200 series camper suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gord,

It was the dust from many miles on the Trunk Road in Alberta that pushed me to fix my dust problems. Took a few interior panels off to access the many "through floor" penetrations for plumbing, electrical, etc. to sealing those gaps finally ended the dust. The trailer had a belly pan cover too but coming at it from the top finally ended it.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jim, that is on my list also. I intend to duct tape any openings in the "belly pan" too. What did you use to seal the pipe, hose wire holes? Just foam?

Cole, how is your trailer for dust ingress? My Keystone is dreadful, we were spending an hour cleaning it out after 4 hours of gravel. It was so bad that the thermostat didn't work until I took the cover off and blew it out. At one point I drove the entire way from Inuvik to the Klondike (700 Kms) so that we wouldn't have to clean it twice and when we had it cleaned up we drove down the asphalt to a place to spend the night. For a while I was laughing at the dust cloud at every bump but when we stopped we found the trailer full of dust again. I thad come up from the belly pan.
I have a reversible fan to install for the front roof vent so I can have positive air pressure inside. This is my last stab or we may have to avoid gravel roads in the future.
I haven’t had any dust problems with ours and this summer in AK was the hottest/driest on record. I was also amazed the summer driving through the major fires we had when the smoke reduced visibility to less than a quarter-mile. When we got where we were going past the fires we would open the camper and it didn’t smell like smoke inside at all. I have a buddy that has dust problems in his coachman he runs a small HEPA filter off of an inverter when he’s traveling in dusty areas

I’ll also mention on the black rock my belly pan is completely covered from front to back side to side. The heat duct goes underneath as well and it’s fully insulated. I’ve used it down to single digits Fahrenheit with a fully functional water system without it freezing.

Not the best photo, but here is one of my 2018 Oliver Elite II and 2013 LC on the way home back to Minnesota from the 2019 LCDC in Ouray, CO via New Mexico. It’s a nice rig for a couple and a dog or two, but it’d be cramped for much more. It sleeps three with the double twin beds. We got tired of climbing over each other to get in and out of bed in our old RV.

Things we especially like about our Oliver:
  • Fiberglass insulated hull. There is both an inner and outer hull. In-between the hulls there is insulation, all wiring, plumbing, tanks, and heat ducts. Nothing is hanging loose on the outside. Everything is heated.
  • 340 watts of solar on the roof and 4 six volt golf cart batteries mean we can skip hookups except if we need to run the AC. The batteries are located directly over the wheels.
  • The available Natures Head composting toilet cuts back tremendously on water use.
  • Double pane windows keep condensation and noise down.
  • Aluminum frame with Michelin LT tires. (Axles, shocks, and galvanized subframe are steel).
  • NO WOOD in major assemblies. The drawers and a non structural closet wall are wood. That’s it.
  • No slides in order to keep mechanical and water leak issues at a minimum.
It was a major purchase for us, but one were glad we made. The Oliver has quite a bit of clearance, but if I was looking to spend lots of time off road I’d look at the Black Series. I know of at least one couple who sold their Oliver to buy a Black Series to get further off the gravel roads.

I’m actually in the Oliver right now. The two bird dogs are sound asleep on the other bed after a morning ruffed grouse hunt. I’m out bird hunting with the LC/Oliver rig nearly every weekend in the fall. The LC pulls it without issue. I’ve taken it to Moab for spring break, Ouray for the LC event, back home from TN where we bought it, and all over the Dakotas. No issues anywhere with the rig. I’d never buy another sticks and staples RV out of Indiana after having the Oliver.

HTH. Ken.

View attachment 2106573

Thanks Ken! What is the overall height of your Oliver (with roof accessories)? I'm working backwards. We plan on building or buying a bigger garage next year and provisions for a camper would be nice.

Also, what is the Oliver resale market like? Do they depreciate much? Where are people selling them mostly? I assume the Oliver forum. ...Just curious.

Thanks Jim, that is on my list also. I intend to duct tape any openings in the "belly pan" too. What did you use to seal the pipe, hose wire holes? Just foam?

Embarrassed to say it was scraps of bubble wrap, Reflectix tape, random foam bits and whatever else was lying around. Can't see it and it seem to work. Function over form and free. :hillbilly:

Scraps were leftover from my sandwiched bubble wrap and Reflectix window insulators. I Velcro these over the windows when its freezing. Someday I'll pull the belly pan to check out the tanks and plumbing. Maybe raise the outlet /drain, add a tank heater and better seal the underside. Meantime dragging it to warmer weather seems to be working well.

Thanks Jim, I’ll give that a whirl. Or, I could do the paved road and warmer weather thing.

Thanks Ken! What is the overall height of your Oliver (with roof accessories)?

From the Oliver website 9'7" with the AC. More if you add the satellite TV antenna.

Also, what is the Oliver resale market like? Do they depreciate much? Where are people selling them mostly?
Resale is high. Crazy high. Not worth buying used kinda high, unless you can't drive to TN to buy an new one because you're on the west coast. Many are sold via the Oliver forum on the Oliver website. If you are serious, call the sales office, they often know of used ones for sale before they get listed.

Since so few have been manufactured (500?) there isn't an established NADA used value for Olivers yet. Rumor is banks won't finance a used Oliver travel trailer because it doesn't have a NADA value listed. Those who need to finance often buy new because of this. If you're set on used, you should get your financing in order before making an offer.

From the Oliver website 9'7" with the AC. More if you add the satellite TV antenna.

Resale is high. Crazy high. Not worth buying used kinda high, unless you can't drive to TN to buy an new one because you're on the west coast. Many are sold via the Oliver forum on the Oliver website. If you are serious, call the sales office, they often know of used ones for sale before they get listed.

Since so few have been manufactured (500?) there isn't an established NADA used value for Olivers yet. Rumor is banks won't finance a used Oliver travel trailer because it doesn't have a NADA value listed. Those who need to finance often buy new because of this. If you're set on used, you should get your financing in order before making an offer.

That's what I figured. That's not a bad thing in my opinion. I just don't like taking a big hit a few years later if life or priorities change. Personally, I'd rather pay double and lose little vs paying half losing a lot. Sounds like buying a Toyota. :)

We won't be looking seriously until next year. Just nice to know what's available.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

I'm on my 4th. trailer. Started with an Airstream 22 footer pulled it with my 2005 F-150 King Ranch. But wanted to go smaller on tow vehicle as daily driver. So, had and sold a Casita way too small. Then on to a 2017 Lance 1475 which was great no issues towing with great storage and good quality. Just traded it for a 2020 Lance 1475 S (with small slide) many upgrades from the 2017 could not be happier.

Hey, just a quick tip that you may never need. I have had issues with the P3 throwing a "output shorted, no brakes" for a while now and after checking out everything from changing controllers to changing brake assemblies I have finally found the intermittent problem.
I found an internet post that mentioned the brake wires going through the axles and wearing through the insulation. I pulled out the wires from the axle and found that there was about a foot of extra wire and in the middle of the axle the wire had been worn through.
I changed the wires to on top of the axles and put them in a piece of hose and now my brakes are 100%. I guess rattling along over 2000 km's of gravel highway caused the loop in the wire to wear and, only intermittently, throw the code. It'll probably never happen to you but if it does the cure is easy.

That is my thread linked in the first post, I have owned an Oliver Legacy Elite II for three and a half years now. I would not trade it for any other brand, period. If you watch this really long factory tour, you will understand why they are so good. ...

EABB2BB5-9C4B-4064-86BF-3A342FE75ED3.jpeg

BCE4D36E-F23A-421E-9357-2179C25D310C.jpeg

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
The Bruder's probably deserve a mention here but they start bordering on exotic with prices to match. I especially like their promotional material and how they are often paired with Land Cruisers. :)

EXP4-

Larger EXP-6 variant that came out recently

Last edited:
Hmmm, that bigger Bruder is really tempting, if I could get one for the price of my Ollie (hah!) I would be willing, for no other reason than to see all the dropped jaws when I took it to Overland Expo. The organizers will not let my Ollie camp there - too “RV - ish” I guess.

I love the suspension but I bet it is a wallowing pig on twisty highways. The cabin filtration is a huge plus, as are all the pots, pans, dishes and glasswear that magically remain upright and unbroken after bombing around offroad.

Thanks for the videos. I forwarded them to my wife, she complains that the Ollie can't go on those tight rutted secondary forest roads to the neat primitive spots. This would work.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Since this is becoming a fiberglass RV thread- we’ve had an Escape 19 for the past several years that has been great for our family of four. No, it’s not built for the Australian outback, but does fine on FS/BLM roads across the west. Great for a base camping in one place for a few days, which is how we usually travel. I wouldn’t want anything larger or heavier. YMMV.

Edit: I echo what others have said about there being no perfect trailer, everything is a compromise based on your own needs and usage. For us, the big reasons we landed on the Escape were the layout of the 19 (better than other FG trailer layouts for four people, IMO) and the quality/price ratio. The Canadian dollar was very weak at the time we purchased. My understanding is that prices have gone up a fair amount in the last couple of years, so Escapes may not be the bargain they once were.

38574107-9CFE-4251-93D6-FCEF50C91B30.jpeg
1B306F07-F2D7-491B-BA1F-D6E2532390B7.jpeg

Last edited:
My wife loves camping in a trailer and i don’t but this could make a great compromise. Anyone experience this brand and or camper? Go Off Road With the OPUS OP 15 Hybrid Caravan | GearJunkie
A couple we camp with has an Opus Air Off Road. It takes 5 minutes to set up which requires unlatching the cover, folding it open, and turning on the air compressor.

The space and quality are amazing and they can always get it back to the FS dispersed campsites we like to frequent.

Highly recommend that model. There can be a lot of trade offs in how you travel and camp that arise from a TT. Sure a pad site in a state park beats a hotel room, but for me and my family (dog included) we prefer more remote (and less expensive) habitation.

Not sure if it would peak any interest but I am getting ready to sell a gently used 2018 Aliner Somerset Evolution E3 pop-up camper with A/C. We have one more trip planned at the end of this month before it hits the interwebs.

4C9E2D0A-1C25-47DA-911B-A69EF1127B8F.jpeg

1636C8A2-2A75-4BD4-B7DD-4317E83E8C55.jpeg

Totally depends on your needs and if you're going to take it off road or not most us manufacturers are not built well enough to take offraod. I bought a mission Overland trailer the guy is up in Canada he founded off-grid trailers and then sold out. I use it for remote camping or if I just take the kids but my wife is like yours and much prefers the larger TT we also have an older Airstream. I looked at the Casita Oliver Opus as well there are way more options now than there were just a few years ago..good luck with your decision!

I enjoyed watching these guys tow travel trailers over more extreme terrain. Not for me, but interesting just the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom