1FZ-FE Coolant System maintenance question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DO NOT for ANY REASON open up a perfectly fine operating 1FZ to do a pre-emptive HG swap. That's the worst idea ever. Stop listening to the peanut gallery who wants to use your money for you.

I disagree.

I pulled the head off my LX450 after two to three weeks of purchasing. Lots of these vehicles are long in the tooth and in need of serious maintenance. I'd wager at least 60% of the 80 series vehicles on the road need all new coolant and vacuum hoses at a bare minimum. You might as well rip the thing apart, inspect it, and then re-assemble it.

At this point if you're buying an 80 and actually want to take it anywhere I suggest most owners pull it apart. It's also a good time to drain the engine block, replace the radiator/water pump/thermostat/etc. and drain/flush the heater cores.

Most people do a real s***ty job of maintaining their vehicles and if you actually need to service the vehicle on the trail or the side of the road you're pretty much SOL with all that old stuff.

OP - I think you're good especially if you have the paperwork.

I disagree.

I pulled the head off my LX450 after two to three weeks of purchasing. Lots of these vehicles are long in the tooth and in need of serious maintenance. I'd wager at least 60% of the 80 series vehicles on the road need all new coolant and vacuum hoses at a bare minimum. You might as well rip the thing apart, inspect it, and then re-assemble it.

At this point if you're buying an 80 and actually want to take it anywhere I suggest most owners pull it apart. It's also a good time to drain the engine block, replace the radiator/water pump/thermostat/etc. and drain/flush the heater cores.

Most people do a real s***ty job of maintaining their vehicles and if you actually need to service the vehicle on the trail or the side of the road you're pretty much SOL with all that old stuff.

Just to add context that people may or may not know if you have followed my 80 journey.
My cruiser was exclusively dealer serviced and done in a timely manner by the 1st owner.
The second owner owner follow as well until it looks like they ran into financial trouble. The last year and a half is where independents and chain stores came into place. It came up for sale in a divorce sale and I was able to buy it. Which at the time was high, but looks like a bargain now. I’ve spend a crazy amount of money to most in building the best truck I can as I plan on keeping it for the for seeable future. Thanks for all you input guys. Look forward to meeting manny if you at events next year!

I disagree.

I think you'll find that there is good support for 'base-lining' any newly purchased Land Cruiser (sans extensive maintenance records) here on the forum. THAT comes highly recommend and includes items beyond just the fluids.

BUT that does not include replacing a head gasket, (where there is no evidence of impending failure). Anymore than one would rebuild the transmission (if working fine) knowing that at some point....it will have issues as well.

Best to let the owner decide what level of refurbishing might be necessary based on their use and expectations for the vehicle.

I think you'll find that there is good support for 'base-lining' any newly purchased Land Cruiser (sans extensive maintenance records) here on the forum. THAT comes highly recommend and includes items beyond just the fluids.

BUT that does not include replacing a head gasket, (where there is no evidence of impending failure). Anymore than one would rebuild the transmission (if working fine) knowing that at some point....it will have issues as well.

Best to let the owner decide what level of refurbishing might be necessary based on their use and expectations for the vehicle.

Transmissions aren't really subjected to the same type of failure that cooling systems are. Rarely do transmissions drop all their "cooling fluid". Puling the thing apart allows you give it a good inspect of things since most likely most 80 series are 250k+.

Everyone's got their own opinion of how to properly baseline a vehicle but unless you've got some service history you're mostly in for some serious maintenance. I did the head gasket in my LX (not recommended), easier to pull the engine out and just re-gasket it.

Transmissions aren't really subjected to the same type of failure that cooling systems are. Rarely do transmissions drop all their "cooling fluid". Puling the thing apart allows you give it a good inspect of things since most likely most 80 series are 250k+.

Everyone's got their own opinion of how to properly baseline a vehicle but unless you've got some service history you're mostly in for some serious maintenance. I did the head gasket in my LX (not recommended), easier to pull the engine out and just re-gasket it.

Glad that worked for you.

But still do not accept it being a wise recommendation for everyone.

I was probably the first person to do a HG as PM. Fought a lot of flack but the gasket was compromised. That was my first 80 and on my second I did the same and it was compromised as well.

As far as your excellent maintenance record, search HG posts for Idahodoug. He had two 80s one that he had since new and regularly touted how his cooling system was in perfect shape. He ended up doing 3 HG jobs in a short time which lead to a DVD.

For me the risk of breaking down and the possibility of doing more damage to the engine from that is enough to do the repair on my own time line.

But I’ve probably have done 10 of them by now so it doesn’t bother me to do them.

I will say of all those HGs a single 1993 had a perfect specimen and probably had years of service ahead of it.

Glad that worked for you.

But still do not accept it being a wise recommendation for everyone.

I did break one of the timing chain guides while doing the headgasket... that resulted in a lot of fun, not.

Absolutely. In general I wouldn't recommend pulling a vehicle apart unless you've got quite a bit of mechanical experience. I knew what i was in for when I found the pesky heater hose broken in half almost and all my hoses were harder than bricks. I think its worth noting how old these vehicles are and with the whole overland taking off I think quite a few people who browse these forums need to be strongly reminded they are typically buying vehicles in need of serious maintenance at this point.

Kind of sucks a 105 series was never offered here :/ .

I did a HG as PM probably around the time that Rick did his.

Still sucked. :lol:
It starts to suck less with repetition. The anxiety that comes with doing it the first time is responsible for the bulk of the suck. I see a HG repair as a right of passage for 80 owners.

Kind of sucks a 105 series was never offered here :/ .

Yeah a 105 with a 5 speed manual would be the Cats Meow.

Everyone else got all the good stuff on the 80 series too. Barn doors, swing away tire carrier, factory winch, 5 speed manual trans, diesel engines, etc......

Yeah a 105 with a 5 speed manual would be the Cats Meow.

Everyone else got all the good stuff on the 80 series too. Barn doors, swing away tire carrier, factory winch, 5 speed manual trans, diesel engines, etc......
Why would anyone ever want barn doors over a tailgate? Also I don't think I'd trust the factory tire carrier long term unless you are running stock size tires...diesel would've been cool I agree though I really do like the 1fz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom