1992 80 Series - Won't Turn Over When Cold - Replaced Cold Start Valve and Thermo Timer Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, I'm a bit stuck. When cold it will take a good two minutes of cranking to get the engine to finally hold a rough idle. After about 30 seconds of sputtering, it will run fine. I replaced the cold start valve and thermo timer switch and the issue did not change. Any ideas? Thanks.

Diesel?
If diesel check glow plugs.
Move to diesel page on this site.
A wee more info would be helpful as model, year location etc.

All, I'm a bit stuck. When cold it will take a good two minutes of cranking to get the engine to finally hold a rough idle. After about 30 seconds of sputtering, it will run fine. I replaced the cold start valve and thermo timer switch and the issue did not change. Any ideas? Thanks.
Either your terminology is wrong or you're replacing the wrong parts.
There is a cold start injector on the left side of the intake manifold. It is controlled by the cold start injector time switch on the upper thermostat housing.

However, I would be looking at the simple things first.
When was the last tune up?
When was the last valve adjustment?
What else have you done to troubleshoot the issue?
Was this fine one day and bad the next?

3FE StatHousing.jpg

If you got Jonheld's attention you are well on your way to getting this resolved. But, you have to follow his "suggestions"...............

Either your terminology is wrong or you're replacing the wrong parts.
There is a cold start injector on the left side of the intake manifold. It is controlled by the cold start injector time switch on the upper thermostat housing.

However, I would be looking at the simple things first.
When was the last tune up?
When was the last valve adjustment?
What else have you done to troubleshoot the issue?
Was this fine one day and bad the next?

View attachment 2640985
Hi,

Thank you for the help. I replaced the Cold Start Injector Time Switch and the Water Temp Sender.

When was the last tune up? - A few months ago when I purchased the vehicle
When was the last valve adjustment? - Unknown. Could you explain how this could affect the issue?
What else have you done to troubleshoot the issue? - Nothing else besides read the forum and talk to Toyota mechanic
Was this fine one day and bad the next? - It is getting progressively worse.

Thank you,

Parker

Hi,

Thank you for the help. I replaced the Cold Start Injector Time Switch and the Water Temp Sender.

When was the last tune up? - A few months ago when I purchased the vehicle
When was the last valve adjustment? - Unknown. Could you explain how this could affect the issue?
What else have you done to troubleshoot the issue? - Nothing else besides read the forum and talk to Toyota mechanic
Was this fine one day and bad the next? - It is getting progressively worse.

Thank you,

Parker
Water temp SENDER is for the dash gauge only. It has no other effect. The water temp SENSOR is for the ECU along with the water temp SWITCH which will control fuel pressure.
Did you remove/inspect/clean the cold start injector? Top left side of intake. Has a banjo bolt and a fuel line. They can become clogged with carbon deposits.
What was done as part of the tune up? OEM parts or auto parts store specials?
Valve adjustment should be done every 15K miles as it's a tractor motor. If you're hasn't been done in 30 years, it might be time. This is a pushrod motor. Valves loosen over time and power will degrade.

The 3FE wants the top half of the motor to be sealed. Any vacuum leak or unmetered air will cause idle issues. Inspect the large intake plenum for cracks/tears at the bellows sections. Very common when lifting the air filter cover.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom