2000 LC Transmission Failure at 50k (50,381) Miles (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd roll with Option #1. It's remanufactured to Toyota specs with Toyota parts, **more likely with updated internal components that supersede what originally came off the production line 20yrs ago mitigating the risk of known failures. It comes with the warranty (36mo?). There's no doubt it fits and works.

Option #3- The risk on the used transmission, is the labor it costs to remove and install another if it fails, you're looking at double labor and the cost of another transmission: any savings evaporated and then some.

Option #2 most likely will not work properly; is it worth the risk?? You'll have to inspect parts diagram against your specific production date and get advice and decide. I got interested in this compatibility hunt so I started comparing 2002 parts schematic to 2000 parts schematic side by side. These parts are NOT cross compatible: With in Brake Band & Multiple Disc Clutch section- these are specific parts to 98-2000 & 2000 by its own. Appears mostly specific to clutch plates and drum sub assy. However there are also certain key components inside the Valve Body which are model year specific.

links- Scroll down each part and check the application date:
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 9.29.20 AM.png

FWIW: These parts ARE cross compatible: Bell housing, Adapter, Planetary gear, Center support & Planetary Sun gear assy, Overdrive gear, Cooler Hoses & fittings, Brake No. 3 1st & Reverse Brake.

I think the risk you take if installing a trans for a 2001/2002 is the possibility of the ECU not properly controlling / regulating valve body and clutch engagement: you may have shifting issues, clutch flare etc. More likely a Master Tech knowledgeable in A343F variants could give you better advice here.

Last- if you go with Toyota Reman: For piece of mind, find out if there's an available extended warranty on the Transmission beyond the included warranty??

Last edited:
If the master mechanic you're dealing with. Feels the 01-02 will work and willing to give it a shot. I'd go that route.

Toyota must have found issue with 00, very early on. So made a change, which is why new PN'#IMHO.

My only concern is the wire harness. But, I can't see why harness different. I can't see why and CPU would be different either. But it they may be. They could look at all connections before beginning. They could also look at PNs of CPU for differences. It's no big deal, for dealership to get that transmission in and not use it. It will just sit, still in the Toyota parts system. It's the advantage of being at dealership, in this case.

I would have liked, to have heard from you. That while on lift, they ran the engine, shift transmission and transfer case though all gears. While master listen and felt for source of sounds. Seeing you've been blowing fluid, may well be reason for failure. It must at minimum be a sign of failure.

That fluid may be from transmission, where it bolts to transfer case adapter. It may also be from transfer case. I've never seen that much fluid blown from a 100 series. Certainly not a 50K miles 2000.

Part of the job of any Toyota mechanic, is find the why!

Last edited:
The difference between 98-00 and 01-02 may be a very valid issue. For example, the Lexus GS300/400/430 from 98-05 all use the A650E 5-speed, but the ones from the 01-05 models will not work in 98-00 even though everything plugs in and bolts up just fine. The valve bodies and ECU parameters are quite different.

My truck is a 2000 with 360k miles on the original transmission.

For what its worth, I experienced the very same issue (same sounds/symptoms and all) last year. I ended up getting a reman unit installed I sourced from StreetSmart Transmissions. It has held up well over the last year, I've had no issues. My total cost ended up being around $3,200 parts and labor. What sold me on this option is that they give a 3 year unlimited mile warranty which also covers labor should anything go wrong.

Here's my thread from last year:

Another vote for Option 1. The weakness in the 2000 AT was a small batch of a part that didn't meet spec got used in it. Remanufactured units did not use that part. At the transmission level LX=LC, period.

So what did you end up doing and how did it go?

Hey guys, sorry for the radio silence; I haven't actually picked the car up yet haha.

I ended up going with Oleg's transmission after having a separate shop check it out. I had the dealer install it since their estimate was in line with others, and they gave me a loaner which is a big deal since Uber isn't a thing in Trinidad.

Anyways, they agreed to schedule me out a bit so I could drive back to CA for Thanksgiving and to take care of a few things.

I'll be driving back to Trinidad to pick it up this weekend, and I'll update you guys again then.

Definitely put a few miles on the loaner Corolla, but at ~38 mpg, you don't really notice much!

My 2001 LX transmission went out last year, at 115k(ish) miles. Always Lexus dealer maintained, lived a simple life Whole Foods life before I bought it. I feel your pain. I had the Lexus dealer install the Toyota remanned transmission. It was the most expensive, but also carried the best warranty...and, it was basically a brand new transmission from Toyota.

Unfortunate for you (and I), but with 00's and 01's it's a roll of the dice.

My 2001 LX transmission went out last year, at 115k(ish) miles. Always Lexus dealer maintained, lived a simple life Whole Foods life before I bought it. I feel your pain. I had the Lexus dealer install the Toyota remanned transmission. It was the most expensive, but also carried the best warranty...and, it was basically a brand new transmission from Toyota.

Unfortunate for you (and I), but with 00's and 01's it's a roll of the dice.

How long is your warranty good for? The only place that has any remans now is LexusPartsNow.com, and they only offer the factory 12 month coverage. I probably would've sprung for the reman if they offered an extended policy.

I figure at 1/3 the cost though, the used 70k mile transmission is probably worth the gamble. I still believe we're the small but vocal minority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom