1F Crank Pulley Nut. Recommend a socket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
OK, so I know it's a 46mm nut (1-13/16") on the front of my 1F engine. The problem is that sucker's fully recessed inside the crank pulley, and there isn't much clearance. I just wasted $20 on a 46mm impact socket that won't fit into the recess because the socket's walls are too thick.

Can anyone recommend a socket that worked for them in this situation? Non-impact sockets are usually thinner walls, but there must be one out there that works? I don't think the 2F engines have a similar recess, so I'm hoping to hear from you 1F folks.

Thanks!

The Craftsman socket I have measures 2.49" od.
On my 74 F.5 I don't have the clearance issue.

Crank Socket.jpg

Crank Pulley.jpg

Found the 46mm socket at Northern Tool. Had no problem using an impact socket, no clearance issues either.

This is very curious. Now I wanna see this pulley.

This is very curious. Now I wanna see this pulley.

Good point. A photo of the balancer and nut will solve the dilemma.

Excellent. Once again proves the point that a picture is worth a thousand words.

The bolt-on accessory drive pulley must be removed in order to do your work.

Even if you had a socket that could access the nut, the point would be moot because you wouldn't be able to bend the tabs on the lock tab for the locknut.

IOW, what you have already will work fine.

Excellent. Once again proves the point that a picture is worth a thousand words.

The bolt-on accessory drive pulley must be removed in order to do your work.

Even if you had a socket that could access the nut, the point would be moot because you wouldn't be able to bend the tabs on the lock tab for the locknut.

IOW, what you have already will work fine.

That true? I was assuming the accessory pulley would not come off if I didn't take the nut off first. D'oh! Thanks for clarifying, I'll give it a go and report back.

Was there a locktab?

Replacements:
image.jpeg

Hah! I've seen you post a few of these pics, @65swb45 . You have quite the stash of parts - I'll reach out to you first when I have a worthy order put together. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom