Builds 1HNDRD build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tent/awning compatibility has been a bit of a head scratcher.. Stupid me, I didn't think about the fact that the ikamper RTT (which opens to the side which is why I settled on this hardtop) needs space on the hinge side to open up... Awning was in the way. After a lot of measuring and consideration, I flipped the awning brackets over which lowered the awning 2 or 3 inches. This works but now I need to rethink my side light because there isn't enough space between the awning and the top of the doors. Also, the RTT is off center which is a bit weird looking but it'll have to work... None of this is awesome but the alternative is removing the awning and I'd rather live with a little weirdness.

(side note: realized that one of the seams on the awning bag is coming unstitched.. Will see if RhinoRack will warranty)

Mounting the tent was a puzzle.. Access to underneath is extremely limited. (wouldn't be bad if my sunroof worked! Now I have a very good reason to get that taken care of) The awning has to go on first which further restricts access on one side... Overall, it's just a bit frustrating.. 😖

Anyhoo.. The tent and awning are installed and I got the 12v power outlet routed into the tent for a light and phone charger. Next I need to figure out how to get my side light reinstalled in some way that it doesn't interfere with the awning or doors.

A few pics...

IMG_20200716_194758.jpg
IMG_20200716_194818.jpg
IMG_20200716_204225.jpg
IMG_20200716_194743.jpg

Other items recently completed...
- hired a different auto glass company to remove and reinstall the windshield trims.. Wind noise is gone!
- had my local shop replace the steering rack bushings with SuperPro bushings yesterday. I haven't driven it much since then but it seems to be a lot tighter so I think that was a good call.
- fresh alignment after new bushings
- oil change & new air filter

Next week @RocketCityCrzrs will do a pre-trip & fluid check/change for me & 1HNDRD will be ready for a road trip!

😎

Tent/awning compatibility has been a bit of a head scratcher.. Stupid me, I didn't think about the fact that the ikamper RTT (which opens to the side which is why I settled on this hardtop) needs space on the hinge side to open up... Awning was in the way. After a lot of measuring and consideration, I flipped the awning brackets over which lowered the awning 2 or 3 inches. This works but now I need to rethink my side light because there isn't enough space between the awning and the top of the doors. Also, the RTT is off center which is a bit weird looking but it'll have to work... None of this is awesome but the alternative is removing the awning and I'd rather live with a little weirdness.

(side note: realized that one of the seams on the awning bag is coming unstitched.. Will see if RhinoRack will warranty)

Mounting the tent was a puzzle.. Access to underneath is extremely limited. (wouldn't be bad if my sunroof worked! Now I have a very good reason to get that taken care of) The awning has to go on first which further restricts access on one side... Overall, it's just a bit frustrating.. 😖

Anyhoo.. The tent and awning are installed and I got the 12v power outlet routed into the tent for a light and phone charger. Next I need to figure out how to get my side light reinstalled in some way that it doesn't interfere with the awning or doors.

A few pics...

View attachment 2374264View attachment 2374265View attachment 2374266View attachment 2374267

Other items recently completed...
- hired a different auto glass company to remove and reinstall the windshield trims.. Wind noise is gone!
- had my local shop replace the steering rack bushings with SuperPro bushings yesterday. I haven't driven it much since then but it seems to be a lot tighter so I think that was a good call.
- fresh alignment after new bushings
- oil change & new air filter

Next week @RocketCityCrzrs will do a pre-trip & fluid check/change for me & 1HNDRD will be ready for a road trip!

😎
Truck looks great! Could you possibly link the bushings you used? Thank you!

A little excitement this week...

Sunday afternoon/evening we went down to the lake. Cooked dinner, viewed the Neowise comet, and generally took it easy.
On the way back to the house, after bouncing over a railroad crossing, there was suddenly no engagement in the transmission for a few seconds! Suddenly it engaged with a lurch and then it was really "soft" feeling like there was a lot of slippage. I shifted into a couple of the other gears and got the same feeling. About that time we smelled hot oil and the saw the smoke.. Pulled off the road and killed the engine. Oil was raining down under the truck and by this time was sprayed on nearly every surface including the rear bumper/window etc! The engine bay was an absolute mess!
Anyway, got a wrecker to take us home. Next day had it hauled to @RocketCityCrzrs. Verdict: transmission oil cooler line jumped out of its cradle and the fan nicked it. Oil sprayed out into the fan which distributed it liberally across all surfaces.
Not as bad as I feared which was a big relief! Back up and running again now.. (cooler line properly secured) Still a huge cleanup job though.. Steam-cleaned what we could today but still a lot of film on things. It's literally all over the vehicle.

Here's a few pics of the earlier part of the evening.. (prior to the oil bath)

IMG_20200719_195746.jpg
IMG_20200719_194053.jpg
IMG_20200719_190805.jpg
IMG_20200719_190829.jpg

Glad to hear it was a "minor" failure and you're back up and running. I think in the morning, I'll look for the hose you're referring to and double check it. Great pictures BTW! How do you like the tent, I hear the iKamper's have a pretty decent foam mat?

A little excitement this week...

Sunday afternoon/evening we went down to the lake. Cooked dinner, viewed the Neowise comet, and generally took it easy.
On the way back to the house, after bouncing over a railroad crossing, there was suddenly no engagement in the transmission for a few seconds! Suddenly it engaged with a lurch and then it was really "soft" feeling like there was a lot of slippage. I shifted into a couple of the other gears and got the same feeling. About that time we smelled hot oil and the saw the smoke.. Pulled off the road and killed the engine. Oil was raining down under the truck and by this time was sprayed on nearly every surface including the rear bumper/window etc! The engine bay was an absolute mess!
Anyway, got a wrecker to take us home. Next day had it hauled to @RocketCityCrzrs. Verdict: transmission oil cooler line jumped out of its cradle and the fan nicked it. Oil sprayed out into the fan which distributed it liberally across all surfaces.
Not as bad as I feared which was a big relief! Back up and running again now.. (cooler line properly secured) Still a huge cleanup job though.. Steam-cleaned what we could today but still a lot of film on things. It's literally all over the vehicle.

Here's a few pics of the earlier part of the evening.. (prior to the oil bath)

View attachment 2380867View attachment 2380868View attachment 2380869View attachment 2380870
Glad to hear it was a "minor" failure and you're back up and running. I think in the morning, I'll look for the hose you're referring to and double check it. Great pictures BTW! How do you like the tent, I hear the iKamper's have a pretty decent foam mat?
X2, would love a picture of the hose that got knicked so I can also check to see if mine is properly secured. Glad it wasn't catastrophic, I know you have put a lot into getting this rig ready. BTW, your old OEM bumper I got from you mounted right up and looks great, thanks again!

Been working on getting loaded up and deciding what we have room for... Looks like she'll be squatting pretty good.

IMG_20200801_142512.jpg
IMG_20200801_142405.jpg

Here is the tentative route... Subject to change along the way.. ;)

Screenshot_20200801-155540.png

Departure is set for Tuesday morning unless it gets derailed again.. We're originally planning to head out yesterday but had some work-related setbacks..

Looking forward to that Rocky Mountain air!

Been working on getting loaded up and deciding what we have room for... Looks like she'll be squatting pretty good.

View attachment 2390387View attachment 2390388

Here is the tentative route... Subject to change along the way.. ;)

View attachment 2390390

Departure is set for Tuesday morning unless it gets derailed again.. We're originally planning to head out yesterday but had some work-related setbacks..

Looking forward to that Rocky Mountain air!
Lookin good! Assuming from your route map you're planning on checking out Land Between The Lakes (LBL) in Western KY? I have been to EVERY corner of that place for the last 35 years. Beautiful place. TONS of great dispersed camping all over that area. Lots of good secluded private places. Safe travels! Looks like one hell of a route!

Good to know..
I've been thru that area many times but never stopped to explore. This time again we plan to cruise thru at highway speed.. Hoping to make Columbia Missouri area for night #1.

Good to know..
I've been thru that area many times but never stopped to explore. This time again we plan to cruise thru at highway speed.. Hoping to make Columbia Missouri area for night #1.
Well if you ever get a chance to make a stop there, it's worth it.

I am looking at your route and can't stop to wonder why not modify it just slightly to go through Teton and Yellowstone? Looks like you'll be at Glacier at some point which should be amazing,

Where specifically would you recommend?
Well actually I got to thinking, I would recommend going in early spring or fall, if you go right now the ticks will absolutely ruin your stay. They can be pretty bad this time of year.

But I agree with @Kabanstva, if your time allows, definitely make it to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. The only other trip that I have done (and I have done a lot) that compares is Yosemite. The only negative to Yellowstone and The Tetons is that you need atleast a week or more to really take it all in. Amazing place

I am looking at your route and can't stop to wonder why not modify it just slightly to go through Teton and Yellowstone? Looks like you'll be at Glacier at some point which should be amazing,
Yea that's one of the potential adjustments.. However we plan to visit family in Baker City, OR as well as Del Norte, CO and it's tough to find a way to efficiently hit everything..

One option that's on the table is eliminate GNP and Baker City and rather do YNP and GTNP and possibly Arches or Zion on the way down to CO

We're looking forward to a very flexible itinerary..

Glacier is always the main destination for us tho! Hope to make it work.. We try to go annually.. Were at Tetons 3 summers ago.

Would adding a pair of air helper spings be an option to help with the extra weight in the rear? I haven't used them before, but it seems like a simple and reasonably inexpensive way to handle the additional junk in the trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom