1994 4.7 Engine swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I look through the engine swaps I realize the easiest, most straightforward swap would be a LS/4l60. It seems I never do the easiest, most straightforward approach to basically anything. Sometimes you work with what you have. What I have is a complete drivetrain from a 99 100 series. I have noticed there is not a lot of information on the 4.7 swaps. I thought this might be a help to someone. So this will begin my journey.

I will try and keep this updated as I go, but sometimes life happens.

IMG_20200815_192449.jpg

PXL_20230604_160038534.jpg

20231013_104357.jpg

I wanna see that engine bay SPOTLESS. :flipoff2:

got a couple guys in my club that have 2uz swapped 80's.
this may help you as well

Maybe not spotless, but...Motor mounts made and engine placed. I used the 100 series motor mounts. I did have to cut off the 80 mounting plates as the frame on the 80 is narrower than the 100 and the engine would sit to high. Fabricated some mounts and weld to frame.

20231026_072909.jpg

20231028_095056.jpg

20231028_123508.jpg

20231028_123501.jpg

20231101_180946.jpg

Update on the engine mounts. I had originally decided to use the 100 series engine mounts. I placed the mount brackets in the same location as the 80 with the exception that they were lowered down to get the 4.7 to the correct height I wanted.

Now the update: I was not able to use the 100 mounts as I thought. There are two sets of mounting holes in the block and I opted to use the front set in order to get the front to rear placement I wanted. The mounting holes are not the same width. The front set is wider than the rear (as seen in the pics). I ended up fabricating mounts. I also ended up having to slot the mount brackets in order to get the location pins to drop down on the bracket.

I decided to include this information for people like me who are trial and error type of people:bang:

20231125_122222.jpg

20231126_060027.jpg

20231126_055941.jpg

20231125_122150.jpg

Curious what your rational for the 2UZ... by the numbers it's not much better than the 1FZ, especially the early non-VVti of the early 100's. Same transmission? Does it bolt right up? I understand that you have it, but it's a lot of effort for something that will still be slow

It's super cool either way, the 2UZ is absolutely bullet proof... but it's a dog in the early 100's

Curious what your rational for the 2UZ... by the numbers it's not much better than the 1FZ, especially the early non-VVti of the early 100's. Same transmission? Does it bolt right up? I understand that you have it, but it's a lot of effort for something that will still be slow

It's super cool either way, the 2UZ is absolutely bullet proof... but it's a dog in the early 100's

Fuel economy is probably on par with the 1fzfe too isn't it?
My ex FIL had a cruiser with the 2UZ. I took it on a road trip once and was horrified at the fuel economy when it was pushed to 120km/h

Fuel economy is probably on par with the 1fzfe too isn't it?
My ex FIL had a cruiser with the 2UZ. I took it on a road trip once and was horrified at the fuel economy when it was pushed to 120km/h

I’d say so. OP is in Missouri though, pretty sure gas is still in the $2/gal range there

I must say I am surprised it took this long for this to come up. :)

Well it is an interesting story. I started out with the intention of swapping a 5.3 w/4L60. That is the simplest and most straight forward swap. And yes, I know all the rational of not going that route. The 4.7 does require more thought and the gains are minimal. However as you mentioned it is fairly dependable. And it is still a v8 which just seems to out perform the 6, though maybe not in the torque area. Sometimes you go with what you have, and I do like the idea of staying with Toyota.

I had picked up an abandoned 40 that was in pretty rough shape. I sold the 40 and while in the process of making the sale, he told me about this engine. It was complete with transmission, transfer case, wiring harness and ECU. So we made the swap. Cost wise I have very little invested. The rational then became I can make this swap and other than labor, be out very little. I will use the engine/transmission from the 100 and most likely the transfer case from the 80, as I have already installed the lower gears in it. I also picked up a spare engine from a Tundra at out local pick-n-pull on their half price weekend ($250 w/harness and ecu).

Will it have the horses of a 5.3 or 6.0? No. Will it be a great replacement for the 4.5 that has a blown head gasket? We will see!

And yes to the other question...gas is around $2.70 as I write this and just an FYI our 2002 100 gets 14 around town---16-17 on the highway, that's not much difference than a pickup with the 5.3:meh:

Last edited:
I suspect there is more efficiency available with an aftermarket ecu in both the 1FZ and 2UZ. Granted, an 80 is about as aerodynamic as a brick and just as heavy...

I am sitting on a 4.7V8 from a 2003 4runner right now and plan to do the same swap. I spoke with people who have done the swap and they agree that it is a worthwhile improvement in power. You just can't throw factory number rating out there and form an opinion. Just look at the dyno numbers that people have been recording. 1fz-fe usually produces around 150 hp and 200 torque stock. The 2uz usually dynos around 190-210 hp and 250-275 torque stock. I also think that the power increase is also from the with the addition of running the A750 5 speed trans reducing parasitic loss and with with lower 1st gear and slightly taller 5th gear will also be a welcome improvement. I have researched this swap for a long time and I will be following this thread closely as I will be embarking on the task this next year.

I am sitting on a 4.7V8 from a 2003 4runner right now and plan to do the same swap. I spoke with people who have done the swap and they agree that it is a worthwhile improvement in power. You just can't throw factory number rating out there and form an opinion. Just look at the dyno numbers that people have been recording. 1fz-fe usually produces around 150 hp and 200 torque stock. The 2uz usually dynos around 190-210 hp and 250-275 torque stock. I also think that the power increase is also from the with the addition of running the A750 5 speed trans reducing parasitic loss and with with lower 1st gear and slightly taller 5th gear will also be a welcome improvement. I have researched this swap for a long time and I will be following this thread closely as I will be embarking on the task this next year.

If you're going to run the VVti late model 2UZ with the 5 speed, that makes a lot more sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom