Builds 1988 HJ75 Troopy rabbit hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm having second thoughts on putting the tire on the door. Original plan was to add a plate on both sides of the door skin to spread the load of the oem carrier.
Hi
I can't recommend this. That's what the PO had tried on my rig. It doesn't work. My door skin is all ripped and teared.
The door skin is not plane, so it's hard to get the load picked up from the skin and distributed.
The structure of the doors not designed for spare wheel carrier is not solid enough to stand the momentum of a wheel bouncing around.
As far as I know, in doors designed to carry a spare wheel (SWB models), there is a reinforcement piece that picks up the force and distributes it to the hinges. You either need that or fab something similar to get it right. Maybe worth looking into the door of a SWB to see how it's done by the factory.
Cheers Ralf

Hi
I can't recommend this. That's what the PO had tried on my rig. It doesn't work. My door skin is all ripped and teared.
The door skin is not plane, so it's hard to get the load picked up from the skin and distributed.
The structure of the doors not designed for spare wheel carrier is not solid enough to stand the momentum of a wheel bouncing around.
As far as I know, in doors designed to carry a spare wheel (SWB models), there is a reinforcement piece that picks up the force and distributes it to the hinges. You either need that or fab something similar to get it right. Maybe worth looking into the door of a SWB to see how it's done by the factory.
Cheers Ralf
Yeah, that's what I've found out. Ideally I'd find someone to trade doors with.

Following along for another cool Troopy thread... man that third door would be handy with loading up my kiddos. Would love to see pictures of the sills/jams and how they made that work.

Following along for another cool Troopy thread... man that third door would be handy with loading up my kiddos. Would love to see pictures of the sills/jams and how they made that work.

Here's a couple pics of the door. Planning on freshening it up with all new rubber. Still trying to figure out the window. It looks oem but doesn't match anything on the troopy. Maybe a 60 series?

20220406_181046.jpg

20220406_181028.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't done a whole lot to the troopy lately. Been waiting on some tyres to be in stock and my 80 series blew a coolant overflow hose so we had to fix that first.
I did get some tacoma wheels which I painted gray. Once I put the second coat down however the paint bubbled up so now I'll need to redo them. Here's what they looked like after the first coat though.
Screenshot_20220427-081312_Instagram.jpg

Pretty happy with the colour but I'll need to figure out what caused the bubbling. Probably poor prep. Got way too excited...

Here's the 80 getting it's first taste of what a diesel swap could be like:

20220413_133040.jpg

She's all fixed up now with a fresh hose and new coolant and running well. It's been difficult splitting my time between the 2 especially with work obligations demanding more time.

We did take the troopy out for it's first overnight trip to go do some biking. Did great and got lots of waves from a prius.

20220326_112633.jpg

In terms of exterior modifications it's practically done. Main thing would be changing out the front bumper for one that can hold a winch. Leaning towards 4x4Labs for that. Main order of operations at the moment is to button up the interior and get it mechanically sound.

I wish those tacoma rims fit without spacers as it would alleviate my spare rim situation, wanna sell me one of your 8 spokes?
I believe they do actually fit without spacers. I did a quick spin test with no spacers and they cleared the disk and tie rod end. I have 1.25" just to widen the stance a bit and to clear the new tyres I'm putting on.
I'll gladly sell one of them. Or trade for other parts.

Started pulling out all the redundant wiring in the vehicle. Quite the rats nest behind the panels but luckily all removed easy enough. There are a couple OEM wires that have been spliced where I'll probably re-wire with fresh cable and connections.
20220517_183838.jpg
20220517_183828.jpg

It's good to see that the diff breathers have been extended. I'll be replacing the hose with fuel hose and Toyota breather caps.
Added some money to the piggy bank to help save for parts.
20220517_181018.jpg

Picked up a ladder from Equipt1 in Salt lake to make accessing the roof a little easier. Troopies are tall.

20220509_181456.jpg

I'm still waiting on the wheels from the powdercoater. Once those get some rubber on them we'll take it out for a whirl in the sand dunes.

20220517_183842.jpg

Started pulling out all the redundant wiring in the vehicle. Quite the rats nest behind the panels but luckily all removed easy enough. There are a couple OEM wires that have been spliced where I'll probably re-wire with fresh cable and connections.View attachment 3011782View attachment 3011783
It's good to see that the diff breathers have been extended. I'll be replacing the hose with fuel hose and Toyota breather caps.
Added some money to the piggy bank to help save for parts.
View attachment 3011785

Picked up a ladder from Equipt1 in Salt lake to make accessing the roof a little easier. Troopies are tall.

View attachment 3011787

I'm still waiting on the wheels from the powdercoater. Once those get some rubber on them we'll take it out for a whirl in the sand dunes.

View attachment 3011781
How do you rate that ladder? Does it seem plenty sturdy? The rear part only bolting into those small holes behind the rear license plate lights, has had me wondering…

How do you rate that ladder? Does it seem plenty sturdy? The rear part only bolting into those small holes behind the rear license plate lights, has had me wondering…
I definitely would not mount anything to the ladder. It's a very thin plate that they use behind the license plate light. I think it'll be fine as a simple handhold to make accessing the roof easier though. Frontrunners ladder seems more sturdy to be honest.

Finally got the wheels back from the powdercoater. I'm really liking the OEM look.
20220601_182547.jpg

20220601_182600.jpg

Been working on the floor which has been slow going. Used dry ice to remove the last bit of original sound deadening. I was concerned about one spot of rust visible underneath but once the sound deadening was removed it was just a little surface rust. Next up will be a coat of Por15 to seal the rusty spots in the floor and then a spray in sound deadener from secondskin. I'm trying to minimize the amount of peel and stick style sound deadening on the floor. It only seems to cause problems in the long run.

Finally got the wheels back from the powdercoater. I'm really liking the OEM look.
View attachment 3023243
View attachment 3023245
Been working on the floor which has been slow going. Used dry ice to remove the last bit of original sound deadening. I was concerned about one spot of rust visible underneath but once the sound deadening was removed it was just a little surface rust. Next up will be a coat of Por15 to seal the rusty spots in the floor and then a spray in sound deadener from secondskin. I'm trying to minimize the amount of peel and stick style sound deadening on the floor. It only seems to cause problems in the long run.

Looks killer! Did I miss what size wheels/rim? 16" Tacoma's and 255's?

Looks killer! Did I miss what size wheels/rim? 16" Tacoma's and 255's?
16" tacoma wheel, 255/85r16 tyres and 1.25" spacers. Glad I went with spacers. I don't think the tall tyres would have cleared the rear wheel arches.

16" tacoma wheel, 255/85r16 tyres and 1.25" spacers. Glad I went with spacers. I don't think the tall tyres would have cleared the rear wheel arches.

Looks great on there. I must have a bigger lift than the standard 2.5" OME/Ironman etc as my 255's always look small. Love the color, you have me rethinking my black/grey/white wheel debate lol

Made some progress on the floor. I decided to seal all the small plug holes using fiberglass and then any pinholes from self tapping screws were filled in with fiberglass flakes and paint. Worked out quite well once the paint started to tack up.
20220603_104550.jpg

Also welded in a new patch for this big hole above the transmission.
s***ty welds but better than some of the suggestions about using as a drink holder to keep my coffee warm.

20220603_120324.jpg

20220603_122414.jpg

Tried my best and caulked the rest. Really a pretty low consequence area and a good place to practice my welds since it'll be under the floor.
20220603_124051.jpg

Next step will be spraying in Secondskin sound deadening spray over the floor and wheel wells and then throw the oem mats back in for now. Still trying to decide what to do in that regard.

20220604_202859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom