Oil pressure not reading (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
24 volt 1979 BJ40 with Aussie 3B engine. Had no oil pressure reading when purchased. Grounded the wire leading to the sensor to verify that the gauge was good. It went to max as it should. Replaced the sensor with a Sankei KG-813. Still no pressure reading. Performed the sensor test in the FSM. With engine off test light was off. With engine on at idle test light glowed faintly but never did flash. Did I get a faulty sender or is it the wrong one? The old sensor was marked 12v while the replacement was 24 v. If I recall correctly the old sensor also failed the FSM test protocol. What to do?

Sorry for not answering your question, but here's my opinion and proposed solution.

--> Even if it worked, I wouldn't trust a 45-year-old gauge. Install a mechanical gauge instead. Reliable and real-time reading.

Sorry for not answering your question, but here's my opinion and proposed solution.

--> Even if it worked, I wouldn't trust a 45-year-old gauge. Install a mechanical gauge instead. Reliable and real-time reading.
I hear you. Was hoping to make it work. Additional information—I reinstalled the old 12 volt sender. With the engine at off idle rpm, the gauge rose up to the first hash mark and then settled back to hiding out of sight. Not sure what that means if anything.

Test oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

I doubt a 24 volt gauge is going to work in a 12 volt system.

Volts, amps, resistance are all intrinsically related (OHMS Law).
Change one, the value of the others changes.

If the 24 volt gauge responds, its likely to be incorrect

Follow-up information from post #1.
Got a replacement oil pressure sender from my vendor thinking maybe I got a poor one the first time. Gauge works fine when lead is grounded. Installed replacement and still no reading. Am curious now about the FSM sensor test Hope BJ40green can set me straight. Questions to be answered:
1) Is the electrical source for the test light 12 or 24volts? My rig is 24v.
2) If 24v should the test light be 24v too?
3) FSM shows3.4 watt bulb. Is that critical?

A brand new 24V Sankei oil pressure sender burned up two gauges in my '89 BJ73. After finding a 3rd gauge (that was difficult!), I stopped taking chances and replaced the Sankei with an OEM Toyota sender. No problems ever since.

I'm still not 100% sure of the culprit... Had my first two gauges gone bad, or was it the aftermarket sender all along? When in doubt, go OEM. The Toyota part number for my sender is 83520-60020. Yours looks to be 83520-55020 but do confirm. They're available from overseas part brokers.

Last edited:
A brand new 24V Sankei oil pressure sender burned up two gauges in my '89 BJ73. After finding a 3rd gauge (that was difficult!), I stopped taking chances and replaced the Sankei with an OEM Toyota sender. No problems ever since.

I'm still not 100% sure of the culprit... Had my first two gauges gone bad, or was it the aftermarket sender all along? When in doubt, go OEM. The Toyota part number for my sender is 83520-60020. Yours looks to be 83520-55020 but do confirm. They're available from overseas part brokers.
Follow-up on progress: tested sensor using bj40green method (12 volt source thru 4w bulb to sender connection). Got a slow flash with engine running. Then grounded the sensor wire thru 4w bulb to determine gauge response. It slowly rose to max deflection. Reconnected sensor wire to sensor and started engine but still no reading. If both the sensor and the gauge pass these checks what am I missing?

Measure with an external normal oil pressure gauge if there is any pressure. Quite normal that there is almost nothing at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom