Builds 1988 HJ75 Troopy rabbit hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished wiring in the second battery. I'd like to try get the starter battery as clean. I also need to add a switch for the winch.
20230523_203234.jpg

I definitely would not mount anything to the ladder. It's a very thin plate that they use behind the license plate light. I think it'll be fine as a simple handhold to make accessing the roof easier though. Frontrunners ladder seems more sturdy to be honest.
Think the FrontRunner Ladder is stout enough to mount things to? Like a small propane tank or a hi-lift?
Here's a couple pics of the Long Range Automotive fuel tank installed above the driveshaft. Still need to try weld up a basic exhaust to replace the piece that was chopped off.
What's the capacity of that? Did you add a transfer pump to transfer to the main tank?

Think the FrontRunner Ladder is stout enough to mount things to? Like a small propane tank or a hi-lift?

What's the capacity of that? Did you add a transfer pump to transfer to the main tank?
A small propane tank would probably be okay on the lower part. The top part of the troopy door seems too flimsy to support anything.

The tank is 85 litres and has a transfer pump to fill the main tank. Nice and simple.

Last edited:
Haven't posted much in the way of updates on this thread in a while. Troopy is mostly finished with the cabinets that I made months ago finally installed back in. Enjoying the layout so far.
Needs a few tweaks here and there.
One issue I found on our recent 70 series meet is that it seems to like popping out of gear going down hill in low range. I'm going to see if changing the gearbox fluid helps with that. At this point i don't see a huge need to rebuild the whole thing. Any other suggestions?

20230623_110854.jpg
20230620_203328.jpg

For the transfer case it could be as simple as a spring that puts tension on the shift mechanism failing. I did the e-clip trick in the link below on the BJ and solved the 2wd to 4wd shift issues. Seems to be a popular "temporary" fix vs rebuilding.

Just go be clear it's the t-case popping from L to N? Or are you saying the trans will pop into neutral while in low range?

T-case is common on high mileage/worn cases. It's a combination of worn sleeve, fork, shaft, gear, spring. The spring can be shimmed as detailed by @Irish11

Just go be clear it's the t-case popping from L to N? Or are you saying the trans will pop into neutral while in low range?

T-case is common on high mileage/worn cases. It's a combination of worn sleeve, fork, shaft, gear, spring. The spring can be shimmed as detailed by @Irish11
It's the transmission that pops out. Usually from 1st or 2nd into neutral. H55 gearbox.
T case stays in gear properly. This is also under heavy load and steep, bumpy trails.

It's the transmission that pops out. Usually from 1st or 2nd into neutral. H55 gearbox.
T case stays in gear properly. This is also under heavy load and steep, bumpy trails.
Oh man that is a whole different can of worms I think. There are a few H55/Toyota experts on here that I am sure have good input. @orangefj45 and @OGBeno come to mind. They among others are the brain trust haha.

Oh man that is a whole different can of worms I think. There are a few H55/Toyota experts on here that I am sure have good input. @orangefj45 and @OGBeno come to mind. They among others are the brain trust haha.
Luckily it's not critical enough yet to be a huge worry. Still drives and shifts perfectly fine.

The first thing I’d do in your case is to replace the shifter seat and cup. Readily available ( we keep them in stock ) and takes well under 15 minutes.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom