200 SAS / 200 on Portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you want, drive over to Hickory and visit BudBuilt. Bud is the only guy I will let touch my trucks, that and he's my good friend. He's got my 200 right now, building skid plates to be available to the market (and I'm sure you know how good BudBuilt skids are). With mine in the shop, you could talk about the feasibility of SASing one. I'm guessing you got the money with paying $700 for that event, which is cool, not saying its not. I think that could be a good place to start.

Any thoughts on timeline for skids? glad he's making them!

Off-road Evolution SAS'd a Tundra back in 2010. If you are unfamiliar, the 2nd gen Tundra is based on the 200, so I would research that vehicle for a start. Falken Tire sponsored the build for Sema.

Any thoughts on timeline for skids? glad he's making them!
We are still playing with the design, so probably a few months, best case scenario. I used to live right by him and we pionioered the FJ tummy tuck with stock t-case years ago.

I was going to get the ARB skids, but was very disappointed in the design. Few mounting points, have to remove the front plate to change the oil filter, and a t-case skid that still lets the drive train take the impact load of the truck, no thanks.

So knowing I was moving back to the east coast, I told Bud he could have my 200. This set up will address all of those. I've bent the frame on toyotas with skid plates that only attach in six places to the frame, so I can say that unlike the ARBs being a plate that takes general impacts from a rock that is just a little too high, bud's are going to be strait up rock crawling skids.

Momma always told me good things come to those who wait... Slee rear... Bud's belly armor...

I'm friggin anxious though!!

I'll be interested in looking at these... will the design work with a Dif drop? Gotten info that the ARB will not.

We are still playing with the design, so probably a few months, best case scenario. I used to live right by him and we pionioered the FJ tummy tuck with stock t-case years ago.

I was going to get the ARB skids, but was very disappointed in the design. Few mounting points, have to remove the front plate to change the oil filter, and a t-case skid that still lets the drive train take the impact load of the truck, no thanks.

So knowing I was moving back to the east coast, I told Bud he could have my 200. This set up will address all of those. I've bent the frame on toyotas with skid plates that only attach in six places to the frame, so I can say that unlike the ARBs being a plate that takes general impacts from a rock that is just a little too high, bud's are going to be strait up rock crawling skids.

I've also considered spending the night with Keira Knightley but that doesn't make it realistic, feasible, or financially sound.

I've considered that as well, at length. Sadly, I don't think she has considered spending the night with me. :cry:

After doing a double axle swap on a LX470, the next progression is to SAS the 200 Series.

I have already worked through all the long travel IFS options for the 200 (which are great).

As you mentioned in the debate of swap a V8 into a 80 or SAS something already a V8,

after going both directions, I prefer the SAS of a already V8 vehicle unless you absolutely have an attraction to

the 80 series body style. The biggest thing to consider isn't just the metal work. The ABS

sensors have to be retained for braking and traction. Also you will need to consider the KDSS

system in this case you will either have to modify or remove it completely and add a traditional

sway bar system.

Your loved ones will enjoy the interior of the 200 more as well. After all, Happy wife, Happy life.

But overall the IFS system on the 200 is much more stout than the 100, and unless you are going rock crawling

or adding huge tires (which I usually do both) you most likely don't need to SAS a 200.

Overall, it really comes down to your commitment to the project. As I have been one going in, through, and out of completed massive projects I will recommend qualifying yourself before commiting. It takes a great deal of time, patience, and of course Expense to explore uncharted waters.

Last edited:
After doing a double axle swap on a LX470, the next progression is to SAS the 200 Series.

I have already worked through all the long travel IFS options for the 200 (which are great).

As you mentioned in the debate of swap a V8 into a 80 or SAS something already a V8,

after going both directions, I prefer the SAS of a already V8 vehicle unless you absolutely have an attraction to

the 80 series body style.

Your loved ones will enjoy the interior of the 200 more as well. After all, Happy wife, Happy life.

But overall the IFS system on the 200 is much more stout than the 100, and unless you are going rock crawling

or adding huge tires (which I usually do both) you most likely don't need to SAS a 200.
Holy crap I gotta see your rigs sometime. Just gotta make sure I don't follow you on any trails haha... where in SoCal?

And I have a couple noob questions... would a SAS automatically allow you run to bigger tires or would you still need to do a body lift? And what is the overall draw/benefit of solid axle, is it just less likely to break when dragged over rocks? True or false, SA is more for slow crawling than anything else?

I'm curious because all of the fastest dessert racers and buggies rock IFS, IFS being better both on and off-road for speed and handling.

And btw I say go for it, would love to see a monster 200! Are there no other V8 platforms that don't cost $80k?

Disclosure: Don't worry about following me, I feel I am rather reserved. Love my rig, and already know my wife would cut me off if I destroyed it. Really I am a camping guy by heart and enjoy trails with scenic views the most- and of course family/kids friendly. The monster truck angle is just a childhood desire to own a real monster truck but having the reality that a full size monster truck is neither drivable on the street nor financially feasible. Most of the stuff I do is completely overkill and/or not necessary for normal family fun or over landing style activities. Although my kids love it, so that keeps me motivated.
Yes there is a transition to IFS in many competitive formats as that technology improves. Awhile back, there just wasn't enough developments that were better than a solid axle. So in many cases, where budget was concerned - solid axles were the only game in town.
With that being said, technology in production vehicles (200 series included) is light years ahead of previous model years. And also the aftermarket is catching up to the point that you can basically go run the Baja 1000 with your 200 and all commercially available bolt on parts and have a great shot. The 200 is such an amazing, under appreciated vehicle with unreleased potential. Most owners don't even realize the capability they have right out of the box.

This is why I feel we are at a crossroads- where a person needs to qualify their motivation prior to taking on a massive project.
Do I have the resources, patience, or time to deal with it? Will I gain enough advantage? Is this even necessary for me?

Not to try and not sell someone on customization, but to be realistic- the 200 is a vehicle that needs very little to become a dominator. Theres a reason why so many of them are converted into armored military machines. Just plain awesome.

SoCal FZJ80

Yes, would love to see more of your projects! And I always appreciate insightful posts from insiders like you. More more more. Thanks.

Thank you for the insight. The MB G 4x4 by 2 (225k from the factory) got me thinking about a Toyota Monster truck. Also, last year the pro guy at the 36 hour race was running 39.5s on a Jeep. Makes no sense at all, just wondering if people are considering it. Throwing a big v8 in an 80 series is awesome just the newest version is still 20 years old. You buy a high mileage 200 for 27 and spend 20. Or maybe a kit since the 200 front end does not use torsion bars. Possibly easier than converting a 100 to SAS. 37s on a 381 HP Toyota Reliable drive train with a modern interior and modern AC.

g4.jpg

g3.JPG

Still kills me every time I see where they put the exhaust tips on the MB. WTF were they thinking?

They are thinking playa 4 real BRO. ;<)

Jeep Wrangler vs Mercedes G550 vs Toyota Land Cruiser Comparison

This is what I think of now with the G wagon.

But seriously, like @SoCal FZJ80 said is spot on, know these are big projects and there is a difference in true function over perceived abilities. Or like I tell my team when we work with foreign armies, never mistake capability for enthusiasm. That's the only reason I brought up more of a "why?" response at first.

If you got the time/skill or the money to pay a capable shop, do it! But if you do, don't just put a 37 under there, get a 39-40, rebuild the body to sit the truck low for center of gravity and enjoy a rock buggy 200. Kinda think what AEV does with the RAM, only a 3" lift, but redesigned fenders to fit 40s

Have you seen Kevin Berethelot's MegaLex? I could see someone doing something like this to a 200 before going with SAS. Now his is actually a GX470 body on a 2nd gen Tundra frame with a Tundra LT front end and multilink rear.

1576189644274.png

Also, if you've ever seen Big Mike's Tacoma (Marlin Crawlers), he has specifically avoided SAS on this thing and tried to make it the most capable IFS truck. I've seen this thing in person, and I don't see why anyone could argue it needs a solid axle front. He has it very well balanced front-rear. Plus, 580:1 gearing can do wonders.

1576189932298.png

Have you seen Kevin Berethelot's MegaLex? I could see someone doing something like this to a 200 before going with SAS. Now his is actually a GX470 body on a 2nd gen Tundra frame with a Tundra LT front end and multilink rear.

View attachment 2155087
It actually still is GX470s frame (Pardo 120), it just has the 2nd gen Tundra subframe on the front for the lower control arms.

I only know because I built skids for it.

Big Mike’s Tacoma is very capable for west coast wheeling. While super low crawl ratios are amazing, yet on the east coast, they aren’t nearly as significant.

I had triple cases in my early truck (1,053:1 ratio) and it was worthless past 200:1. You need more articulation and height for climbing up big rocks out of mud holes.

so while IFS does good on sandpaper terrain, it still is meh on anything slippery.

That’s my opinion, doesn’t mean it’s the final say so.

Last edited:
One huge consideration would be getting an axle to clear the oil pan on the 3UR. Normally I’d say using a frame designed for IFS without relief above the axle would be an issue, but we are going to lift it anyway.

But the pan hangs pretty low on these things.. it would be tough to predict minimum lift but I’m pretty sure it would have to be very very tall to make it all work together.

It actually still the GX470s frame (Pardo 120), it just has the 2nd gen Tundra subframe on the front for the lower control arms.

I only know because I built skids for it.
It looks like his rear width is on par with the front, any idea how he did that?

With a tundra front end I’d assume tundra rear axle as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom