1HZ takes too long to build oil pressure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
This just doesn't seem right to me. On cold start it takes upwards of 5-6 seconds for oil pressure to register on my gauge. I've swapped oil filters (Taiwanese made Toyota brand) to make sure the first didn't have a defective oil drainback valve and the second behaves exactly like the first.

Am I missing something here? Why doesn't it seem like my oil system is staying primed?

At 500 rpm they wont come up quick. It is doing what all 1 HZs will do at rpms below specs. I start mine at about 900. If you take these oil filters off when cold, they still have oil in them. And if you pull an old 1HZ apart, they have an oily film on all the moving parts.

Last edited:
When my BJ was running with the DD gauges it jumped quick but that was usually starting with the pedal down. That was also using the oil sensor with the DD kit.

I have the same problem on my 2H! In fact I just started a thread this week about it. The only thing is mine did not do it before, and now, the oil pressure sensor shuts off the engine after 5 seconds. The pressure always comes up instantly upon the second start. No idea what the issue could be.

I've got 500 miles on the engine right now. There is still a good amount of noticable blow-by (judging from the puffs coming from the oil fill cap) so I'm going to swap the oil and filter this week with more break-in oil and keep at it. I've been running it as hard as I'm able.

I'll try starting the engine with the throttle lock at about 900 rpm and see if the oil pressure comes up any quicker. I've also ordered a new oil pressure relief and check valve assemblies. ...just to see if something there is to blame.

Last edited:
What makes you think the oil pressure is too slow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom