Builds 1HNDRD build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been thinking about that as well..
Won't happen prior to departure though, unfortunately.

Or an expedition trailer!

IMG_20200808_073252.jpg

Wow...
Another epic vacation to the Rocky Mountain states... Makes me wonder why I ever moved away..!
Even though the 100 build is not complete, she met our needs very well. A few things that definitely need improvement are:
- need air bags or heavier springs.. We were pretty overloaded and it made driving a bit of a chore
- sure wish I'd have had my fridge already... On pre-order at Equipt. The ol' Yeti performed well but there are limitations
- the bike rack needed to be removed every time we camped. I need a solid, reliable way to swing it to the side and leave it attached.
- my only complaint with the iKamper is that it is very difficult to close with pillows/blankets inside. Also, I don't love the ladder.
- I need to improve my water storage and disbursement system
- overall, I wonder if the solution to a lot the (slight) inconveniences would be a offroad teardrop-style camper trailer... (?)

Anyway, our route was as follows..
Grant, AL (starting point)
Graham Cave State Park, MO
Buddy's house near Paxton, NE
Glendo State Park, WY
Wapiti Campground (east side of YNP) via Ranchester, WY
Yellowstone National Park
Grand Teton National Park (Lizard Creek CG)
Mike Harris CG, Victor, ID
Price, UT via Rexburg, ID
Arches National Park
Telluride, CO
Del Norte, CO (my old hometown) via Ophir Pass
Back to the house...

Random pics from along the way...

Graham Cave State Park in Missouri

IMG_20200803_201651.jpg

Rest stop in Nebraska
IMG_20200804_173738.jpg

Near Burgess Junction in Wyoming
IMG_20200806_165656.jpg

Sylvan Lake, YNP
IMG_20200807_105233.jpg

Blacktail Plateau, YNP
IMG_20200807_145517.jpg

Ophir Pass (basically from Telluride to Silverton)
IMG_20200812_182343.jpg
IMG_20200812_181428.jpg

A couple of pictures from my Brother-in-law's place near Del Norte, CO
IMG_20200813_150744.jpg

IMG_20200815_103232.jpg

Back in the Stable at home...
IMG_20200818_114450.jpg

Just shy of 5000 miles...

I'm ready to do it again. The whole family loved it. What a memory!

How were the crowds at Arches? I'm planning on doing some car camping in Southern Utah in a couple weeks...

Road traffic was actually kind of light compared to YNP and GTNP... Campground was booked full though. We only spent a few hours there and then moved on

Such a beautiful rig! Well done. Can I please ask - do you get much rub with the 295's? What size lift are you running? Cheers

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I'm all for a hard shell RTT on top of the truck, but would have to stick with a vertical assembly only (Baroud/Maggolina). You need one of these to pull behind your 100. :)

Camper 1.jpg

Camper 2.jpg

Such a beautiful rig! Well done. Can I please ask - do you get much rub with the 295's? What size lift are you running? Cheers
No rubbing.
However, I have still not wheeled much. Was wanting to somewhere but was too loaded down. Actually rubbed slightly a couple of times in the rear on the freeway due to the load.

Did you camp in/around Telluride? I'll be there in a month and am starting to research campsites.
Did not
We drove past a nice area on the Silverton side of Ophir Pass near the bottom

I frequently carry 4 people/4 bikes/rack/camping gear/biking gear and ended up loaded pretty heavily also. I’m running airlift 1000 bags, and OME 865 which has worked well. Around town the 865s are enough to support the drawers in the back, without riding like a chuck wagon. Then for a heavy load, I’ll add 10-25 psi in the bags depending.

I use a 1UP rack and while it folds down and allow access to the tailgate, its still a pain for camping/cooking at the gate. I’ve been looking at swing out options varying from fully built bumpers, to the Rigd swing system, to a rak-attachor Kurt pivot 2.0.

What’s at the top of your list for this and why?

Sounds like a fantastic trip! I'm all for a hard shell RTT on top of the truck, but would have to stick with a vertical assembly only (Baroud/Maggolina). You need one of these to pull behind your 100. :)

View attachment 2410121

View attachment 2410122
Agree with @Jrod here rather than a teardrop. You could remove/reduce inside and outside weight from your rig and might eliminate your need for bags/springs plus reduce center of gravity which may also enhance drivability.
Great pics and awesome build mate.
Cheers,
G

I frequently carry 4 people/4 bikes/rack/camping gear/biking gear and ended up loaded pretty heavily also. I’m running airlift 1000 bags, and OME 865 which has worked well. Around town the 865s are enough to support the drawers in the back, without riding like a chuck wagon. Then for a heavy load, I’ll add 10-25 psi in the bags depending.

I use a 1UP rack and while it folds down and allow access to the tailgate, its still a pain for camping/cooking at the gate. I’ve been looking at swing out options varying from fully built bumpers, to the Rigd swing system, to a rak-attachor Kurt pivot 2.0.

What’s at the top of your list for this and why?

I like the ease and stability of the vertical rack. I've been looking at the Wilco swing out hitch adapter which is the same concept as the RIGd. Not sure if that's the perfect solution though... What I'm leaning towards is welding a receiver to the tire swing out that I already have. This would be simple and effective... But I'm just not sure that the Slee tire swing out spindle would handle the twist load long term. I don't think it'd be a problem but I hate to compromise my brand new bumper.
One idea is to fab a latch on the forward side of the swing arm to prevent the twisting action. Or build a piece to slide into the existing receiver to add support.

Moving your roof rack items into a trailer would free up space on top for your RotoPax set up and improve your H2O dispensary issues too. Once you free up the left swing-out, you could attach your bike rack there maybe...swing away with the bikes attached or not...???

Bike rack would need to be on the RH swing out for a couple of reasons..
A: the LH swing out is shorter and does not reach the center of the vehicle
B: the awning and "living" area is on the left side of the vehicle and bikes/rack would not be out of the way if swung out to the left.

I love expedition trailers and have definitely been doing a lot of thinking about it.. At this point I still prefer the teardrop style for optimum configuration in our particular situation. It would obviously need to be an offroad capable teardrop..

But I dunno... If I found the right deal on a nice expedition style trailer, I would most certainly consider it..

Either way, if I had a trailer of any kind the bikes would go on top, the rack would stay home, and it would no longer be an issue...

Then the roof rack could carry gear and paddle boards and.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom