cutaway-Detailed.jpg

This is a general 3D view
3D View.jpg

This is a simple dual battery setup idea I've thought out. I don't know if this would be appropriate for running what I plan to run (fridge, winch, a few leds for the kitchen) or not, but it's an idea. I'd be spending a lot of time driving when using this whole setup, with the second battery only operating under it's non-charging power during the nights when we park to camp overnight and cook.
Dual Battery Setup Idea.jpg

I've just received word that the Sprinter van I've had for sale is sold, so expect many updates in the coming future. I will be updating with sliders, a front bumper, a winch, dual battery setup, snorkel, comm setup, AHC adjustments/base-lining, and a custom rear drawer system based on the plans I drew up above. I'm soooo looking forward to building this truck up more and really getting some solid wheel time in with this thing. Anybody else going to Ouray the last week of August or Moab the first week of September that wants to meet up??

I've got some goodies on the way, with more about to be ordered in the next few days. Ironman had a 25% everything sale so I had to take advantage while it was happening!

438E9557-5DCF-49DB-B221-F14F38C713F3.jpeg

Took the short drive to Slee out in Golden today to pick up some stuff and see their badass showroom! Pictures will come soon, but I currently have an ARB deluxe bull bar, DBA rear rotors and pads, and the ARB fog light kit stuffed into my Lexus. Probably going to start installing this as soon as I get home, I don’t think I have the willpower to wait lol

2C16D579-3DCD-4F80-BBE0-96D5F3D24FEE.jpeg

I’ve also got an Apex 12k winch with synthetic rope back at the house to be installed on the ARB bumper. I’m sure I’ll hear from people saying I should’ve gone Warn, Smittybilt, or similar to have a reliable winch, but Matt’s Offroad Recovery in Moab uses these exact winches daily for their recovery business, so if it works for them, surely it’ll work for me

Last edited:
E9E19DC3-2340-4FE8-9CEC-36A7F95F2F27.jpeg

Got it all unloaded, gonna start the install today. Good lord this ARB bumper is pretty in person!!

6C180BA5-EDFA-441B-8BC5-C2451C53E8D9.jpeg

D751CDC0-F931-4FF3-AF54-4AFA7780CAEC.jpeg

06C7B452-83CF-40E1-AE69-108B9296A895.jpeg

133CB358-E80A-4238-9327-F21AFAEA13C0.jpeg

2B7C425F-CBF6-4188-8CB3-AE4EE3D3D73F.jpeg

ARB bumper is on, but not without a fight! That front frame rail damage, specifically to the end piece of metal, made things tricky when mounting. I got the winch on before mounting the bumper, so all that’s left is the wiring for the blinkers, fogs, and winch. That should all be wrapped up tomorrow.

Im loving the look!! The ARB is just such a classic bumper imo

9FAA33FC-4916-4FC2-A868-25B16EEBFA3F.jpeg

F5BC7743-5281-49B0-8360-F7DC30CC50EE.jpeg

6B315316-BEB8-4295-9EEC-724C5A995590.jpeg

422899D9-D7DD-440D-AD71-7B6649F3B1F4.jpeg

The Badlands control box is mounted and the winch is fully functional. I Installed the 9” Ironman Meteor driving lights with running lights today as well. I had to grind down some of the housing because they’re absolutely units and didn’t fit in my bumper, but they fit now! Wiring will come in a week-ish however. I’m waiting on a rocker switch to arrive in the mail so I can wire them correctly.

A much less exciting upgrade, but I put new headlight bulbs in the headlights today as well

Later today I’m going to be installing a snorkel. We’ll see how it goes, I’ve installed a few before but never in my own vehicle!

6039D62F-493C-429E-B053-93212E017553.jpeg

E08FA590-4C7A-4F0B-8EF5-FA63EB8384A4.jpeg

A341F2C2-9517-4D0A-9823-88C317E52714.jpeg

It took a little longer than I wanted to get the snorkel installed, but I took my time and measured about 9000 times before I drilled anything. I got this snorkel off of eBay, so while the fitment was good, the template couldn’t have been more misaligned. After lots of mocking up, it’s mounted up and ready to go.

Blinkers and the small white lights on the blinkers are also wired up. I’m gonna need another switch to turn the small fogs on, I kinda blanked on that execution when I was wiring it up today

Last edited:
I forgot to update this, but on July 4th my battery died, so I took the opportunity to get an Optima Red Top battery as my starter battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom