1991 Hzj77 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!
Curious if anyone has swapped the speedometer from kph to mph? I have a 1991 manual hzj77. Not sure what speedo would be compatible with my dash to make it happen...

Hey all!
Curious if anyone has swapped the speedometer from kph to mph? I have a 1991 manual hzj77. Not sure what speedo would be compatible with my dash to make it happen...
An overlay seems to be the preferred route. 😊

Way better, thank you!!

I would go overlay. @FJ73Texas went super deep down this rabbit hole and decided the same.

I learned the hard way. I bought a MPH/KMH speedometer. It bolts right in, but the speed was off by 8mph. The local speedometer shop could not calibrate it (apparently it has 4 magnets vs 2 magnets), so I would need to mail it out. I put the project on the back burner for now.

The overlay I was making was intended for metal face type (sticks on by magnetic force). A 1991 model most likely has the metal face but it appears that sometime in 1993, it went to plastic. The lighting method for the metal face is different as opposed to the plastic face also.

See example below:

mvp speedometer5.JPG

The overlay I was making was intended for metal face type (sticks on by magnetic force). A 1991 model most likely has the metal face but it appears that sometime in 1993, it went to plastic. The lighting method for the metal face is different as opposed to the plastic face also.

See example below:

View attachment 3198676
Are you still making the metal ones?

Are you still making the metal ones?

If he doesn't have any, I might, might have one more of @FJ73Texas first iterations of the overlay. I'll have a nosey over the next couple of days and let you know. I think you can use the pdf in the above thread and print your own on magnetic paper. In any case, it's a very cool , simple, and practical mod.

I would go overlay. @FJ73Texas went super deep down this rabbit hole and decided the same.

I learned the hard way. I bought a MPH/KMH speedometer. It bolts right in, but the speed was off by 8mph. The local speedometer shop could not calibrate it (apparently it has 4 magnets vs 2 magnets), so I would need to mail it out. I put the project on the back burner for now.

Which speedo drive/driven gear are you running in your Tcase? If may be much easier to address at the Tcase than with speedometer modifications.

Which speedo drive/driven gear are you running in your Tcase? If may be much easier to address at the Tcase than with speedometer modifications.
That's a great question and a good idea. Do yall stock some of these if I were to order an assortment?

That's a great question and a good idea. Do yall stock some of these if I were to order an assortment?

The are quite expensive to order as an assortment. But once you know what you have, adjusting the speedometer with gears is a clean way to do it.

I've been meaning to do a dedicated speedo gear thread but basically there are N = 15 thru 19 (or is it 20?) for the driven gear (plastic) and the metal drive gears on teh rear output shaft cover a range, so 6x15-17 and 6x18-20. Unfortunately the 6x18-20 is NLA but there may be a later variant that works. I need to be back in from of my parts computer to really dig into it.

I've been meaning to do a dedicated speedo gear thread but basically there are N = 15 thru 19 (or is it 20?) for the driven gear (plastic) and the metal drive gears on teh rear output shaft cover a range, so 6x15-17 and 6x18-20. Unfortunately the 6x18-20 is NLA but there may be a later variant that works. I need to be back in from of my parts computer to really dig into it.
That would be an incredible thread.

That would be an incredible thread.

For some reason I actually thought I did build a thread at some point. I know I've got a spreadsheet on my computer that I've used to help customers dial in their speedos. It's obviously not super perfected as the jumps can sometimes be too large or if you're already at the extremes of the gears you've got no options.

Hey all!

Some options for you if you want to spend the coin. Two brand new 70 series MPH speedometers. Just have to use a proxy service like buyee.

トヨタ 純正 スピードメーター 83110-90K07 ラン... - ヤフオク! - https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t1082899040

トヨタ 純正 スピードメーター 83110-90K10 ラン... - ヤフオク! - https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l1082905580

Yowza that's expensive!! 🤣 Once I get my tire choice dialed in, I'll probably go the magnet route assuming I can find one

@Sethsquatch1 did you print one of the overlays linked above?

Sometimes I'm forgetful and I never checked if I still had an extra OG @FJ73Texas overlay. As previously stated, you would need the metal speedo face for it to work. The price would be significantly cheaper than the Japan Auction for the really nice OEM metal gauge... just pay shipping and it's yours, that is if I still have one. With the savings you can buy a lot of beer and become forgetful too 🤣 :beer: Mine does not have the T-Belt warning light cut out though...

Here's the link for when I installed the first gen magnetic overlay

@Sethsquatch1 did you print one of the overlays linked above?

Sometimes I'm forgetful and I never checked if I still had an extra OG @FJ73Texas overlay. As previously stated, you would need the metal speedo face for it to work. The price would be significantly cheaper than the Japan Auction for the really nice OEM metal gauge... just pay shipping and it's yours, that is if I still have one. With the savings you can buy a lot of beer and become forgetful too 🤣 :beer: Mine does not have the T-Belt warning light cut out though...

Here's the link for when I installed the first gen magnetic overlay
Yes I would definitely be interested in the magnetic one! How would I know if mine is metal, any easy way to tell through the cover?

Not sure when the change took place from metal to plastic. One number bandied about is 1993, so you "might" be good for the overlay. Best way to tell is to take it apart, which isn't too hard to do, but probably not what you want to do until you have the overlay in hand. As I said, I don't have the TBelt feature on mine, so you will have to modify it for the light. If you don't hear from me in a day or so shoot me a PM for a reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom