1997 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced both of the cv half axle shafts today, and when I pulled them completely out gear oil came pouring out of the diff, total loss of maybe a quart, where the heck do i refill it at? I'd say it was a :banana: :banana: job if anyone is in the need for this repair, it was my first attempt and went rather smoothly other than dumping her fluid out all over my garage floor, TIA, Brad.

Under the skid plate there is a 7.5 taco shell diff. You need a good size allen to remove the plugs. The drain is on the bottom drivers side and the fill is on the front side. Fill it level with the fill hole.
:cheers:

Thanks Hyperlite, Have you ever done the cv axle shafts, they're still squeeking like a stuck pig, Brad.

An if they are the same plaug as the 90 here which has same front end as Tacoma/tundra the plug is a 10mm Allen key to undo.

So,

Let me get this strait. You installed new half shafts, and they were packed with Moly grease, and they are making noise? Is this at low speed, constant, or high speed? This really does not make any sense... Do you have a massive IFS lift in this truck without lowering the center diff?

Very confused.

-Steve

It has an 1-1/2" Lift, it makes the noise at any speed but only when turning the wheel, the shafts are the lifetime warranty remaned ones from carquest, they fit perfectly so i can't figure out why they would squeek, any advice would be great, TIA, Brad.

bearings???? i don't know IFS though

when in 4wheel drive or all the time??

are your wheels turned all the way when it make these sounds?? if so dont turn so much in 4wd.......my brothers 97 (hyperlite) makes noises and he just replaced his whole front diff but the noises only come when in 4wd and the wheels are turned more than 1/2 way to either side. he has about 4 1/2 of suspension lift and no diff drop!! he purchased cv unlimited newfields

Thanks for all of the replies, i'm not sure if the remaned axles needed boken in or what but the squeeking went away after a few hundred miles, found the darn lube hole, don't know why toyota made the drain plug and fill plug two different sizes?? Thanks again,Brad.

keep a 10M.M. Big ol Allen WRENCH in the glove box for now on ,

ask me why i do now

:(

Hey 4runnerjade, your going to have to find a new avator, sorry i dont share.....

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=19;threadid=10267;start=msg97778#msg97778 date=1075729421]
Hey 4runnerjade, your going to have to find a new avator, sorry i dont share.....
[/quote]

hows this AVITAR :D

i'll share ;)
nice rack ,

ShedGuy-You're obviously not one to be greedy with avatars because i think that is my truck in yours :D :D, J/K i couldn't care less because if it is my truck i'll never get tired of looking at it anyway, Brad.

Well, it wasnt your truk when we were there :p :D :flipoff2:

But I did take the pic, before hanging off the front bumper with some others.

Shedguy - Are you one of the three amigos talked about on Slee's site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom