1fzfe oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone had same issues as this. Finally decided to fix oil leak from just above oil pump cover. Oil was coming out between the timing cover and block. Anyway I removed timing cover and found an oring that wasn't doing its job just above the oil pump drive. Has anyone had this problem before?? I am ordering genuine orings and refitting everything. What sealer does everyone recommend as I don't want to have to remove it all again to fix a leak from crappy sealer. Genuine Toyota sealer any good

If your buying genuine seals, gaskets and clean everything nice with the surfaces flat it will be fine without sealant, if you keen on Toyota sealant I use 08826-00080 Black oil pan sealant it is designed to seal the sumps with no gasket at all so it is awesome, But I'm not familiar with the configuration of the part you are fitting, be careful none gets into oil galleries when you torque it up that will lead to big $ repairs.
There is a good loctite flexable gasket maker that only cures when there is no air reducing the risk of bits ending up in oil galleries. A little bit of any sealant goes a long way.
Good luck with the repair

Toyota FIPG is your best bet. Did you remove the oil pan before taking the timing cover off?

I have the same leak, it be great if you could take a few pics so I know what im getting myself into:grinpimp:
But seriously Toyota FIPG is great stuff, I've never had it fail after a repair and it's quite easy to work with.

Nut430: could you post up a couple of photos of where you are in the repair?

image.jpeg
Here is a picture

You must remove sump as there are 2 pressed in studs at bottom of timing cover that go through sump. I am using genuine Toyota sealer. You would have to be pretty stupid to get sealer in oil galleries. You must use sealer on the timing case as there is oil present in the cover from the sump. As for repair time it has taken 5 hours to strip and clean ready for reassembly. If it takes more than 5 to put it back together on the floor in my shed then I will hang up my spanners and hand in my trade certificate as a mechanic..

With that sort of o-ring seal I wouldn't use sealant. For the most part if it has an o-ring or rubber gasket I don't use any sealant, just make sure everything is clean and assemble.

With that sort of o-ring seal I wouldn't use sealant. For the most part if it has an o-ring or rubber gasket I don't use any sealant, just make sure everything is clean and assemble.
I wasn't saying put sealer in the oring I stated that you must use sealer to seal the timing cover to the block. It needs to be done so oil doesn't leak out as there is oil splashing around in the cover....

Anyway I finished off the repair a couple of nights ago and have tested over the last couple days with no oil leaks. All up it has taken me 10 hours from start to finish and approx $70 Australian for parts including genuine Toyota sealer which works very well. I'm now considering a turbo install as I have purchased a t4 65mm turbo at a good price. I need to find an off the shelf manifold to save money.

You must remove sump as there are 2 pressed in studs at bottom of timing cover that go through sump. I am using genuine Toyota sealer. You would have to be pretty stupid to get sealer in oil galleries. You must use sealer on the timing case as there is oil present in the cover from the sump. As for repair time it has taken 5 hours to strip and clean ready for reassembly. If it takes more than 5 to put it back together on the floor in my shed then I will hang up my spanners and hand in my trade certificate as a mechanic..

Can you get the timing cover off with the head on? It sounds like yes, but I hear no. Any good news for me?

hey guys
iv just purchased an 80 with the same leak, is it possible to do this job without removing the head ?

cheers

Yes, but the risk is that when you push the cover back into place you disrupt the sealant along the top edge.
This may help. Jump to about the 9:30 mark for comments about leaving the head in place.

Did you remove the oil pans?

Sure did mate, got everything removed except the head
Going to try pull the oil pump shaft out tomorrow behind the oil pump cover and hopefully that’ll allow me squeeze it out

Read everything related to @cruiserdan He is "The Guru" and he did this personally a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom