1FZ-FE Power Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While surfing Mark's site I found a table that lists power specs of various engines, Toy and others. At any rate there are two listings for the 1FZ-FE. I realize the differences aren't huge but for those that don't have forced induction anything helps. What are the differences (cams, TB, computer, OZ fuel, etc.)? Maybe Dan or someone from OZ can shed some light.

1FZ-FE
inline-6
4477 (4.5ltr)
PETROL EFI
158@4600 - 211 hp
373@3200 - 275 ft/lbs

1FZ-FE (2003)
inline-6
4477 (4.5ltr)
PETROL EFI
165@4600 - 221 hp
387@3600 - 285 ft/lbs

FWIW, yours and mine are 212hp@4600rpm, 275 ft-lb@3200rpm, so one other variable for ya! Somehow we gained 1 hp. :D

Last edited:
Most likely has something to due with changes in the ECU programming and the coil over ignition system available on Non North American 1FZ's,

i would agree with kazmanff. no distributor and a better computer with more advanced programing creates the differences. robbie

That would be an expensive way to get that increment of power - acquiring and integrating those components. Cheaper to have the head ported and polished and milled during a HG replacement, I'd wager.

Is anyone aware of a header for this engine?

DougM

Downey made a header. I had one, sold it on ebay and it disappeared in transit.

IdahoDoug said:
Is anyone aware of a header for this engine?

Over the past 4 years or so there have been a handful of guys that have installed a header and the general opinion was that there was no improvement in performance or economy. I believe that Photoman was one of those but I cannot remember others.

As you can appreciate, the design of the factory header is very well done and they don't leave room for much improvement.

-B-

firetruck - my bad the conversion table I used didn't round up. It was somthing like 211.2 hp.

As far as the advanced programing, that would be beyond what OBD I vehicles. You guys with OBD II could integrate those type of changes much easier, prolly just a reflash of the programing.

Speaking of porting and headers, has anyone who has done head work or O/H considered Extrude Hone? I know it works well on aluminum heads to port and equalize port dimension/flow. A few years back on another truck I was entertaining having the exhaust manifolds Extrude honed (to maintain stock apperance). Rather than go through the trouble of locating a header over seas, while the head is off for O/H send out the manifold. I'd have to give then a call and see what would be involved.

http://www.gethoned.com

http://www.gethoned.com/your_parts.html

Quich search on their site $580 - $660 for iron exhaust manifolds and $700 - $780 for Al head. Far cheaper than that gorgeous header, his name eludes me (our So Cali friend w/ the low rider). They offer a 15-20% discount on group buys, something to consider.

If there is anyone that lives in the Pittsburgh, PA area that is interested the headquarters is in Irwin, PA. Maybe take a tour and see what they can do.

Well that is some info to ponder.

Good points. Agree the factory ex mans are quite efficient already. Like any casting, the interior surfaces could be cleaned up, but I'd wonder how small the increment of flow would be given their length vs the entire exhaust.

Even the head is quite well made in terms of gas flow and angles. It's a cross flow design (intake on one side, exhaust on the other) which also helps the combustion environment.

DougM

IBCRUSN said:
As far as the advanced programing, that would be beyond what OBD I vehicles. You guys with OBD II could integrate those type of changes much easier, prolly just a reflash of the programing.

Probably not. As was stated earlier the difference in the direct ignition system which would probably require a slew of new electronics and harnesses. Direct ignition systems don't have distributors. When you throw that guy out you have to replace it with something.

we got 3 power upgrades in Aus, pre 94 1fz [first air flow meter version] and post 95 1fz [no AF meter, different injectors/computer] and 100 1fz coil packs different computer set up, different inlet manifold etc].

Ive had both the later ones, and if you want grunt, just turbo the 1fz, it makes for a great engine, when done well, and you will spend ast least 50% of the cost doing anything else to make half as much of an increase, and you wont get the economy benifits the turbo version gives. [yes, Ive had a turbo 1fz as well ]

Very good memory -B-

FWIW, I put a set of headers on around 1999. It was just a seat of the pants test, but the cruiser felt like it actually lost power. An adapter has to be made from the two piece headers to the stock system. Also, I had a lot of trouble with exhaust leaks with the exhaust coming loose at the exhaust ball joint fittings. I had to keep drilling the flange bolt holes for larger and larger bolts. Unless someone shows me some figures from a dyno I will stick with the stock manifolds. Also, seems like I had to do something with those tin heat shields to get them to work.

Again FWIW, about four years ago I was talking to a guy from a local speed shop, and he told me to take my head out to extrude hone. IIRC, they had two prices, one for just doing their smoothing process, and another if I took them the gaskets and they matched the ports. I called them and they said to bring the head over, but I never got around to pulling it so that’s where it ended.

Bill

Photoman said:
Very good memory -B-

Funny, I can't remember the names of half the people at work and we only have 40 employees. But the IMPORTANT things (i.e. details of Bill's most excellent Cruiser) never escape the grey cells. :D

-B-

I was optimistic that Supra cam gears would work for the 1FZ engine, no such luck they use belts rather than gears. I guess I'll have to wait until 250K when a V8 can be transplanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom