1HDT w. 3" exhaust - incredible results (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've posted before was interested in possibly upgrading my truck with an intercooler and tranny upgrade and that as a prelude I was going to get a 3" exhaust installed. I got the truck back yesterday afternoon with the 3" mandrell bent exhaust installed with an aero turbine muffler with resonator.

I wish I had dyno'd the truck first to get some objective data but the subjective result is still blowing my mind. The 1HD-T has come alive with this change. The truck boosts faster, is WAY more responsive to throttle, and EGT's appear lower by about 100F under load if not more.

I'm now going up hills in top gear with light throttle pressure at lower boost than before. And that is using B40 which is supposed to drop about 5% in power.

I also noticed that at every speed, the boost is actually lower than it was before to maintain the same speed. I suspect that as a result fuel economy will improve as I know the 1HD-T is very efficient when running at partial boost from my own results.

The result is so good that I don't think I'm going to bother with the intercooler. I should have made this change back when I got the truck. Once again Ateb produces fantastic results.

encouraging results. I am planning to put a 2.5 or 3" exhaust in my Prado (2LTE) soon. Approximately what did this change cost; I will get quotes from a couple shops here in smithers and want to be able compare.

I'm going to have to buy a * to post some pics, but will do my best to get some pics up shortly. Ateb did a beautiful job.

Buddy here do a 3" exhaust in his 1HD-T boosting 14 PSI straight pipe and the performance .. it's like a WRX Subaru .. very impresive !

He kick my ass in my HJ-60 2H Turbo intercooler boosting the same 14 PSI .. :eek:

Buddy here do a 3" exhaust in his 1HD-T boosting 14 PSI straight pipe and the performance .. it's like a WRX Subaru .. very impresive !

He kick my ass in my HJ-60 2H Turbo intercooler boosting the same 14 PSI .. :eek:

Does his 1HD-T have an intercooler?

Martin, Could you shed some light on what size exhaust system you had in the truck prior to the 3" upgrade and the overall condition of your prior exhaust system. Mine has a 2 & 3/4" pipe from the turbo reducing at the flexijoint into a 2 & 1/2" pipe and mufflers under the floor. I believe this is OEM as the mufflers have toyota stamped on them? I was thinking of upgrading to a 3" as well after completing my intercooler install, but was put off by the responses Adam B got in his thread about going to a 3" exhaust - see here.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=154928&highlight=exhaust
It seems though you have tested the theory and found some REAL increase in power. So shed some light - what did you have in there beforehand which gave you such better results, also how is the new one routed? Does it still go on the outside of the chassis rail after the downpipe from the turbo and then cross back over the chassis rail into the centre of the truck and up over the rear diff like the OEM one?? How much did it cost? Your thread is VERY encouraging.

I know what you mean, NZcruiser. I was also quite put off by the responses I got to my thread. Then I started doing more homework...

As I initially believed, in turbo applications, you want the MINIMUM restriction possible after the turbo. The only place where runner design is an issue is between the head and the turbo, aka the exxhaust manifold or header. THAT is what will effect spool-up. After that, you want the largest exhaust size that you can fit - this will allow that hot air to get the hell out as quickly as possible. You want unrestricted air entering the compressor side of the turbo and unrestricted air exiting the turbine side.

This again goes back to my belief that the most benefit will be from a larger turbo elbow and downpipe. The farther downstream you go, the cooler the air has become, and the smaller exhaust diameter you need to keep it moving at the same rate.

Maybe that's why the guys at ATEB are talking about removing their 3" exhaust and going bigger.....

Does his 1HD-T have an intercooler?

Not yet .. he is the buddy ..

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00063.jpg

The cost was part of a package deal and included the aeroturbine resonated muffler. I had quite a few other things done as well so I can't break it down alone, but suffice to say this is not a cheap modification. I could not find any independent data I could source to support aeroturbine's statements about their hp and mpg improvements but my seat of the pants results suggest that at least some of what they say is true, and Ateb likes them so I went with it as they suggested.

The routing more or less follows the stock path, but there are no restrictions and as few turns as possible. Ateb has it all jigged out now so it's a straight forward build for them. However there is a lot of welding so it takes quite a few hours to install. The exhaust has a rumble now but it's barely louder than it was before and actually quite pleasant - very truck like.

The replaced exhaust system was entirely stock from one end to the other and in reasonable but not excellent shape. Ateb drove the truck and told me it needed help and that the exhaust change would cure it, and they were 100% right. I am VERY happy. This is the single best change I have made to my truck since I got it.

I've purchased a silverstar membership and will post some pictures shortly once the account is activated.

you also had poor fuel milage compared to others which leads me to think maybe the muffler had one or more baffles colasped causing too much back pressure...could this be correct?

Ditto - this is a must if you have the 1HDT. The power is great and the sound is even better. I don't yet have the EGT but I'm confident it makes a big difference. The Aero turbo system seems well worth the dough to me.

(you can just spot the exhaust run inside the wheelwell)
HDJ81 001.jpg

Anything is possible with respect to that old muffler! I didn't ask Ateb to autopsy it, however. I'll post new fuel consumption data once I have it. But even with my old system under ideal circumstances I was able to achieve my best fuel economy figure of nearly 26 mpg on more than one occasion.

Exhaust pictures

Pics....it more or less follows from the engine back...
Exh1.jpg
Exh2.jpg
Exh3.jpg

More pics....

Next section....
Exh4.jpg
Exh4a.jpg
Exh5.jpg

End of the system....

Last part...
Exh5.jpg
Exh6.jpg