1HD-T Intake Manifold Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey doug, is that an he341 on there? did it boost ok for that guy? I thought it would be a little too big.
g

I think so. Called an HY35, but the distinction is blurry between the two. Too big for you and me yes. But that was in a low 2wd pickup with auto transmission so he could get away with it.

Nice work Adam! Would love to know your feedback regarding the water/meth.

Im finally fixing up my Lexus (not been running for a few weeks due to various minor things). Modifying intercooler end tanks for better flow and fitted a Bad Boy Stage 2. So, will finally take it to dyno. Should do OK lol

Also this week tuning a 3 litre Hilux (1KD-FTV). My Custom vnt is making 32psi boost at least up to 3000rpm, no smoke after upping rail pressure and inj duration. So..... hope to have dyno at end of week. Also will be installing water meth :) Aiming for over 150rwkw on diesel only. The aftermarket "high performance" clutch gave up during road tuning last week ;) New one being fitted today :)

Im finally fixing up my Lexus (not been running for a few weeks due to various minor things). Modifying intercooler end tanks for better flow and fitted a Bad Boy Stage 2. So, will finally take it to dyno. Should do OK lol

Also this week tuning a 3 litre Hilux (1KD-FTV). My Custom vnt is making 32psi boost at least up to 3000rpm, no smoke after upping rail pressure and inj duration. So..... hope to have dyno at end of week. Also will be installing water meth :) Aiming for over 150rwkw on diesel only. The aftermarket "high performance" clutch gave up during road tuning last week ;) New one being fitted today :)

The hilux will respond well to the meth water my 1KZT did. With a 3 GPH nozzle made 26 hp on at the wheels and a lot of torque only on 10% methanol rest water Now I'm running 13 GPH nozzle. It's one of the best bang for buck mods you can do. I'm surprised a lot more people don't do it

as much as i respect you mastery knowledge ,sorry dougal but yes i don't agree about no size limit. to big and you lag in spooling ,just like thicker schedule you lag too.at least thats what i found out toying with the hdt intakes .

I've had it on for about 6 yrs and I'm still happy. I only use it for short bursts of more power and I've always felt like I was getting an instant 10-20% increase. It's very noticeable.

On the big mountain hills in BC I use it for up to several minutes at a time and all else being equal it allows me an extra 10km/h up the worst hills when I'm maxed out and limited by EGTs. Or, if I keep the speed the same it'll knock 100F off the EGTs. Either way, that's a ~10% change.

I converted my washer fluid bottle for the meth but most of the year I just run straight blue fluid (~30% methanol) so I can still wash my windows in winter. It injects and feels the same as a home-mixed water/meth but that doesn't work well on the windows. It needs the magic blue stuff. In summer I do about 1/3 each water / methanol / blue fluid. Roughly 40% meth in the overall mixture.

I'm using a single 225cc/min nozzle (3.5GPH) with full pump pressure (I believe it's only 150psi).

I've never tried going straight water or close to it.

Graeme if you check this link there's some data from this past weekend with my intercooler temperatures as well as the effect of the water/meth. In short, pre-IC 135C / post-IC 52C / with meth 32C / ambient 15C. With the IC and the methanol I calculated 86% effective cooling. :cool:

Last edited:
That's pretty cool, definitely sounds like a worthwhile mod. What's in the blue stuff that makes it clean the windows better (just a type of soap I'm guessing). Just wondering if its ok to be putting into the motor (although if you've been using it for 6 years it doesn't sound like it would be a problem)

That's pretty cool, definitely sounds like a worthwhile mod. What's in the blue stuff that makes it clean the windows better (just a type of soap I'm guessing). Just wondering if its ok to be putting into the motor (although if you've been using it for 6 years it doesn't sound like it would be a problem)

Water/Methanol Mix.
The cheap blue windscreen washer fluid is a water meth mix.

LOTS OF EDITS...

Methyl hydrate is straight methanol. $10 a gallon at Home Depot. When mixed at 50/50 by volume that's $5 a gallon vs $2 a gallon for blue fluid...

About your results, I've found the same thing. The best power gain I can "feel" comes from straight blue fluid.

I found it interesting to see that on Supraforums they are saying the "correct" way to mix is by weight, not volume. I haven't double checked but they're saying 9 parts meth to 7 parts water will give you the hottest mix recommended, 50% by weight.

I've always mixed by volume so I'm only coming in at about 44% by weight. Not a big difference and the washer fluid I use is listed at 45-50% methanol by volume so could be as low as 40% by weight.

Hard to explain why my seat-of-the-pants-o-meter thinks the blue stuff makes more power. Oh well, it certainly is cheaper!

This past weekend I used 50% meth 50% water and it didn't really feel like it was making any extra power. I'm basing this on hard acceleration, then turn on the meth and feel a change in acceleration. There was cooling going on, but slightly less than the test results I had from the previous week. I've never really experimented with straight or almost straight water because I don't want to be stuck with that in my washer reservoir. It doesn't do a damn thing for your windshield!

Just for kicks I just installed a new nozzle - 7GPH, which is double my current 225cc/min nozzle. I'm going to take twice as much fluid with me on my week trip in the interior 8 days from now. Just trying to decide what mix to use for testing. Maybe blue supplemented with more meth for 50% by weight on the drive up and straight blue on the drive home. Might even try straight water or a really low mix at some point but again, it doesn't help with the windshield.

Last edited:
I've used straight water with less seat of the pants results.....in order water, methal hydrate/water, then the blue fluid being the best. I have the same size nozzle as you and installed an additional washer fluid tank and I can drain one of the tanks by the coquihalla summit with only switching the meth on hills.

I"m going to fab up a cheap top mount air to air with a fan and scoop this weekend just for fun. I don't have your guys disposable cash but it's still fun playing:D

anyone done a 3" log manifold or even a 3.5"
This might be the size I am going to run with if I go this route?
BigBoy mentioned that it will double the intakes size roughly.

Any cons to running a 3" as opposed to a 4" enlarged plenum?

Im currently running 5". And think its too big. My money is on 3" for allround performance.

anyone done a 3" log manifold or even a 3.5"
This might be the size I am going to run with if I go this route?
BigBoy mentioned that it will double the intakes size roughly.

Any cons to running a 3" as opposed to a 4" enlarged plenum?

When I looked at a chunk of 3" pipe next to my existing manifold it was "better" but didn't really "wow" me that much. 4" did. I never actually measured the original volume but I figure it was about 2L and it's now between 2.5-3x what it was.

I was hoping for ~1.5x engine displacement. My 23" long 4" pipe with a 1/8" wall works out to 4.16L. Add in whatever is left of the original manifold (>1L) and the 6" piece of 3" that makes up my plenum entry (~.5L) and I'm getting pretty close to 6L. Not bad.

A 3" pipe the same length (also with a 1/8" wall) is only 54% the volume of the 4" pipe. A 3.5" pipe will be 75% the volume of the 4".

Figure out the biggest you can fit under the hoodybonnet and go with that.

This is my new manifold after the modded 4.5L plenum didn't fit. It's similar to what they run on the TD42s

imagehhynk.jpg

image2ile.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom