Builds 1HNDRD build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also been playing with my bike rack from Recon Racks... Problem is that I'll need to use a drop hitch so the tire swing out will work and I can open the tailgate/hatch... 😖

IMG_20200630_193649.jpg

IMG_20200629_200936.jpg

Beautiful Build and love your GARAGE!

Among other odds and ends, I got the awning installed. Very impressed with the fit and finish of the RhinoRack Batwing.

Not great pictures of the awning. I'll try to remember to post more.

IMG_20200704_175424.jpg

IMG_20200704_204557.jpg

We're planning to take her on an overnight excursion for a maiden (test) trip soon! The RTT should arrive in a few days.

A few of the next few items on the list...
- replace steering rack bushings (wanders on the highway) and then a final alignment
- full fluid check - replace as needed
- I've been reading about windshield wind noise and I've concluded that this is my problem.. I plan to try and find an installer who has 100 experience to R&R my windshield. I believe if it's done correctly that it will eliminate the wind noise from along the top edge and down the sides.

We're planning a 5200 mile road trip in a month. The "plan" (hope) has been to take the 100 and camp along the way. The overnight maiden voyage will help determine if we can fit in a family of 6 with bikes and gear or if we'll be taking the Sequoia like normal..

Overall, I'm feeling like both of the objectives listed in the original post, at least to some degree, have been accomplished.. And that is a great feeling! Obviously there is a lot more opportunity for advancement but the fun is in the journey for sure..!

😎

Last edited:
Among other odds and ends, I got the awning installed. Very impressed with the fit and finish of the RhinoRack Batwing.

Not great pictures of the awning. I'll try to remember to post more.

View attachment 2361683

View attachment 2361684

We're planning to take her on an overnight excursion for a maiden (test) trip soon! The RTT should arrive in a few days.

A few of the next few items on the list...
- replace steering rack bushings (wanders on the highway) and then a final alignment
- full fluid check - replace as needed
- I've been reading about windshield wind noise and I've concluded that this is my problem.. I plan to try and find an installer who has 100 experience to R&R my windshield. I believe if it's done correctly that it will eliminate the wind noise from along the top edge and down the sides.

We're planning a 5200 mile road trip in a month. The "plan" (hope) has been to take the 100 and camp along the way. The overnight maiden voyage will help determine if we can fit in a family of 6 with bikes and gear or if we'll be taking the Sequoia like normal..

Overall, I'm feeling like both of the objectives listed in the original post, at least to some degree, have been accomplished.. And that is a great feeling! Obviously there is a lot more opportunity for advancement but the fun is in the journey for sure..!

😎

Go for it! We’re a family of 5 with one on the way and we fit fine in my 05 LC. Kids ages are 7, 5 and 3.

Figured out a solution to the bike rack / tire swing out conflict... Not ideal because of weight and departure angle but it'll work til I come up with something better.

IMG_20200707_192918.jpg

The U-bolt is an anti-sway measure... Works reasonably well.

With the rack laid back the swing out just barely clears the pivot and allows access to the rear of the vehicle.

IMG_20200707_195412.jpg

IMG_20200707_193015.jpg

IMG_20200707_192946.jpg

I like the rack. (Recon) It's a good design and nicely built... I'm not 100% thrilled with the final setup with the rack behind the swing outs. The rear-most point of the bikes is about 65" behind the tailgate. Also the usability of the tailgate area is basically nil without removing the bikes and rack upon arrival at camp. This could be remedied with a Wilco Swing Hitch but I'm not going to spend that amount right now.. Also the Wilco would actually present another challenge because of the 5" rise...

Anyway, the alternative is to not haul bikes and I definitely don't like that so I'll live with it and keep scheming.

IMG_20200707_193052.jpg

Other updates:
- Should have the RTT in a couple of days...
- I found an auto glass company that seems knowledgeable about 100 series windshields and I'm pretty confident they can resolve my wind noise problem (which will dramatically improve the driving pleasure)
- ordered SuperPro steering rack bushings to eliminate the highway wandering

Overall we're down to the last few items of Phase 1...

Looks amazing

What I like about this vertical rack is that the only contact point of the bike is the tires..

I've been thinking about a way to make a mount directly on the tire swing out... That way the bikes and tire would swing away together. This might be something I should clear with Christo @ Slee...

1 fuse/switch/relay for each of the following:
Light bar main
Light bar amber
Driving spot lights
Side lights
Rear lights
Rock lights
Front locker (future)
Rear locker (future)
Air compressor (future)
Spare for other future

1 fuse for each of the following:
Roof top tent circuit for light/phone charger
Switch "on" illumination & future misc

1 switch/relay for the winch master switch (main battery)

Possibly overkill but that's how I roll sometimes... ;)

Extremely thorough. I am taking a LOT of notes throughout your build/documentation as well as ordering a lot of the same parts, haha. Gotta give credit where credit is due. One deviation I'm leaning towards is buying a pre-assembled relay module similar to one from LEASH seen here: Pro12 Relay Module

Last edited:
Extremely thorough. I am taking a LOT of notes throughout your build/documentation as well as ordering a lot of the same parts, haha. Gotta give credit where credit is due. One deviation I'm leaning towards is buying a pre-assembled relay module from LEASH seen here: Pro12 Relay Module

:hmm: It would be interesting to determine how long @skyblue took to assemble his relay module... When it's all said and done, it all comes down to the old adage of what's your time worth and/or do you have the cash for expertise? 🏁

I think the LEASH looks like less of a propensity for me to have a headache during and after...:giggle:

Yea the LEASH is a sweet option for sure... Thanks for the link! Had I known about it earlier I likely would have gone that route even though that would definitely have been the most expensive single component of the panel... However, doing it the way I did taught me a ton of things that would still be foggy or unlearned had I gone the pre-assembled route.

I do have a lot of time invested in my panel but 85% of it would be eliminated if I did it again because of the learning curve and trial/error... Even with all the YouTubing and asking other people questions, I consider it largely a self-taught accomplishment.. Not taking anything away from the LEASH because honestly I think I would have jumped at that had I known it existed and was properly configured.

As far as you taking notes... Wow! I consider that proof positive that objective #3 in my original post has been also accomplished to a small extent along with #1 & #2.. And that is being of some assistance to other LC builders... What a rewarding hobby..!

Good luck!

Last edited:
@skyblue I've posted this a few places but here it is again. Game changer for me. Will be adding some "just in case" gussets but it really doesn't need them.
58922901114__3C2ECD1C-9315-4BC9-B2A4-D9778BBBB7A2 2.JPG

Yes!
Exactly what I've been thinking about.
I would stay with the vertical rack to keep a 4-bike capacity but I still think this would work!
Thanks for the pic..! Nice setup!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned that if you were to do the wiring over again, you would have routed it a different way, where would you have routed the wire to the roof rack?

I’m getting ready to do a similar (extremely similar) rack/lighting setup and am trying to figure out my chase.

-Ronin

Yes I would make a few adjustments to make it easier...

First I would consider using 18ga wire to the lights... I used 16ga and it was extremely difficult to fit all of them thru the factory holes in the roof gutter.. I'm not sure that 18ga would be adequate for the lights but I would think that it surely would be...?? Maybe 16ga just for the light bar..?

So if your switches will be in the overhead console you will obviously need to run up the A-pillar and across the front of the headliner. This is pretty easy and straightforward. (I used 22ga for these in my configuration).

I also ran the light power (and a common ground) up the A-pillar and above the headliner to the C-pillar. Instead, I would run them down under the door thresholds and then up the C-pillar.. There is plenty of room and access is way better... Also, if you're planning to have an inverter or a rear power outlet, there is room for larger wires along the lower route and once you get to the base of the C-pillar it's smooth sailing to the factory jack location.

I think even with 18ga wire you will need to utilize 2 of the factory gutter holes to fit them all through (assuming you are going to have the same light set up etc) but you do not need to use the rack mounting holes because there are others you will find if you remove the gutter trim.

Good luck... Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom