1HD-T Intake Manifold Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ok so this is what i ended up coming up with. still a couple of things to do on it but it is all together.
P2061680_zps3a8ce10d.jpg

Good stuff. Couple questions/thoughts...

Are you going to make a ring or bead around the end of the tube to help retain the hose?

I'm guessing because you have front entry you probably removed the internal divider between 3+4. I'm trying to decide whether I should because I'm going 3" center entry (similar location and angle as factory) for WTA IC.

Once you install it I'm curious to see how much fuel line manipulation will be required.

Nice work. :D

Adam,

I am curious on how yours turns out if you go with a center feed. I don't think I would bother putting a divider in, I don't truly think it would make a difference.
My biggest thing at least designing one in my head is having sufficient clearance with your injector lines, injectors and glow plugs without having to remove the manifold itself to access those bits.

There is no fuel line/glow plug clearance issues with that design. The centre feed intake manifold will have "as mine does now". Version 2 will have the intercooler bolt to the intake plenum, for easy access to the lines/injectors.

Adam like big boy said x 2 ,as long as the pipe is on top of the intake there should o problems with fuel lines,and your running top mount so why not use the original neck coming off the near same spot on the new pipe and make it an original bolt on top mount. I myself ground everything inside the manifold smooth(ported per say), you might want to port the mating surfaces of the intake to head after you cut the top of the intake off,(bolt it back on and you can see how unrefined it actually mates together ). Another thing I offset the pipe abit on the last one I did this to keep the throttle linkage verticle. And ya you definitely need to weld rings or double grove the pipe ends ,or you'll be blowing pipes of like crazy at high boost for sure . Plus when your lining up the pipe surface with the intake take the extra time to make sure the inside surfaces are mated flush and tight ,to keep any funky turbulances to a minimum.

Well don't know where to post this but ,seems I have found a flaw with adding to many motor mods . I been doing a little snow wheeling lately and been having trouble with the skinny pedal end of things,to the point where I could have been in trouble. Funny I have never really noticed this before ,but if I'm at about 1400 ? Rpm trying to dig but float on the snow on hills I'm finding it super hard to controlled the power band of boost without having to light up the tires. I've had two strokes that were easier to controlled almost..something to consider if your building up your truck,and I'm only running a cheap Chinese turbo. I would not want my truck setup like this if I lived in Iceland that's for sure .

Well don't know where to post this but ,seems I have found a flaw with adding to many motor mods . I been doing a little snow wheeling lately and been having trouble with the skinny pedal end of things,to the point where I could have been in trouble. Funny I have never really noticed this before ,but if I'm at about 1400 ? Rpm trying to dig but float on the snow on hills I'm finding it super hard to controlled the power band of boost without having to light up the tires. I've had two strokes that were easier to controlled almost..something to consider if your building up your truck,and I'm only running a cheap Chinese turbo. I would not want my truck setup like this if I lived in Iceland that's for sure .

That's turbo selection. The wrong ones give nothing, nothing, nothing, then too much.
You can probably moderate it with the boost compensator to give less of a kick between on and off boost fuelling.

Heh, try driving a gas motor with a set up like that and you will end up in the ditch. Happened to my sister! Actually it was my neurosurgeon with a F40 Ferrari last year, but that doenst sound as funny.

More of a heads up cause I think I'll get the handle on it ,I actually like the fact that its there most of the time ,first time in technical snow climb conditions for this setup is all .gerg I like your comparison ,but in my case you could walk faster than the speed I'm talking about .

anyone have any updates?
I am curious if I should carry this out.
I measured some clearances today, I can fit 3" pipe on the top of the intake manifold under the hood of a 70 series with a 1hz JUST clearing it.
I am trying to decide if I should go through the trouble of doing this and a custom intercooler route.

I am wondering what my performance gains will truely be at the end of doing it.
I do realize the intercooler is 10-15% of a performance increase while a plenum on a gasser can bring 10hp roughly.

I finished building mine, will be doing the swap next weekend (23/24th).

Didn't try to squeeze it in last weekend when I finished the plenum since there will also be a bit of work involved in reworking the intake path pre-IC and probably some hood clearancing for the IC since it has to sit above the raised part of the valve cover. Also want to clean the engine a bit first since it looks like I'm going to have to completely remove the fuel lines. Haven't looked too closely yet but it looks like that rear intake nut is going to be fun to access.

BTW, what the hell is that big sensor that threads in just below runner #5?

14 pages and not one mention of my intake/intercooler. How rude B-)

I assumed it would have been grabbed off the web already but here it is anyway. I built this over 4 years ago, a few bits are different now.

The core

DSC02429.JPG

Building

DSC02584.JPG

Welded

DSC02641.JPG

Fitted out

DSC02960.JPG

Rear intercooler rad

DSC03020.JPG

Pumps

20121031_123912.jpg

I assumed it would have been grabbed off the web already but here it is anyway. I built this over 4 years ago, a few bits are different now.

Mate, You need a Gturbo, I need one of those intercoolers for a "special" project. We need to talk ;)

Well that sure looks nice and functionally creative. A couple questions if I may, can you shoot a picture of the throttle linkage at the IP? And is it a pita taking the manifold off with the manifold studs ,kind of looks like a tight roll with your hanger support on the exhuast side? Must have some pretty quick responded time with that short run, :cheers:

Never dynoed it with everything on there, i just tweak it and drive it.

Yes the bonnet is pretty average, it was only supposed to be like that for testing but yeeah thats years ago now. You will see a new bonnet and color scheme within the next few weeks.

Graeme, after TT lets talk. Both this car an 80s with compounds and a 100s daily will need turbos. Possibly even my new 1vd-ftv :)

Modifying the throttle linkage was quite simple, here is a pic for ya. Had to get a longer cable made, modified the sleeve mount to sit flat (brace not shown) and spun the belcrank around on the pin.

DSC02652.JPG

Graeme, after TT lets talk. Both this car an 80s with compounds and a 100s daily will need turbos. Possibly even my new 1vd-ftv :)

Cool. The V8 turbo (big single) parts are almost here. Its pretty special :) I am super excited about it. Induction issue to turbo are a real problem on that engine - find a solution and sell heaps!

As for the others, if the 100s is an FTE engine and has a good exhaust and intercooler - over 200kW at wheels is just a walk in the park now. And for the compound setup, will need to study it first, but my Bad Boy Stage 2 should be more than enough for most! For the 1HZ.... should do pump at same time - then hold on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom