Builds 1995 HZJ77 wagon build - Japan sourced (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Next up - finally removing the stuck bolt from the rear door tire carrier.

If you've followed my build, you know that the previous owner (assumedly a small Japanese person) took the rear tire carrier off the door and then put the bolts back in it. One of which rusted itself into the captured nut...

I tried a variety of ways to get it out
- wrench (snapped the bolt head)
- "easy out" - was anything but easy and snapped in the bolt - thus making it impossible to further drill...
- chisel - just managed to shave the sides of the bolt down further...
- micro torch - got some of the rust out, but the bolt wouldn't budge...

Which leads me to how I FINALLY managed to get it out - I cut a hole in the interior of the door large enough to weld through, and then welded a bolt to the bolt from the inside so I could spin it out.
20200804_144504.jpg

Even that didn't actually go as planned... the bolt I welded on broke off several times (bad spot welds a few times, and the actual bolt sheared off as well... )
When I finally got it to work, it turns out that all I ended up doing was snapping the captured nut off of the door - with the broken bolt still in it... But.. It's out!

20200804_145513.jpg

Success!

😳 I am afraid to look too deep into the sheetmetal of mine now.

Regarding the handle install. On the PZJ70 I had which was LX trim...the headliner stopped (where you see the sewn line) at the top of the windshield instead of going all the way down to the dash. On my HZJ77, it goes all the way down the A pillar to the dash like in your pictures and I hate that because I would like to add a handle also but too afraid to start peeling back headliner.
Pulling the headliner back is pretty easy. Just pull the plastic trim off (it's just held on by friction) and then there will be a few metal clips holding the headliner onto the frame. they just slide off (and can be re-used). You then have access to the metal to drill holes. Just be sure to paint them before putting a nut-cert in so that the sheet metal doesn't end up rusting later.

Next up: Differential and transmission breathers!

I've seen a few kits to put these in, but they're usually $150+ for the hosing and a breather block... so... I made my own. (Total parts cost - in the $40-50 range)

I got a block of aluminum and drilled 4 holes (front diff, transmission, transfer case, rear diff - though as it turns out, there isn't a transfer case breather)
IMG_9783 (3).JPG

Tapped the 4 holes with NPT threads to fit sintered filters on top, and press fit pneumatic lines on bottom
IMG_20200727_200746_447.jpg
IMG_20200727_200746_449.jpg

All I had to do then was remove the original breathers from the axles and put in a new press fit fitting into the axles and run the hosing to the engine compartment. Then make a bracket to mount it to the random open captured nut on the back of the air filter box.
20201004_144315.jpg

But of course it didn't go that easily...

I had a rather hard time finding the transmission breather... so much so that I ended up messaging Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters on FB and they told me that it's this thing (the picture attached is what they sent me)
FB_IMG_1596545335438.jpg

As you can see the Transmission breather is a little capped thingy on top of the transmission. Which means I had to pull up all of my carpeting, and access the transmission from the top cover (which thankfully on the 77 unbolts - unlike the FJ40's...)
20200820_143503.jpg

20200820_151247.jpg

Here's my thingy:

20200820_143517.jpg
20200804_151321.jpg

The problem, I found, is:
A. that cap isn't removable
B. the piece that holds that cap is PRESS FIT into the transmission

I messaged Kurt again, and he said that: yeah, you can't just use the original breather end like the axles - but we do sell a replacement press-in connector that you can put hosing on. So I ordered one. Part number: DIFF36149 - OEM Toyota T-Case/Trans 90* Breather Pipe - $12.50

After much finagling - (with me under the car holding a pry bar head onto the cap - and my dad prying it while trying not to mash my fingers between either the prybar and transmission or the pry bar and transmission tunnel.... ) we finally managed to get it off.

Here it is with the new pneumatic hosing installed. (just clean out the hole and tap it GENTLY in with a hammer)
20200820_152847.jpg

After getting that installed, I was able to finish up the breather hoses and plug them all into the breather block I made and mounted in the engine bay.
Sadly, this saga doesn't end there.

My shift boot cover kept coming off, so I put a hose clamp on it. (easy fix)
20200820_153821.jpg

And but when I pulled up my carpeting to access the transmission tunnel to start this project - oh god... the horror...
20200820_135625.jpg

So... hammer and chisel time -

20200820_135945.jpg

20200820_140734.jpg

I pulled up the carpet and checked the passenger side and found that it was in a similar, but not as bad condition.
20200820_140752.jpg

Turns out the drain plugs for the body mount bolt area (what's under that black plastic cap with rust stains coming out of it) had been blocked off (the PO was an idiot and put truck bed liner on the underbody OVER those drain plugs...) and was leaking into the floor boards...

So I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and the excess bed liner out and stripped both sides and then POR15'd all the metal surfaces to prevent further rust.
20200820_163231.jpg

Which was easy on the driver's side, but the passenger's side had a new horror for me to find.
The PO had filled up the floorboard/firewall seam (the rust apparently worked its way in there on the passenger side) with epoxy filler...
20200820_174309.jpg

So... That's gonna need to be cut out further and patched... (but seeing as it won't be visible - I have the confidence to tackle that one my self.) Not sure if I'm going to just cut a patch to fit that and then fill it with weld, or actually cut it out further and put a larger patch in...

Another project I got done was rebuilding the headlight assemblies. Upon getting the cruiser stateside from Japan I had to adjust the headlights to be biased to the right for driving on the right-side of the road. (Japan obviously drive on the left) Otherwise everyone I'd pass would have my headlights in their eyes...

As I was adjusting them, it became readily obvious that the original brackets were on their last legs due to rust... So, new parts!
20200710_124325.jpg
20200710_202715.jpg

Even the back of the Koito headlight bulb housings were rusted... but not having new housings and liking the Koito ones, I got the rust off with a fine wire wheel and painted them.
20200710_202657.jpg

Turns out, I ordered two left hand brackets... so I also had to strip and paint the old right hand one. Thankfully it was in decent shape.

20200710_201718.jpg

Anyways, back to the 77!

I like the look of the 1999+ signal housings and lenses, but don't like the clear lenses... (clear on left, orange on right)
View attachment 2370698

so I decided to change them out. (I also finally got around to adding the flashy little "DIESEL" badge to the front grill)
View attachment 2370705

I also installed the 24v LED turn signal bulbs and new flasher from Odd Iron Off Road. (They're REALLY nice, and make the signals a LOT brighter) - Picture is of the new flasher wired into the under-the-steering wheel relay box
View attachment 2370702
Oh yeah... sadly with the 77 and the Fiat moving into the drive way we were kind of running out of room, so my '74 FJ40 had to be moved into storage... I can't wait to finally have a shop space where I have enough room to give it the love it deserves.

View attachment 2370706
Poor old 40....
Any plans for the clear lenses you replaced?

Hello,

There are two drain slots where the floor plate is welded to the side panel. Over time, they get plugged, and water from the windshield grille accumulates.

These slots are outside the frame rails. You have to clean them with a toothpick or a piece of wire (No. 8 I think, not sure about this) and wait for the water to drain.

Hope this helps.

Juan
Juan, can you expand on this? i’m trying to diagnose if this is my leak problem as well.

Where are these windshield grille drains?

Juan, can you expand on this? i’m trying to diagnose if this is my leak problem as well.

Hello,

Here they are. My camera had a hard time trying to focus.

These slits are below the front doors.

20200522_2.JPG

20200522_3.JPG

They are in the body, close to the frame rails.

Juan

If you put the garden hose down the grill, you will see the water coming out

Wow, so it's been forever since I last updated this. Uhhh... I'll try to catch up a bit?

October, 2020 - Somehow got a trailer pin or something through my tire and had to patch it... So learning how to patch a tire was an interesting new experience.
20201009_155824.jpg
20201009_160046.jpg

20201010_132130.jpg

It JUST barely fit in my friend's CRV so I could take it to have the tire removed from the wheel.
20201010_150420.jpg

20201010_152757.jpg

I ended up running the patch till November 2021, so I guess I did a decent job~

Next up, a little bit of fabrication work!
I'd been looking at a lot of different people's builds for rear drawers / storage setups, and decided to make my own.

The design I decided to go with was two lockable drawers, a flat top the same height as the rear seats when folded down, and access to the space above/behind the wheel wells for extra storage.

20201015_160722.jpg

Started with some .065 wall 1" square tubing and got to work cutting & welding.
To keep it in place, I ended up welding some side flanges that I could use some turnbuckle hooks to tie it down with the factory luggage tie downs

20201019_170751.jpg

20201019_180518.jpg

I needed the storage for a camping trip, so I made some temporary drawer fronts.
20201019_181203.jpg

After the camping trip in Nantahala Ntl Forest, I had to mod both the Cruiser and the drawers. I didn't want the weight of traditional drawer sliders (I have some, they're FREAKING heavy) so I went with a lighter weight option: HDPE strips screwed to the bottom.

20201104_122841.jpg

20201104_132828.jpg

I also got the drawer fronts the way I like them, and added locking drawer pull handles.

20201104_165902.jpg

Now all of my recovery gear and tools are organized!

20201104_160753.jpg

As for the Cruiser - the sun glaring off of the hump in the hood was pretty viscious, so Zac ordered some matte black vinyl wrap for us to put on.
20201021_140106.jpg

Next up: November, 2020. After having to call around a bit, I finally found a company that would come replace my cracked windshield for me. It took them quite a while, because apparently most of the techs haven't had any experience with the older "gasket" style windshields... But we got it done~ (after a little bit of rust clean up on the frame)

20201105_133053.jpg

20201105_133445.jpg

20201105_133518.jpg

Finally, some fun!

Thanks to a friend of mine, I was invited to go out wheeling with the NOAS (Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast) crew up at Uwharrie National Forest's OHV park.

20201220_191223.jpg

Had to flex a bit on Dicky-Bell~ ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom