1HD-T Intake Manifold Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have to disagree. The lag is noticeable! When I drop my plenum size back to stock - 200rpm(ish) drop in spool up.

Which suggests there is something wrong with your plenum design. It does not start and end with the volume alone.

I also think that there is a limit too. I've had a few different volume sizes and shapes of intakes,and think my current 3" one is best for my setup,although I feel I could use a smaller inter cooler. Where I really feel the intake mod benifits is is in the higher revs. If your running stock pump specs and still governed to 4200 rpm I doubt you would notice either way with size,as any lag would be most likely turbo related. Also unless your into cutting your firewall its pretty tight to extend your plenium past.

Yeah it looked like a tight fit wrongway. What gear was that delay in spool up biggie? I could see it being noticeable in 1st and 2nd, but 3, 4th and 5th would be good. I dont know autos sorry. Keep in mind that static spool up might actually improve, but the acceleration lag is more noticeable to most people. Myself, I am usually more concerned with static spool rpms as its tough towing on hills when you reach for another gear.

I picked up noticable turbo lag between a 52mm and 60mm compressor wheel. Better flowing pipe-work has decreased lag.

Can only speak for my set up. From all my results. It points to 3" volume being the optimum for allround. Mine is huge. I have LOADS of power up top though.

I wish BigBoy well in his inter cooling endeavours, but an eBay 600x300x75 cooler has continued to give the highest dyno test readings on Toyota and Nissan 4.2 diesels than any of the "kits" available that Ive seen

So it offers the best performance you have seen? As far as power or cooling efficency/both? Looking into using one of those cores for my front mount. :cheers:

ok so this is what i ended up coming up with. still a couple of things to do on it but it is all together.
P2061680_zps3a8ce10d.jpg

P2061679_zps8600940d.jpg

P2061678_zps8297f61a.jpg

I'm just getting into Toyota diesels but this is what can be done. This particular manifold is for a Nissan td42, most similar i guess to a 1hz but much stronger internals. 50% larger plenum volume and spot on distribution between ports
IMG_1275-Copy.jpg

IMG_1257-Copy.jpg

IMG_1281-Copy.jpg

Holy :censor: that thing is gorgeous work of art. I would love some shiny billet like that but 1500 smackeroos might be better spent on another Bad Boy (for now).

Did you notice much of a performance gain after bolting that on?

Would you recommend it as an upgrade?

I have not had the car running yet since install so can't comment on any performance gain. Will hopefully be finished in a couple of weeks. I'm running a United Fuel Injection 20g td05, that's all I can tell you, If you want more specifications you'll have to ask Matt Craig

If that intake is $1500, then it's extremely good value.

Since it bolts together, are there any photos of it apart?

Please share with us what perfect intercooling is. Inlet / outlet temps and backpressure... top mount or front mount, or water ect. Im interested to know. Those td05s are interesting, but td42s get bad milage it seems.

Please share with us what perfect intercooling is. Inlet / outlet temps and backpressure... top mount or front mount, or water ect. Im interested to know. Those td05s are interesting, but td42s get bad milage it seems.

Perfect intercooling is like Absolute Zero. It's the allure of the unattainable.

I agree that TD42's are tough, but inefficient. Which is way better than being fragile and inefficient, but not as good as being tough and efficient.

You'll find out once the car is back together, we average 11.5L/100km so fuel efficiency isn't that bad, know a guy who had 37s with 14mm injection pump(not the best) and was making 210kw at the wheels who got similar fuel economy. Tossing up whether to bite the bullet and put in a billet crank or hope it doesn't give

know a guy who had 37s with 14mm injection pump(not the best) and was making 210kw at the wheels who got similar fuel economy.

*Cough* *Bull***** *Cough*

I don't know where this myth about td42s and poor fuel consumption came from, here's proof (somewhere in his thread he talks of it) http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-nissan-patrols-19/4-2-4-8-turbo-05-ute-build-76569/

A link to a 31 page build thread isn't proof.

Here are the fuelly statistics for TD42 patrols.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/patrol/diesel l6

There are none in there that have "good" fuel economy. The best one (12.5 litres/100km) does not have chunky 37" tyres.
You'll see a figure there of 11.9 L/100km, but that figure is for RD28T powered trolls, not TD42.

I have crunched all the numbers on TD42 performance and I know within about 5% how efficient that engine is (BSFC) at max torque and max power.
To summarize it is between 20 and 30% worse off than an excellent direct injection diesel like the 1HD-FTE. So when you claim similar fuel economy to a grandpa driven 1HD-FTE and throw in a massive injection pump and massive tyres, it's pretty hard to make that add up.

ahh ok i agree it's not proof to link what someone on the internet said but i know personally we average 11.5L/100km on mostly highway terrain, our 1hd-fte swapped 105 averages 11 and the best we ever got was 10.5, that's with a shift kit, steinbauer, 3" exhaust and different intercooling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom