1B leaking draft tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello forum. First time poster here and a proud owner of a 1975 BJ in central Luzon, Philippines. I have gone through alot on this truck in the last month (brakes were 90% replaced and the most aggravating experience of my life) but researching here provided an endless wealth of knowledge, thank you guys.

Onto my next challenge and not finding alot of info is the smelly, dirty old road draft tube found on what I believe is a 1980 1B in my truck. It releases quite a bit of oil onto the floor after a good drive. Originally, it exited right on top of the front drive shafts and the u-joint became an oil slinger. I later attached a rubber hose and connected it to the frame to allow the oil to exit more onto the roadway instead of my driveway. I have had old Chevy stove bolt 6's with the draft tube and the oil seepage was minimal. This is excessive on the BJ. It is leaving silver dollar puddles everytime it is driven and parked. I have driven probably some 200 miles and have checked the oil and it is within specs on the dips tick but is getting a little low. I originally thought it was because I filled it to the high spec on the dipstick the day I got her home and did an oil change and the excess oil was exiting the draft tube. But the leak persists.
This BJ 1B has no PCV as I understand it was not original to the engine but I am now considering an installation of one to help eliminate this problem. I have a constant *puff puff* of steam/ whitish smoke coming from the tube at idle upon warm up as well. I have read that this is an indication of excessive high mileage and the valve seals/ rings are nearing their life span even though my original gauge indicates very good oil pressure. I have not performed a compression test/ leak down test as of yet.
I guess my question is, what is the best way of stopping the oil leak right now. I don't really want to put a catch can down there on the draft tube. I want the oil to stay inside the engine permanently without further maintenance. Looking at the draft tube itself, it looks like a poor design. It comes straight out of the engine block and heads immediately down. To me, it seems as if it made a small vertical incline and then headed down, it would make it much less likely for oil to escape. I am thinking of removing the tube aND doing some brazing surgery with an angle piece of copper tubing. Are these tube pressed into the block? Can they be removed and replaced without causing further woes? Thank you to all for your insight.

Here is a pic of the offending mess maker.

1520894908719-736138418.jpg

Welcome! You'll probably get more info in the diesel section here on Mud. There's lots of ideas on how to solve this problem over there.

I had a BJ42 with a 3B for several years, and what you're describing for the drip was about what mine would do. I ended up just putting a catch can under the tube. I just used an old soup can with steel wool in the bottom to keep the oil from blowing out. A piece of bailing wire secured it over the bracket that's in your picture. It was very basic, but it worked. No drips on the floor. And it didn't cost anything. I would just empty it every time I changed my oil.

Good luck! Oh, and we need pictures of your Cruiser!

Welcome! You'll probably get more info in the diesel section here on Mud. There's lots of ideas on how to solve this problem over there.

I had a BJ42 with a 3B for several years, and what you're describing for the drip was about what mine would do. I ended up just putting a catch can under the tube. I just used an old soup can with steel wool in the bottom to keep the oil from blowing out. A piece of bailing wire secured it over the bracket that's in your picture. It was very basic, but it worked. No drips on the floor. And it didn't cost anything. I would just empty it every time I changed my oil.

Good luck! Oh, and we need pictures of your Cruiser!

Thank you FF LC Freak! I have read about the tomato soup can idea. I have to say, it is an inexpensive option but I want to experiment with the reformatting the angle on the tube idea but at the same time, I do not want to FUBAR the thing to pieces rendering it useless and making an even bigger problem. Has anyone ever altered this tube? I guess for now, I will do the can deal. I bought this truck a Lil over a month ago. The PO had it restored fairly well about 15 years ago. As is the usual case here in the Philippines, alot of safety issues were overlooked either due to lack of concern and/ or lack of access to parts. The brakes were a total mess. I could only find rebuild kits for the rear cylinders so I'm hoping I did a sufficient job and they hold juice. The front disc conversion had siezed calipers. It was a scary 20 mile drive home. Also, I had the e brake shoes rebonded and installed an aftermarket e brake handle as mine was missing. I'm still encountering issues with that. Maybe a few more adjustments. The 1B has been outfitted with AC & power steering and it is nice. I'm also trying to tackle the spare tire mounting problem. I have a tube type original steelie that fits nice on the OG rack but it is only a decoration. I'm going to try to add a wheel spacer so a 31" × 10.5 will fit. I'm not fond of the late 90s silver 16" aluminum LC ris on there now but if I keep them, I'm going to have them painted/ PC satin black.
Thank you for your reply and welcoming me to the forum!

1520898712969-552398566.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom