1994 80 Series Front ABS sensors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm having some ABS issues and would like to replace the front wheel sensors.. I know I will likely try removing them and giving them a wipe down, but are there replacements available? I see them for 100 series Landcruisers.

Its pulling to the right, new pads and calipers all the way around gave some improvement for short while,, I've not been into the birfs as they aren't giving any real trouble indicators, no noise, possibly a small bit of leakage?

Anybody local to Central Illinois? I'm an old guy, and had no intention of becoming an 80 series tech,, that is a laugh, but I've had to learn a few things,, and NO, I'm not tech savvy, but I do appreciate the forum a great deal...

Last edited:
I'm having some ABS issues and would like to replace the front wheel sensors.. I know I will likely try removing them and giving them a wipe down, but are there replacements available? I see them for 100 series Landcruisers.

Its pulling to the right, new pads and calipers all the way around gave some improvement for short while,, I've not been into the birfs as they aren't giving any real trouble indicators, no noise, possibly a small bit of leakage?

Anybody local to Central Illinois? I'm an old guy, and had no intention of becoming an 80 series tech,, that is a laugh, but I've had to learn a few things,, and NO, I'm not tech savvy, but I do appreciate the forum a great deal...

What year is this? Are you sure it's just the front? If the Birfs are leaking a bit then you might need to service the axle, new seals, wipers, grease etc.

1994, its in the title of the post,, it seems to be in the front,, the brakes are good, but it seems that the ABS is activating and releasing one brake?? as I said,, I've had no issues with the Birf's other than a very light weaping,, its an old truck, kinda like an old Camaro of Firebird,, they all leak in their natural state, or maybe you could say like a Stearman or Cessna 195..

Hell, my wife's 2013 Durango had to have brakes all the way around, and now has developed the infamous V-6 "Filter/Cooler" leak,, yes, I replaced the damn thing,,, and its not leaking now,, but looks like I need to do the valve covers now. I've got a needy Firebird and a 1995 pick-up that was my Dad's last truck,, so I've got lots of old leaky junk..

So I've been slowly driving and baselining my Cruiser on a budget, and it needs that leaky speedo sensor on the transfer case replaced.. and yeah, I've spent more money on this damned thing than I would have if I had just bought a nice Chevy K5

Using a voltmeter on the ohm setting, ohm out the sensor. You should see something between 700 and 3000 ohms. (often in the 1700-1800 ohm range)
Then, while still connected to the sensor, set the voltmeter to ACV and spin the tire/wheel/hub at roughly 30rpms.
Look for 2VAC or greater.
If reading is outside the ohms range or less than 2VAC, and a 'wipe down' doesn't resolve, replace the sensor and re-eval.
Otherwise the issue is something else.
Could be the tone ring itself (what the sensor uses to report back to the ECU).
It is bent or damaged in some way?

Last edited:
I just pulled a '97 into the bay this morning to take a look at exactly the same issue. First time I have personally had to deal with this exact flaw. I'll let you know what I find. I am expecting a bad sensor.

Mark...

Follow up to the above post:

As mentioned the rig I had this morning had exactly the same symptoms as the OP. Under light braking at slow speeds, the ABS would release the left side front wheel, causing a noticeable shudder in the pedal and a pull to the right.
Pulled the abs sensor and noticed a (very small) amount of metal/grease paste on the tip. Cleaned it off and boom... problem solved.

I had a lot of trouble getting a reliable voltage reading on this sensor or the known good one I had on hand for comparison. Luckily the cleaning was all it needed.

Hopefully the OP has the same luck.

I have seen dirty ABS sensors before, and I knew that this obviously could cause problems, but I'd never encountered this particular symptom of failure to function because of it. I have seen some in the rear drum brakes that looked like a tiny porcupine from all the metal but they were still doing their job. Possibly the fact that the ones in the rear drums are dry, not grease covered makes a difference?

Mark...

1994, its in the title of the post,, it seems to be in the front,, the brakes are good, but it seems that the ABS is activating and releasing one brake?? as I said,, I've had no issues with the Birf's other than a very light weaping,, its an old truck, kinda like an old Camaro of Firebird,, they all leak in their natural state, or maybe you could say like a Stearman or Cessna 195..

Hell, my wife's 2013 Durango had to have brakes all the way around, and now has developed the infamous V-6 "Filter/Cooler" leak,, yes, I replaced the damn thing,,, and its not leaking now,, but looks like I need to do the valve covers now. I've got a needy Firebird and a 1995 pick-up that was my Dad's last truck,, so I've got lots of old leaky junk..

So I've been slowly driving and baselining my Cruiser on a budget, and it needs that leaky speedo sensor on the transfer case replaced.. and yeah, I've spent more money on this damned thing than I would have if I had just bought a nice Chevy K5
None of my stuff leaks or weeps but your rig your problem. I would trying cleaning the sensors and making sure there is no grease or debris as that can cause them to have issues. From there I would then test to see if one has failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom