2.7L Turbo L3B Swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody consider the 2.7 Turbo in the Silverado 1500 for a swap? Wondering if it would be similar to other Chevy swaps (harness/accessories) or if you’d be paving the way in uncharted territories…

Hp: 310
Tq: 348
New High power reportedly has 420 ft lbs

Edit:
Was looking at the Cummins 2.8 but don’t want a Chinese built engine in my baby. Always looking at LS’s (LQ9 specifically) but wondering if it’s a bit overkill

Last edited:
Well... Maybe. For me it would be a great big no. Lets talk about why.

In general, these smaller displacement boosted engines do decently well but trade longevity and durability for efficiency and emissions. One of the great things about the chassis we are working with is that even after 30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, they are still strong, durable and capable of more life with reasonable upkeep and moderate investment.

Do you think that a small displacement, boosted engine will be around in a few hundred thousand miles and a few decades of use? I am guessing no.
As such, I tend to not only favor the LSs of the world, I favor the earlier versions such as the Gen 3 engines that don't have the active fuel management or displacement on demand.

In addition, I REALLY like the idea of doing an aluminum LS and a 4L60e trans and taking maybe 400lbs off the front end of my truck but there is cause to think that going with a steel block and a 4L80e trans may offer good weight savings but a more durable foundation more in line with the trucks character.

Well... Maybe. For me it would be a great big no. Lets talk about why.

In general, these smaller displacement boosted engines do decently well but trade longevity and durability for efficiency and emissions. One of the great things about the chassis we are working with is that even after 30 years and hundreds of thousands of miles, they are still strong, durable and capable of more life with reasonable upkeep and moderate investment.

Do you think that a small displacement, boosted engine will be around in a few hundred thousand miles and a few decades of use? I am guessing no.
As such, I tend to not only favor the LSs of the world, I favor the earlier versions such as the Gen 3 engines that don't have the active fuel management or displacement on demand.

In addition, I REALLY like the idea of doing an aluminum LS and a 4L60e trans and taking maybe 400lbs off the front end of my truck but there is cause to think that going with a steel block and a 4L80e trans may offer good weight savings but a more durable foundation more in line with the trucks character.

Valid points. Guess I was just thinking that stock turbo setups (aside from say BMWs) seem to have decent reliability from what I can tell, though I'm certainly not an expert. I agree that the lack of fuel management/disp on demand would probably better suit an at home swap.

There is no replacement for displacement

Ugh, I'm annoyed that you're right.

The biggest issue is that the reliability is unknown but there is replacement for displacement, it's forced induction. A 430 ftlbs engine mated to a modern 8 speed auto would be a great combo. A full size crew cab 4wd truck these are slated to go in, is right around the same weight as an 80. I bet driveability would be better in every way with a considerable bump in fuel economy. Time will tell.

Interesting idea for sure, but being such a new engine adapting it to a transmission or the transmission it comes with to the transfer case would likely be difficult. Same thing with say a Ford Ecoboost engine, which to me is interesting because there is good aftermarket for it and you can buy a turnkey swap, but transferring that power would be really hard

There is no replacement for displacement
There is, it's called forced induction.

Forced induction is magic but its not free. By that I mean not only that it costs money but its also more complex and taxes other components. I love boost mind you but chances of one of these high boost light engines being alive after 150k miles is slim. Seriously. So feel free to turbo it up but by the time you add up a turbo and the plumbing and the other things you need to have, that big fat aluminum 6.2 liter LS sure does start looking like a pretty strong long term relationship.

8 speed transmissions. OMG YES! I dearly love where transmission tech has gone in the last 15 years. We are all pretty focused on the HP numbers but facts are that transmission performance is what is driving many of the recent leaps in performance while keeping good cruising character.

Where we can expect to see huge advantages is in being able to use FAR deeper axle ratios.

Throwing a ZF8 or any of its offshoots in front of a common transfer case would allow us to run 35" tires and 5.29 gears in the diffs and still loaf down the highway at under 2000rpm. Seriously.

Valid points. Guess I was just thinking that stock turbo setups (aside from say BMWs) seem to have decent reliability from what I can tell, though I'm certainly not an expert. I agree that the lack of fuel management/disp on demand would probably better suit an at home swap.

Ugh, I'm annoyed that you're right.
Funny you mention BMW. Check out the BMW M57, it would he a much better swap. It’s a great engine, and is incredibly reliable and long lasting. I’d look at that way before I looked at the other one. Lots of swaps done in other vehicles and good standalone parts support.

@dsycks If I went to all that trouble, I do just a bit more and go 6l80/90 over a 4l80. Shoot, I’d keep my A442 before I put a 4l80 in.

I have a little experience with these low displacement turbocharged motors with trucks at my job.

IMO, while they really do pull when you get deep into the throttle, they're gutless in part throttle situations. Which, I guess, is exactly what you would expect from a turbocharged engine.

Funny you mention BMW. Check out the BMW M57, it would he a much better swap. It’s a great engine, and is incredibly reliable and long lasting. I’d look at that way before I looked at the other one. Lots of swaps done in other vehicles and good standalone parts support.

@dsycks If I went to all that trouble, I do just a bit more and go 6l80/90 over a 4l80. Shoot, I’d keep my A442 before I put a 4l80 in.

My experience is with my twin turbo N54. The turbos have a tendency to go out and are $$$$ to replace. They ARE a blast to drive though.

My experience is with my twin turbo N54. The turbos have a tendency to go out and are $$$$ to replace. They ARE a blast to drive though.
I think almost any BMW is a blast to drive. Owning one and it being reliable is another story. I think the M57 is the exception to the rule. N54 is gas, isn’t it?

BMW turbo diesel from a 335d, X5d or similar would honestly be a really compelling truck. Like, deeply. I have driven an X5d in anger and they will make some ruckus.

As far as the 6L80 over the 4L80... Agree fully. I am very tempted by that transmission myself as its in effect a GM licensed version of the ZF6 that is the older brother of the ZF8 which is the transmission I want to convert all our race cars too us. :p

BMW turbo diesel from a 335d, X5d or similar would honestly be a really compelling truck. Like, deeply. I have driven an X5d in anger and they will make some ruckus.

As far as the 6L80 over the 4L80... Agree fully. I am very tempted by that transmission myself as its in effect a GM licensed version of the ZF6 that is the older brother of the ZF8 which is the transmission I want to convert all our race cars too us. :p
My wife had an LR3. Basically the same trans. Loved it. I’ve been looking at 6l80 standalone. Very confusing for me, but I’m learning more about it.

Anybody consider the 2.7 Turbo in the Silverado 1500 for a swap? Wondering if it would be similar to other Chevy swaps (harness/accessories) or if you’d be paving the way in uncharted territories…

Hp: 310
Tq: 348
New High power reportedly has 420 ft lbs

Edit:
Was looking at the Cummins 2.8 but don’t want a Chinese built engine in my baby. Always looking at LS’s (LQ9 specifically) but wondering if it’s a bit overkill
My first question is why consider a 2.7 diesel? Have you driven a LS swapped 80 series? I don't think it's overkill. I think it drives like it should have in oem form. The GM diesel is probably very doable but personally I would probably want a tad more displacement even in a diesel.

My first question is why consider a 2.7 diesel? Have you driven a LS swapped 80 series? I don't think it's overkill. I think it drives like it should have in oem form. The GM diesel is probably very doable but personally I would probably want a tad more displacement even in a diesel.
This 2.7 in question is not a diesel. In theory there are some benefits over the typical LS swap. I dont think 20MPG would be out of the question with this combo with more power than the early 4.8/5.3 LS swaps and a nice 8 speed transmission. Would I be the first to do it, no. But do think it has merit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom