04 TUNDRA REAL TIME HELP (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yea might get a used driveshaft then, that's weird I've replaced several of those U joints before, no issues getting a replacement.

yea might get a used driveshaft then, that's weird I've replaced several of those U joints before, no issues getting a replacement.
YEPPERS.... My pick a part has -0- Tundras on the lot. We are expecting 60mph winds today, so tomorrow I am going junking. There must be a few Tundras in the junk yard.

Toyota gave me this part number 04371-04020 this is too big. My mechanic gave me this number as the correct part number 04371-60060. All parts otherwise have been wrong by .03 to .01 too large. Yes, I am using a pair of calipers to hunt this down.

The saga continues,,,,,,
I have bought 3 more wrong u-joints. Was at O Rielys (SUCKS) Told the guy my problem. He actually knows how to look up parts. We check Seq's, Tacos, and 4runners. All 4x4 take same wrong part numbers. We grab a 2 wheel drive part and the dimensions match up on paper. Fun fact the book shows dimensions to match 3.22 same as my part. Grab part of off the shelf it measures 3.27 no worky. Go to a different O'SUCKS and their part has the same dimensions 3.22, but you have to compress the ends a touch. Did this by hand. Part of the issue is aftermarket parts have no QC and I have the wrong drive shaft in my truck. The 2wd one seems to be smaller. Part is at shop, and I am waiting... I really do not want to pull a drive shaft in the junk yard. BTW Las Cruces NM Toyota dealership sucks for any type of service.

2 weeks later and my truck is finally ready... Afraid of what the bill is. Guess I will be paying for the fouled up u-joints. Not the shops fault or mine that Mr. T put in a wrong drive shaft.

what is the actual solution ?
There is not one. They made a frankinujoint to fit. The truck vibrated like hell, so it is back at the shop. Going junkin to find a SR5 4x4 with access cab 2000-2006.

Post pictures of the joints.

2wd tundras used 1310 joints on the rear, 4wd used an oddball toyota size.

PTI 1351-25 U-Joint - https://www.actionmachineinc.com/products/1351-25?variant=31322757824647 iirc.

These guys have the flanges and even dc joint parts.

Sean

PTI 1351-25 U-Joint - https://www.actionmachineinc.com/products/1351-25?variant=31322757824647 iirc.

Sean
Thanks. I have the dimensions for the u-joint. Maybe they can find it.

Sean
The joint needs to be 3.22in from cap to cap.

Hopefully there will be an SR5 access cab 4x4 in the junk yard today. It has been raining so I will be laying in the mud today trying to get a drive shaft out. not going to be a good day.

Post a picture of the driveshaft you have on the truck. Something isnt making sense.

Sean

Post a picture of the driveshaft you have on the truck. Something isnt making sense.

Sean
I was at JY yesterday and the 2wd and the 4wd drive shaft look the same. I did not have a way to measure them. I picked up a shaft from a TRD off road truck. Hopefully the shop will do something first thing as I do not want to drive my LC 250 miles today. Tires are loud and she does not like 75mph on the freeway.

The 2wd ones use a different u joint, a 1310 external c clip that is visible at the joint, and only have a slip yoke at the transmission. The 4wd ones use a toyota u joint that is an internal c clip that you can't see from the outside of the joint and have a slip yoke at the rear. Ill try and find pictures of my truck later but I am using a conversion joint since my rear axle has a 1310 yoke on it not the toyota drive flange.

Sean

The 2wd ones use a different u joint, a 1310 external c clip that is visible at the joint, and only have a slip yoke at the transmission. The 4wd ones use a toyota u joint that is an internal c clip that you can't see from the outside of the joint and have a slip yoke at the rear. Ill try and find pictures of my truck later but I am using a conversion joint since my rear axle has a 1310 yoke on it not the toyota drive flange.

Sean
The mechanic laid out of work yesterday. Maybe today they can put me back together. I also got a new part number yesterday, Now to find that slip of paper.

2wd and 4wd ends. The 2wd has the squiggly c clips on it. There is also a specific clocking you are supposed to follow on the joints.

Sean

Screenshot_20240213_090449_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240213_090430_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20240213_091031_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom