1994 4.7 Engine swap (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yah but you can super charge the non vvti!!!
You can supercharge both actually, the early model ones are simpler to fit the blower on since you don't have the sais stuff in the valley.

Sean

I appreciate all the pros and cons of the 4.7 swap. However, this thread is about my journey through the swap. The decision has been made, good or bad. I just simply want to chronicle the journey.

Good luck to you! Watching this thread progress. I am actually really surprised that this swap isn't more common. It would seem like a no-brainer to me to pick a 2uz over an LS (hp notwithstanding) , but I am also a Toyota Fanboi. Even though the 1FZ should be technically smoother as it is naturally balanced, my 2006 100 series I had was without a doubt the smoothest/quietest engine I have ever experienced. Keep us updated on it all!

That 2UZ will be a solid performer for sure. I've seen a few swapped into 80s and they do make it much nicer to drive.

Side note- whatcha doing with all the exhaust you removed? I need it!

That 2UZ will be a solid performer for sure. I've seen a few swapped into 80s and they do make it much nicer to drive.

Side note- whatcha doing with all the exhaust you removed? I need it!
I will most likely be getting rid of it, but not until the project is completed. I never get rid of anything while I am in the middle of a project. If I do, it usually comes back to haunt me. It is not in the best of shape, usable, but not great.

Keep me in mind...the Y-pipe on mine is cracked and I'll be doing an engine overhaul this winter and have it all apart anyway. Let me know if you need any wiring diagrams or info for the swap...I can likely help out

I appreciate all the pros and cons of the 4.7 swap. However, this thread is about my journey through the swap. The decision has been made, good or bad. I just simply want to chronicle the journey.
Completely agree... Love my 2uz and so happy I passed on the LS idea....

Good luck on your swap, wish you all the best!

Keep me in mind...the Y-pipe on mine is cracked and I'll be doing an engine overhaul this winter and have it all apart anyway. Let me know if you need any wiring diagrams or info for the swap...I can likely help out
Ok, I think that part is ok.
As for wiring...here is a teaser. More to come later

20231201_132736.jpg

Digging into the specifics of swapping my 96 to a 2uz. How do you address the Fuel Pump Control ECU that the 2UZ Land Cruisers use? And is the old Fuel Pump relay bypassed? I also assume that the wiring/ECU from Lexus v8 eliminated the immobilizer/ Transponder key requirement? I was looking at using an early Tundra Engine, and harness/ECU due to the non-immobilizer. As I was comparing diagrams between the 96 LC, 98 LC, and 2001 Tundra, I noticed the 80 series LC and the Tundra use the same Fuel pump relay setup, but the 100 series LC uses an ECU to control the Fuel Pump.

Digging into the specifics of swapping my 96 to a 2uz. How do you address the Fuel Pump Control ECU that the 2UZ Land Cruisers use? And is the old Fuel Pump relay bypassed? I also assume that the wiring/ECU from Lexus v8 eliminated the immobilizer/ Transponder key requirement? I was looking at using an early Tundra Engine, and harness/ECU due to the non-immobilizer. As I was comparing diagrams between the 96 LC, 98 LC, and 2001 Tundra, I noticed the 80 series LC and the Tundra use the same Fuel pump relay setup, but the 100 series LC uses an ECU to control the Fuel Pump.
As far as I have seen on my 01 tundra, there is a fuel pump relay, then a secondary fuel pump that controls the fuel pump voltage (9v or 12v) the first relay controls on/off then the second one is voltage control only. There is no secondary ecu or controller, it is done though the main ecu. Ill be using the circuit/connector with the resistor bypassed and that relay locked into 12v mode where the fuel pump resistor used to be to trigger my new fuel pump relay and to power my wideband and intercooler pumps when I get to it.

Sean

A couple of things, 1) According to LexusV8 the they are unable to acquire the calibration codes for programming Land Cruiser & Tundra ECU's. They use an ECU from a Sequoia. They program the immobilizer out. They are also able to remove the secondary o2 sensors if needed. 2) The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU. They provide wiring that simply connects to the power for the existing fuel pump relay. I have not got that far yet. I will keep this updated as I go.

Last edited:
I see you USE Timmothy at Lexus V8. I have worked with him on a couple of occasions. My plan was exactly like yours, buy a blown engine 80 and do a 4.7 swap to the the Million Mile Engine... Now if not to late and depending on your miles on that engine you got.. Consider this... There is a Oring between engine and trans under the rear main oil seal retainer. It will leak eventually! maybe 275-350K miles before it does. Cheap oring and seal now. My 99 was leaking there and the front oil pump o ring on top. 379K required pulling my engine out to fix. Just info, do whatever you feel you need to. Love keeping it Yota! Slee Off Road did one and its on their webpage possible can maybe answer some questions or keep you pointed in the right direction.

Please Pave the way for all of us!! I own two LandCruisers a 1994 80 series and a 1999 100 series.

Tex

A couple of things, 1) According to LexusV8 the they are unable to acquire the calibration codes for programming Land Cruiser & Tundra ECU's. They use an ECU from a Sequoia. They program the immobilizer out. They are also able to remove the secondary o2 sensors if needed. 2) The fuel pump is controlled by the ECU. They provide wiring that simply connects to the power for the existing fuel pump relay. I have not got that far yet. I will keep this updated as I go.

Totally correct… I have the older low, med, and High ECU fuel pump system. My hacked sequoia ECU can be configured A work with my vintage Fuel Pump ECU or a two relay system to have hi low or just Hi .. your choice. To
Change that option, I have to send my ECU back to timmoty to update it.

I am doing a supercharger and don’t know if the fuel demand will be over the fuel supply when the ECU raising my fuel pressure LOw Med Hi
If it not sufficient I send my Sequoia ECU to Timothy to enable Fuel pump relay .. and pull my interior out the back left and install a relay in place of the Fuel Pimp ecu. On my year

Not to but in, just wanted to add something to this discussion I am myself involved in.

Tex

1705776462008.png

I fired the engine up today to make sure all was good before continuing on. The wiring harness from LexusV8 worked great.

Concerning the fuel pump, the harness from LexusV8 comes with with a fuel pump relay. He provides an output to run the pump. Simply remove existing relay, remove pump power wire (see picture) and connect to his output.

20240121_071905.jpg

Concerning the fuel pump, the harness from LexusV8 comes with with a fuel pump relay. He provides an output to run the pump. Simply remove existing relay, remove pump power wire (see picture) and connect to his output.

View attachment 3538243
Fantastic you got it started and running .
I matter of fact will have an engine available pretty soon 4.7 v8. I strangely ran across a sequoia 04 engine from a rusted parted out 112600 mile truck. I got the air box , all the accessories on the engine including the fan with the ECM.

It was running up to the day I went and got it. My 99 engine, runs fantastic now, 4800 mile 1/2 qt oil usage and no leaks. It does have 386600 miles and I couldn’t pass up this pull out for the price.

I will eventually swap my 100 series engine over to just lower the mileage. I was on the fence to swap it into my 80 series like you are doing.

I am 90 % sure right now, I going to re ring, install bearings, head work , head studs , and turbo my 4.5 and keep it kinda original. The Aussies are doing fantastic job of turbo the 1FZ’s and keeping reliability in them.

So I have good running engine coming out of my personal 100 in the future. For those maybe wanting to do a swap too, following your lead

Funny thing, Club Lexus just did a most reliable V8 Toyota - Lexus engine. 1UZ won, then 3UR 5.7 followed my 2UZ. Can’t Hardly go wrong with any of these.

What transmission did you go with, the 100 series A343 or 80 A442 in your v8 swap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom