200 Series Tire and Wheel Size Database (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a 100 series owner looking to buy a 200 series as a daily driver. Unlike my 100, the 200 will not be built but rather replace my current daily driver and limited to dirt, gravel and paved roads. I live in Vermont and was curious what tires would be sufficient tire for year round use considering we have long snowy winters? I prefer not to buy separate snow tires.

I'm a 100 series owner looking to buy a 200 series as a daily driver. Unlike my 100, the 200 will not be built but rather replace my current daily driver and limited to dirt, gravel and paved roads. I live in Vermont and was curious what tires would be sufficient tire for year round use considering we have long snowy winters? I prefer not to buy separate snow tires.
The go-to answer is Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 285/60R18XL or 275/65R18. It is reviewed to be better in on road snow & ice than most mild AT tires are. I just installed them and they ride great on the highway.

Tire Rack has a recent video test of various AT tires in summer and winter on-road performance...worth looking at. The Continental Terraincontact did great in dry & wet, but not so great in winter.

Tire Rack customer review charts are helpful as well for tires that have substantial user miles compiled. The Michelin Defenders are reviewed very well for on & off road and for snow & ice.

Last edited:

I’m just across the boarder in upstate NY. I have Nitto ridge grapplers, wife has bfg ko2 (both on 100 series) I feel confident driving either in the snow but feel like the BFG ko2 feels more “connected” in icy conditions.

As mentioned above by @JohnPW I’ve had the michelin defenders on multiple cars and hands down best all round street and snow tire. They last forever. Only downside is in the esthetic department.

Lots of people upstate swear by the Goodyear duratrac and I bet they are awesome but I think it’s pretty widely accepted that they can begin to get noisy after a few thousand miles.

In a nut shell if it was a daily and I had a separate dedicated trail rig I would definitely give the michelins a hard look.

Excited to see what guy end up with.

I ran used duratracs for a year or so. Started at 8/32 and took off to 6/32. They started to hum at 35 but never reached too loud, even at 80.
Snow traction was very good. Duratracs are a hybrid and more aggressive than an AT, suspect overkill for the use case.

Does anyone have some photos of 200s with the recent Platinum tundra wheels? It looks like these are delivered with P275/55R20 and would be a near-identical swap for stock 18" wheels w/ P285/60R18.

00x0x_96IFtZLcARy_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg

Thoughts on a Nokian Rotiva AT?

For the Nokian Rotiiva AT All-Season tire, there doesn't appear to be any suitable 17" size and only one 18" size suitable for use on the LC200.

That size is an ISO-Metric Standard Load 275/65R18 116T tire with a RCTIP on the LC200 of 33psi F/R. This size should be slightly larger in diameter (20/32") than the standard P285/60R18 and exhibit a slightly negative scrub radius as opposed to the standard tire which has a zero scrub radius.

That 275/65R18 116T SL tire carries the 3PMSF (3-Peak Mountain SnowFlake) symbol and is described as suitable for All-Season use on highway and light off-road use.

Looks like a good choice if it suits your needs. My experience with Nokian tires on other vehicles (not on the LC200) has been excellent.

HTH

For the Nokian Rotiiva AT All-Season tire, there doesn't appear to be any suitable 17" size and only one 18" size suitable for use on the LC200.

That size is an ISO-Metric Standard Load 275/65R18 116T tire with a RCTIP on the LC200 of 33psi F/R. This size should be slightly larger in diameter (20/32") than the standard P285/60R18 and exhibit a slightly negative scrub radius as opposed to the standard tire which has a zero scrub radius.

That 275/65R18 116T SL tire carries the 3PMSF (3-Peak Mountain SnowFlake) symbol and is described as suitable for All-Season use on highway and light off-road use.

Looks like a good choice if it suits your needs. My experience with Nokian tires on other vehicles (not on the LC200) has been excellent.

HTH

Good info. I actually want a set for my wife’s 4Runner and wondered if anyone has experience with them, especially in snow, so I figured I’d ask here.

I just put a new set of 275/60/R18 Duratracs on my LC200 and am debating leaving them on over my Hakapalitas - but we’ll see.

Good info. I actually want a set for my wife’s 4Runner and wondered if anyone has experience with them, especially in snow, so I figured I’d ask here.

I just put a new set of 275/60/R18 Duratracs on my LC200 and am debating leaving them on over my Hakapalitas - but we’ll see.

Goodyear doesn't make a 275/60R18 Wrangler DuraTrac tire - are you sure about that size?

Not at all! Rechecking has them as 275/70/R18’s

Not to be "that guy," but when it comes to tires, specifics matter.

I'll bet if you look at your tires again you will find they are an LT-Metric LT275/70R18. Goodyear makes that size in 3 variants with a Load Index of either 121 or 125, a Load Range of either D or E, and a Speed Index of either R or Q.

Just sayin' 🤷‍♂️

I hate to be the guy..."will they fit" but I've done a good amount of research and couldn't find an answer in the database. Currently running RW 285/70/17 K02s. No issue obviously. Putting on a winter tire this year, lots of debate out there, but going for it. Found a good deal on 285/60/18 Blizzaks. Wondering if I go with a 25mm offset Icon wheel will I be ok.

1603815069289.png

Not to be "that guy," but when it comes to tires, specifics matter.

I'll bet if you look at your tires again you will find they are an LT-Metric LT275/70R18. Goodyear makes that size in 3 variants with a Load Index of either 121 or 125, a Load Range of either D or E, and a Speed Index of either R or Q.

Just sayin' 🤷‍♂️

All very correct - I was strictly mentioning the size of the tire I put on, not the whole deal!

They are - properly - LT275/70/R18 125/122Q E - or at least that is what it says on the tire.

What page is the link to the database on again?

Seems like the best place to post this noob question. Background most of my driving is on hwy, but often on dirt roads and two tracks (Southern Ooootah). No rock crawling other than the occasional rough spot. Ran Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my previous rig, T100. Liked the tires so could go that direction. Thinking about something slightly larger in diameter and perhaps a bit more aggressive.

Question 1. 285 vs 275 I seen a lot of folks running 275/65R18. How has that affected braking and other performance. I kinda like the idea as there should be less rolling resistance.

Question 2. 285/65R18 vs 285/60R18. With 285 profile the taller 65 may have rubbing but I figure spacers would take that out thus removing need to trim/remove mud flaps. I feel confident that the 275/65R18 will not have any issues. Hopefully a reasonable assumption.

So given my research I have come up with the following:

Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 285/65R18 or 275/65R18
Michelin LTX AT2 in 285/65R18 or 275/65R18
Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT in 285/65R18 or 275/65R18

The Michelin LTX AT2 seems like a good middle of the road but I have not seen a lot of comments on them seen a few on UltraTerrain. Feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Seems like the best place to post this noob question. Background most of my driving is on hwy, but often on dirt roads and two tracks (Southern Ooootah). No rock crawling other than the occasional rough spot. Ran Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my previous rig, T100. Liked the tires so could go that direction. Thinking about something slightly larger in diameter meter and perhaps a bit more aggressive.

Question 1. 285 vs 275 I seen a lot of folks running 275/65R18. How has that affected braking and other performance. I kinda like the idea as there should be less rolling resistance.

Question 2. 285/65R18 vs 285/60R18. With 285 profile the taller 65 may have rubbing but I figure spacers would take that out thus removing need to trim/remove mud flaps. I feel confident that the 275/65R18 will not have any issues. Hopefully a reasonable assumption.

So given my research I have come up with the following:

Michelin Defender LTX M/S in 285/65R18 or 275/65R18
Michelin LTX AT2 in 285/65R18 or 275/65R18
Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT in 285/65R18 or 275/65R18

The Michelin LTX AT2 seems like a good middle of the road but I have not seen a lot of comments on them seen a few on UltraTerrain. Feedback would appreciated.
I just installed Michelin Defender in 275/65r18. Regarding that size: the measured tread width on the 275 Defender is the same as the 285 Dunlops per Tire Rack and per others who have measured. ...the tread width on the Defender seems slightly wider versus the total width compared with some other tires. Lots of 265 spec 10-10.4” wide tires on Tundra, Suburban etc, the 10.8” width of 275/65/18 will not be an issue with braking or other performance. I was concerned I would notice the narrower width but I don’t at all, 275/65r18 looks good on the truck, and the slightly taller (by 0.6”) sidewall looks better than stock to my eyes, although I might be the only one who would notice.

Based on many reports here, 285/65r18 will fit on stock wheels without significant rubbing, as will 275/70r18. But these sizes are almost all LT-E rated which will affect ride comfort, acceleration and braking...so if you don’t need the sidewall toughness of an LT-E tire, the increased size may not be worth it.

There is one tire available in a standard load (non LT) in 275/70r18: the General Grabber APT. At least one MUD member owns this tire and is happy with it, if you really want a taller tire without the ride and mileage penalty of LT-E. All available 285/65r18 tires are LT-E rated at this time.

Based on lots of reviews and research, I think the Defender is a better tire than the Michelin AT2 for most uses (although the AT2 is a fine, long lasting tire). I have no insight into the Goodyears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom