200 SAS / 200 on Portals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone considered a 200 SAS or 200 on Portals?

I ask because of all the cash being spent putting V8s in 80 series.

I realize this is expensive. But now you have a modern truck, with 381hp from Toyota.

I see 35s on a IFS 200s.

The 200 does not use torsion bars so hopefully the conversion would be less than converting a 100.

HAs anyone done this or considered it?

The new 4x4 by 2 g wag benz is 225k. So you could have 200 on 37s for 55k (2008 LC for 35k and 20k for the conversion).

Or how about portals under a 200?

Thank you for the input.

Funny.

Throwing 15k at an older 80 or 15k at a new truck that could be a daily driver.

I've SAS'ed quite a few vehicles over the years and really thought about doing it to the 200. But for the same reason I wouldn't buy a wrangler to make a rock crawler, I would just build a rock buggy from the get go, because I could have far better product for much less money. While anything can be turned into something, some platforms don't make since for some applications other than to be the only one to do it.

How many more places could a SAS'ed 200 go that one on 34s couldn't? I think that is the real question that determines if the modification is worth the money.

For me, I can run a slightly lifted on 33s 200 through the Rubicon and the Dusy to up escalator in Moab and never damage anything. Anything more than that, I just would want a buggy, to make my wheeling a little more carefree. But that's me.

I'm sure one day it will happen, probably when someone can buy a 200 for 10k.

This 200 would be a daily driver and do races like 36 hours of uwharrie. Not looking for a rock crawler. Looking for over 300 hp from a Toyota drivetrain.

I realize it less expensive to put a ls motor in an 80.

Just brain storming.

The number of v8 conversions for 80s brought it up.

This 200 would be a daily driver and do races like 36 hours of uwharrie. Not looking for a rock crawler. Looking for over 300 hp from a Toyota drivetrain.

I realize it less expensive to put a ls motor in an 80.

Just brain storming.

The number of v8 conversions for 80s brought it up.
I've done the 36 hours of uwharrie, (used to be stationed at Bragg) and I ran it in a long travel IFS FJ. That said, I used to go UP Daniel with a stock FJ. That's what I'm getting at, I don't see how the money to SAS a 200 will be better on that terrain than you just buying a 200 and lifting while keeping the IFS.

There were no Fj cruisers in the 36 hour hour race last year. We were one of the only toyotas.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not being a nay sayer, I'm the Nay Slayer! I'll try anything. And a 200 SASed will be fun, I always say that everything is determined by cost. If you got the money, do whatever you want. But in my opinion, SASing a 200 does not make any reasonable sense other that to be very cool an unique.

I do agree, 35s would work.

There was a 4Runner, that went home early, an 80 and the 100 we were in. Lots of jeeps.

There were no Fj cruisers in the 36 hour hour race last year. We were one of the only toyotas.
I realize this is an actual even now, that's cool. I thought you were talking about the little event that was the precursor to this new thing.

Makes sense. It was fun.

Hey looking at this event, do you have to have a production vehicle? if not, I would go right back to my original comment, the cost of a SAS and a 200 builds a pretty sweat rock buggy and a truck to tow it/daily drive.

Not 100% sure what kind of event this is but if you haven't already follow @cruiseroutfit and Monica, that truck is amazing and I believe runs in stock class (it's certainly not stock however)!

I would think we'd see a IFS/IRS before SAS but that's just me. Then again just build a buggy like Taco has suggested.

I can't disagree that a portal SAS'd 200 would be incredibly cool. May not be completely practical, but cool nonetheless.

I'm with Taco2Cruiser that with some straightforward mods, there's not much the 200 can't tackle.

Better than the 100-series is that the 200 also has a straight forward tundra long arm solution. Pairing that with a 1" body-lift, and some 35's (or 37s) if you're willing to deal with modding the body support, would be the ticket!

36 hour endurance event with challenges. We came in Third last year in a 100. Has to be street legal.

U can not leave the compound during the event unless doing an event. Sleep in tents.

Loads of fun.

If you want, drive over to Hudson and visit BudBuilt. Bud is the only guy I will let touch my trucks, that and he's my good friend. He's got my 200 right now, building skid plates to be available to the market (and I'm sure you know how good BudBuilt skids are). With mine in the shop, you could talk about the feasibility of SASing one. I'm guessing you got the money with paying $700 for that event, which is cool, not saying its not. I think that could be a good place to start.

Last edited:
No 200. Just brainstorming.

They lowered the price for the event.

Budbuilt is in hickory? Where in hickory?

Considered? Yes.
I've also considered spending the night with Keira Knightley but that doesn't make it realistic, feasible, or financially sound.

If we all did the things we "considered..."?

-We'd all be dead many times over...
...since I'm pretty sure me wife has considered lopping off me head...

:princess: :deadhorse: :flush:

Last edited:
I have been modding Lc's since 1997. I was trying to flip the thought process out to the future. Instead of a new chevy motor in an older Toyota, how about a solid axle under the 200. Don't want a rock truck, just a higher HP Land Cruiser.

IN was thinking solid axle since the 200 no longer uses torsion bars like the 100. Maybe be easier to configure or build a conversion kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom