2001 Tundra: A Chain Smoking grandpa's truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added some $3 flair because I find these sort of things amusing:

BE00230F-CEE0-49DB-9F91-E127388E9CF6.jpeg

first and cheapest thing to do for the high idle is to spray some carb cleaner around every rubber hose and see if it revs up, indicating a slight vacuum leak.
I hadn't even though of that- good call.
I forgot to mention that after running for about 10-20 min, the idle will drop down below 1k like it should, it is just on the initial start up it hammers like this

Well....all gas powered engines will idle 1000-1100 for 5-15 minutes on cold starts depending on the air temp. Sounds like it may be ok, especially if all seems good after it idles down. Maybe an airflow sensor or a temp sensor is showing it's age?
I was wondering if there is a sensor starting to go, but no CEL on yet...

Crawled under to figure out the exhaust tick, seems as though I have a header job in my future. Cat's are crusty but not leaking, and I have the infamous ticking.
Note to self, OEM part # for block to headers gasket

1717350021​

Did something with it.

Put a new driver caliper on, and swapped out ignition lock which literally took 5 min (super technical pic below)

Went to disconnect passenger caliper and of course the line is stuck into the back, so I’m spending a whopping $8 or so (rounded up) for a new one.

BF31C32E-6415-4DAC-9794-60F26CBE23C7.jpeg

Got the truck registered, and of course it wasn't without drama. First time I went to the DMV, they told me I had been provided a copy of the title release by the dealer. Call to dealer confirms they had the original. I go down and get it without issue, and see my old fusion still sitting there. Apparently someone came to test drive it and the trans went out, so certainly dodged a bullet.
Got tag transferred at DMV only to find out that the title I had been given, which looked very original, didn't match the system- im in VA and the old title was from MD.

So I have a truck registered in my name, presumably legally owned by me, but VA DMV is working to figure out what the title issue is :bang:

Failed inspection for some bulbs (fixed), slack parking cable, exhaust leak and header leak. Oh boy.

Fun to drive though. Spun tires on wet pavement, as expected.

Went to remove tow hitch, only to find the pin rusted into place. After an hour of drilling the old pin out, I found that the hitch is rusted into the receiver. Tried to take the old ball off (wrong size for the trailer) and it didn't budge. When I have time I will chop chop with the sawzall

Last edited:
Always something.
Recieved a letter from VA DMV stating there is a maryland title floating around that was issued on october 08, 2020. Dealer I got it from said theyll see if maybe the title was put into a different folder on accident, if not theyll give me the auction info where they got the truck.
Truck is registered and plated in my name so I can still drive it. . .

Tech wise, this thing scoots, the 4.7 really wakes up with the lighter truck compared to the 100 series.
Def need to get ac fixed and the issues that caused it to fail inspection

That's nice that your inspection and registration are separate. Here in Texas you can't get/renew your registration until a passed state inspection is in the database.

I bought an '03 4wd, looks just like yours. Mine too was so filthy. They PO drove it back and forth across the state for work. After owning it a year I finally just paid someone to detail it - holy crap it looks much better. This truck made it 233k miles without a timing belt change.

Anyway been gettinga kick out of you cleaning yours up as I'm on the same journey. I think I'm going to leave my front suspension alone until my alignment is thrown out. I'm having flashbacks to an Audi, and visualized here, how awful it was to work on.

I bought an '03 4wd, looks just like yours. Mine too was so filthy. They PO drove it back and forth across the state for work. After owning it a year I finally just paid someone to detail it - holy crap it looks much better. This truck made it 233k miles without a timing belt change.

Anyway been gettinga kick out of you cleaning yours up as I'm on the same journey. I think I'm going to leave my front suspension alone until my alignment is thrown out. I'm having flashbacks to an Audi, and visualized here, how awful it was to work on.
Mine has been sitting at my parents place the last two weeks. I still have to do the headers, exhaust and parking cable to pass inspection. Then fix the ac. Too much to do really no time to do it

NSTR other than driving it still on a failed inspection. This mornign when I stopped and open the door at one point it smelled like hot/burning brakes, but when I parked and got out and sniffed smell was gone.
My brother in law suggested what he does to get his work trucks to pass inspection when they have leaky headers- slather the cracked header or leaky portion in the appropriate JB weld before inspection and let it cure, keeps it quiet enough to pass inspection....hmm....

I just slathered a bunch of JB weld over my rear end housing to get it to pass inspection here in PA. It was leaking differential fluid through the metal hosing. It worked....for now.

You're in Mass? How does this thing do in the snow? My son just inherited his grandpa's (non-smoker), minty 06 (130k miles). Same color/body (well, minus the rust), drivetrain. I recall driving it once in the snow years ago and it sucked. I'm sure some weight in the bed would help, but if you have any tips for making the 2wd more snow worthy, I'd appreciate (it has new all-season AT/HT tires, btw).

Following along with this thread because I know much of this is going to come up in years to come. Thanks for sharing.

You're in Mass? How does this thing do in the snow? My son just inherited his grandpa's (non-smoker), minty 06 (130k miles). Same color/body (well, minus the rust), drivetrain. I recall driving it once in the snow years ago and it sucked. I'm sure some weight in the bed would help, but if you have any tips for making the 2wd more snow worthy, I'd appreciate (it has new all-season AT/HT tires, btw).

Following along with this thread because I know much of this is going to come up in years to come. Thanks for sharing.
Sorry so I’m actually in Virginia, the MA thing is from an authors fictitious town in his writing 😬😬
But I can tell you I’ve spun out on dry pavement just giving it too much gas, so id say snow tires and lots of weight in the bed would be a good start

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom