1st Post - New FZJ73 - Stuck (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ilmmct

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello forum,

I have been lurking for a while as I waited on my new to me 1997 FZJ73.

In somewhat of a bind and have read several posts about the steering wheel locked and the key won’t turn to ACC or ignition … no luck wiggling the wheel to the left (the only direction it will turn) and gently jiggling the key.

I have tried flipping the key over and relieving tension from the cylinder … but no luck so far.

The truck is in a big box retailer’s parking lot and my next step is likely a flatbed tow.

I am going to try a little WD-40 in the key tumbler per one of the 70 Series posts I read. Are there some other reasonably simple things you’d suggest I try in the parking lot before I request the tow out?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hello forum,

I have been lurking for a while as I waited on my new to me 1997 FZJ73.

In somewhat of a bind and have read several posts about the steering wheel locked and the key won’t turn to ACC or ignition … no luck wiggling the wheel to the left (the only direction it will turn) and gently jiggling the key.

I have tried flipping the key over and relieving tension from the cylinder … but no luck so far.

The truck is in a big box retailer’s parking lot and my next step is likely a flatbed tow.

I am going to try a little WD-40 in the key tumbler per one of the 70 Series posts I read. Are there some other reasonably simple things you’d suggest I try in the parking lot before I request the tow out?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
here are the 2 informative posts on this subject that I have read and have tried with no luck yet:

How to fix locked key on my Toyota Land Cruiser Serie 70 ? - https://victoriamgclub.com/how-to-fix-locked-key-on-my-toyota-land-cruiser-serie-70/

The steering wheel of my Toyota Land Cruiser Serie 70 is blocked, what should I do? - https://lepeupleelectrique.fr/en/the-steering-wheel-of-my-toyota-land-cruiser-serie-70-is-stuck-what-to-do/

Tried all the ideas online including some WD40 in the cylinder last night.

This morning I went to the parking lot and wiggled and jiggled some more and the key moved to ACC. From ACC the key moved to Start and I was able to drive the truck home to my garage.

I pulled the key out and it’s back into the same “stuck” situation now … but at least it’s in my garage.

Any ideas based on this “odd” behavior?

I’ve got some exploration and sorting out on my end. Is it time to replace the Ignition Barrel/Key and Ignition Switch?

Any direction or advice would be appreciated.

@SNLC thanks for your reply. I did some more research and since the key no longer works in any of the other cylinders (front doors, rear L door), I working first with @ToyotaMatt to try to get a “good” key made using the OEM key code.

I confirmed with the PO that they never changed any of the cylinders from factory stock.

Does this seam like a reasonable 1st step, since the barrel and ignition switch replacement are a level of complexity (for my mechanical skill level) and a bump in cost?

Yes replace the switch and barrel, yours is done.

Cheers
@SNLC thanks for your reply. I did some more research and since the key no longer works in any of the other cylinders (front doors, rear L door), I working first with @ToyotaMatt to try to get a “good” key made using the OEM key code.

I confirmed with the PO that they never changed any of the cylinders from factory stock.

Does this seam like a reasonable 1st step, since the barrel and ignition switch replacement are a level of complexity (for my mechanical skill level) and a bump in cost?

- Options now exist , that have NOT in the past for the entire 1997-Older 70 series community Globally .........

- globally speaking , that is ..

- i can and do factory SST machine cut to the Factory KEY code any land Cruiser owner operator provides me a photo of , that code factory stamped , on a passenger side lock cylinder , OEM little CHROME KEY tag thingy , or stamped on a factory KEY itself ...

- i DO NOT look up key codes via ANY frame # or VIN # , so please do not ask ,

- the below example TECH. images are from my understanding ALL 1997 - OLDER 70 SERIES ,

- my NipponDenso SST Hard Drive is up to date for ALL Global key keys codes , globally :)

- passenger side lock cylinder like below :

- i do not store or record key codes , so write it down please
- THIS IS THE WAY

-

-

-

1.111.jpg
8C753333-48D1-406D-90F3-700F4F9B34BB.jpeg

90999-00104 5.jpeg

1694983612847.png

1694983638608.png

1694983663312.png

1694983678559.png

1694983705537.png

1694983721640.png

1694983743176.png

Last edited:
Thank you @ToyotaMatt I will get the Passenger Door Panel off and get you the key code via PM. It might a few days before I’ve got the code for you.

you will need to go to harbor freight or NAPA and get a simple BODY clips spoons and door card popper Gismos kit ...

- THIS is EXACLTY what you need

OTC is the TOYOTA SST Maker

all plastic non-marring

THIS IS THE WAY !

Amazon product ASIN B000I28MKU

and a REAL paper print media FSM be helpful ?

too

1695043119247.png

download (7).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom