1990 Surf 2.4 D with intermittent no power, but idles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering if this is just an injector(s) issue, but as the title says - one minute the truck has power/acceleration and and next it will only just idle. Truck stays running, but under full throttle, nothing.

I don't have a ton of experience with these motors, so looking for some starting points.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
2.4 D, as in diesel?

No cat on a diesel surf.

Is this the 2LTE motor? You might have better luck posting in the diesel or 70 series sections

I could be getting starved of fuel. Check fuel filter, and in-tank filter sock.

Might also be injection pump issues.

Cable ok to the solenoid on top of injector pump? I had a diesel drip from the cold start and this area developed some gunge that was part grounding the solenoid connection, giving similar symptoms.

No cat on a diesel surf.

Is this the 2LTE motor? You might have better luck posting in the diesel or 70 series sections
Yes. Sorry, 2LTE motor. I believe it was moved. :) Was posting via my phone and I suck at that.

I could be getting starved of fuel. Check fuel filter, and in-tank filter sock.

Might also be injection pump issues.

My initial thought was injector pump. Fuel looks good in the truck as I took a sample from the separator. But it honestly "feels" like a fuel issue as it's intermittent. But I think I'll start with filters as those are the easiest/cheapest.

Cable ok to the solenoid on top of injector pump? I had a diesel drip from the cold start and this area developed some gunge that was part grounding the solenoid connection, giving similar symptoms.

The cable moves good on top of the pump all the way to the pedal. Action looks good, etc. I could have a closer look at the solenoid though. Thank you.

Another thought: Maybe pull the ECU codes? Could be a bad sensor? Crank sensor? Ne sensor (in pump)?

Have you bled the system by cracking each injector nut? When I drained my tank to replace the sender I had some weird symptoms where the truck would be revving fine and then all of sudden would barely idle at full throttle.

Have you bled the system by cracking each injector nut? When I drained my tank to replace the sender I had some weird symptoms where the truck would be revving fine and then all of sudden would barely idle at full throttle.

We haven't done anything to it. Ran fine for a day and then it starting doing this - pretty much what you are saying. This could be a good start. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom