Builds 1HNDRD build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well...
I have already begun a relationship with the 80. It was a pleasure driving her home from Kansas City and she's as solid as a rock. However, after a lot of consideration I have pretty much concluded that I acted too hastily and purchased "too much" 80. I believe I will try to sell her and look for a less-perfect replacement. My point is that I don't need yet another daily driver and this 80 easily qualifies..
Anyone interested?
Here is the original For Sale ad from the previous owner.
Just throwing it out there..

BTW.. I'm definitely keeping the 1HNDRD.. Looking forward to taking it to the next level.

Last edited:
Seeking recommendations..
I currently have Slee heavy springs in the rear..
Should I add airbags or switch to OME 864s?
I need to eliminate the excessive squat when loaded...

Seeking recommendations..
I currently have Slee heavy springs in the rear..
Should I add airbags or switch to OME 864s?
I need to eliminate the excessive squat when loaded...
Was just discussing this with J from @TRAIL TAILOR last night. I purchased a set of constant progressive springs. Highly recommend you reach out to him for first class customer service. Mine shipped today and I can give you real life experience in a week or 2.

I'm running Airlift 1000s in addition to OME 865 springs. The 865's give me 200 lbs additional payload for my drawer and its contents. With the bags, I can add additional spring rate only when needed, for example when I add 4 MTBs to the rear, 4 homies, and 4 homies worth of gear and head to the mountains. Or when towing a trailer. It's nice because the cruiser can now be adapted to various loads with just a bike pump and doesn't ride like a chuckwagon when unloaded.

One note with the bags: I initially installed them with the L/R bags connected for axle articulation when offroad. With this, the cruiser felt very insecure in large sweepers on the highway, so I've since installed a valve between L/R bags that I keep closed after filling the bags unless I'm getting off-road. Again, adaptive to every scenario.

IMG_1036.JPG

So the airbags are compatible with wheeling? I've been told that wheeling can tear them up...

Also, do you think it'd work to rig up a remote adjustment and utilize the ARB twin compressor? (mainly thinking about the air-down)

What is the lift height with your 865s?

Here’s a link to an older pic of my truck on 865’s + 10mm trim packer. Scroll to bottom, last post on page.

Tires 295/75r16 (33.6). The ride was so smooth. Absolutely loved the 865’s. When I put on the Slee bumper the rear fenders literally touched the tires.

So while 865’s may not be the right choice for your setup I think that @MooseMichaels experience with airbags may be a good option for you to utilize when loaded up.

I replaced the 1.5" spacers with 1.25" in the rear only.. So I have 1.5" up front and 1.25 in the back. This makes the tires more consistently relative to the body. Previously, the rear tires were out past the body noticeably further. Amazing what 0.25" will do.
Also, the rear tires should stuff better this way as well.
PXL_20201208_022243668.jpg
PXL_20201208_023439211.jpg

So I've been planning Season 2 of this project.. Pretty excited with what I'm looking to do..

Big thanks to @RocketCityCrzrs for replacing my TB/WP and heater Ts as well as repairing my SUNROOF... 👍

I ordered a custom offroad teardrop camper from Cedar Ridge Campers | Off Road Teardrop Trailers - https://cedarridgecampers.com/... Very excited about that!

Since I'm going to be towing a trailer, some of this season's mods will be specific to that. Here is the current to-do list...

Re-locate 7-pin trailer plug
Install Redarc trailer brake controller
Install AirLift system to help out the rear springs
Install new rear drive shaft from Tom Woods
Install rock lights
Install console molle panels from Victory4x4
Install seat covers from Escape Gear (all seats)
Replace lower exterior seal on all 4 side windows
Re-locate reverse camera (?)

There will also be several tasks involved with getting the trailer all set up and gear properly dispersed... Should be fun!

I also plan to install Icon wheels and I need your opinions on which ones are sweetest... I'm on the fence between the Rebound and the Compression... (pictured below)

Screenshot_20210214-190808.png
Screenshot_20210214-190845.png

Deadline for all of this is mid to late June... Looking forward to a road trip to Glacier NP, Eastern Oregon, and Southern Colorado..! :cool:

I'm interested in your opinion on my wheel choice...

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to get started!

I have the compressions in the shopping cart on their site although in Titanium. Here’s my dilemma 17s or 18s. I love my 35x11.50x18 / 285x75x18 but I would be more than happy to push the limits with 315x70x17. You should go with a 305x70x17 - they are 34s like you’re running now but wider 😎

Was 99% sure I was sticking with ridge grappler but all this snow has me checking out the duratracs ... I know I know - dated technology, weak sidewalls.

Wish the icon vector would clear our front hubs. I hate fake beadlocks.

One more thing, the wheels were 20 or 25% off for Black Friday so that would’ve made the 5th wheel / spare free - Keep an eye out for sales!

Yea unfortunately I'll have to get different tires when I go down to a 17" wheel..
I'm strongly considering the Toyo Open Country MT... noisy-ish but SO good looking IMO. Probably a 285/75/17. (305 not offered)
Whatever I decide on, the teardrop will match..

The Rebounds look like they'll be easier to keep clean...:cool:

Rebounds for sure. Can’t wait to see more evolution of this build.

Icon Rebounds and Toyo MTs on order...!

A few of the other upcoming projects on this build...
PXL_20210227_184926492.jpg

Tom Woods drive shaft
Rock lights
Trailer brake controller
Re-locate factory trailer plug
Airlift/Firestone rear spring helpers
Victory 4x4 front console molle panels

I also have new lower exterior window seals that I'll be installing to replace the old ones.. And a WeatherTech cargo mat.

Seat covers from Escape Gear on order

Also my teardrop camper is being built and should be ready to pick up in May..!
Really looking forward to another summer road trip! Got some work to do first..

Here's a couple of fun shots since I just washed these girls..
PXL_20210227_194754345.jpg

PXL_20210227_194353488.jpg

Keep rollin..

A couple of little things off the list today..

Installed the console molle panels from Victory 4x4. I figure they will offer a little extra space for phones and stuff.. But also they look cool.
PXL_20210320_182100583.jpg
PXL_20210320_182107947.jpg

Also installed the Redarc trailer brake controller.. I had some trouble finding the factory connector under the dash but the MUD brain trust came through again.
The bezel for the dial just barely fits between the vent and the hazard light switch.. I considered turning it sideways but the label would have looked goofy so I squeezed it in vertically. Maybe I should have installed it without the bezel..? Anyhoo, it's installed and looks semi-factory.

PXL_20210321_024335587.jpg

I avoided screw holes by using large zip ties to secure the controller to the air duct...
PXL_20210321_023552023.jpg

More to come...

question: anyone running rear spring airbags with a lift? I've been thinking about how the airbag will push up against the rubber bump stop (partially sawed off the top on a lifted truck as opposed to completely sawed off for stock height) what keeps the top of the bag from collapsing around bump stop? Do I need a steel disc or something? Also, how much does the bump stop need to be cut?

🤙

A little more tinkering today...

Started mounting the rock lights. I'm cutting the pieces out of a stick of stainless steel and using the body mount bolts to secure 4 of them. There will also be 2 on the front bumper for a total of 6.

PXL_20210327_210513988.jpg
PXL_20210327_211820196.jpg
PXL_20210327_212545346.jpg
PXL_20210327_214511420.jpg

I need to install 5 more and then run the wiring..

Also started prepping to mount the trailering plug in the rear bumper. I had to remove the extra plastic from the housing so that it will slip into a 2" hole.
PXL_20210327_184458478.jpg
PXL_20210327_193141624.jpg

After very careful measuring I nervously contemplated drilling the massive hole in the pristine bumper.. Once I got it marked and ready I went for it. I thought I had the correct tool but unfortunately it was dull in no time so I'm kind of in a bit of a pickle now. I'll need to figure out how to drill it bigger without ruining things... :bang:

PXL_20210327_193757574.jpg

That's all for today..

I ordered a new primary battery. My Escape Gear seat covers have shipped so I should see them in a few days. (unless they are stuck in the Suez Canal) Still waiting for the Icon wheels. New drive shaft still laying on the work bench along with a bunch of other random supplies...

Has anyone relocated the rear backup camera? Any insights or recommendations?

🤙

Last edited:
Getting ready for another Saturday in the shop.. My bumper drilling project did not work out so I've got a tentative appointment with a fabrication shop and they will drill it with a mag drill.

Meanwhile.. Just a quick post here regarding an idea I had for the gear shift knob. I bought one for a FJ40 just because I thought it'd be sort of cool. Problem is that the threads are different size so I found an adapter on Amazon. It didn't really turn out like what I had in mind because of the hex and the exposed threads at the top.. Maybe I could find a leather sleeve or something..

PXL_20210409_210213206.jpg

PXL_20210409_210228834.jpg

A good day in the shop..
My son installed the new Tom Woods drive shaft. We used the old bolts because the ones they sent with the shaft were a smaller diameter... The clunk has been eliminated! (so far 🤞)
PXL_20210410_211947243.jpg

PXL_20210410_212007851.jpg

I got all the rock lights mounted (6) and four of them wired..

PXL_20210410_212139425.jpg

PXL_20210410_212220719.jpg

PXL_20210327_214511420.jpg

<continued below>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom