Builds 1988 HJ75 Troopy rabbit hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally finished up coating the floor. We'll be laying down a heat shield underlay from Secondskins and then Trufit mats over that. Should be nice and snug once it's all in.
The texture of the sound deadening paint is quite interesting. A little rougher than I'd like but i dont think it'll matter once its all in.

20220612_102447.jpg

20220612_130823.jpg

Let me know how much of a difference sound deadening makes. I've got it on my list of mods, but not sure whether I want it or not.

Took a break from interior stuff and installed new shocks and steering dampener.
IMG-20220614-WA0003.jpg

The oil getting soaked up on the ground is from when I punctured the old shock trying to remove it. Bushings were pretty rotted and seized.

Had a hack job wiring removal party the other night and now the car won't start. I'm thinking I cut the wire going to the aftermarket glow plug switch. Going to have to track it down and see what needs to be done to rectify that.

Peeled back a little bit of the headliner and found some rust. Decided to pull the whole thing off to see where we're at. Doesn't actually look as bad as I was expecting.
Getting ready to strip out the seam sealer in the rain gutters and try mitigate as much of that rust as possible.
20220620_200406.jpg

Peeled back a little bit of the headliner and found some rust. Decided to pull the whole thing off to see where we're at. Doesn't actually look as bad as I was expecting.
Getting ready to strip out the seam sealer in the rain gutters and try mitigate as much of that rust as possible.
View attachment 3045272
This all looks so familiar...

Door cards arrived from Australia so we buttoned up the rear area. Still waiting on a couple trim pieces to arrive and then we'll start doing some carpentry.
We have used Havelock wool in some van builds of ours and had good luck with it helping with insulation and not creating any weird odors.
Stuffed it in the sides and rear doors. Still going to add a bit to the passenger and drivers door as well.
Here's a (sort of) before pic:
20220628_182656.jpg

Wool added and some touch up paint:
20220628_191603.jpg

Final product on the door. I'm still going to add a simple fold down table and some L track along the top part of the door.
20220628_192101.jpg

20220628_181834.jpg

I'm still going to clean up and seal some of the holes in this area. Really not too worried about it since there will be a cabinet in this area anyways.
20220628_183805.jpg

Just waiting on the Trufit floor mats and then this part of the project will really start to come together.

Started working on the floor this weekend. Trying to avoid using any screws or bolts going through the floor I decided to glue it down using Sikaflex 221. I used some half inch insulation board between the stringers to help add a base and insulate a little bit. For the floor I used half inch prefinished baltic birch. The cabinets and bench that will end up going in will be bolted into factory holes on the walls so once it's all in it should be plenty strong.
20220708_150021.jpg

20220708_155858.jpg

20220708_183132.jpg

Now the glue just needs to cure and then I'll finish off the corner pieces and then lay the Tru fit floor mat over it all. I spent a lot of time mulling over whether or not to keep the bench seat and in the end I decided to just leave it out of the final build. I'm playing with the idea of having a small jumpseat on the passenger side built into the cabinets. We'll see though. Usually the only 3rd being with us is my 20 pound dog that doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

Started working on the floor this weekend. Trying to avoid using any screws or bolts going through the floor I decided to glue it down using Sikaflex 221. I used some half inch insulation board between the stringers to help add a base and insulate a little bit. For the floor I used half inch prefinished baltic birch. The cabinets and bench that will end up going in will be bolted into factory holes on the walls so once it's all in it should be plenty strong.
View attachment 3056147
View attachment 3056148
View attachment 3056146
Now the glue just needs to cure and then I'll finish off the corner pieces and then lay the Tru fit floor mat over it all. I spent a lot of time mulling over whether or not to keep the bench seat and in the end I decided to just leave it out of the final build. I'm playing with the idea of having a small jumpseat on the passenger side built into the cabinets. We'll see though. Usually the only 3rd being with us is my 20 pound dog that doesn't take up a whole lot of space.
Am I alone on this I love the front bench. Would some scheelmans be better sure but I love the classiness of the bench

I would not add wool into doors. Moisture and rust magnet.

I would not add wool into doors. Moisture and rust magnet.
The wool we used is supposed to be naturally hydroscopic and is pretty common in the van building community. I have not seen any rust issues with using the same wood in other vehicle builds of ours.
We ended up not putting any wool in the front doors as it would interfere with the window mechanism.

Am I alone on this I love the front bench. Would some scheelmans be better sure but I love the classiness of the bench
I'm keeping the front bench. I won't be upgrading the front seats. I was talking about the second row of seating that the vehicle came with.

I'm keeping the front bench. I won't be upgrading the front seats. I was talking about the second row of seating that the vehicle came with.
Oh I know just stating a fact on how cool they are

I tend to go a little overboard sometimes when I get stuck into a project. After an attempt at cleaning up my rain gutters I decided to cut the roof off and install a poptop roof. This allowed me to get proper access to the hard to reach areas. There was a fair bit of rust beginning to form especially with the 3rd door. This has now all been cleaned up and rust proofed. Should extend it's life a little longer.
Considering all the extra prep work I wanted to do I decided to install it myself. The job is not hard to do. Hardest part really is all the painting.
20220715_190752.jpg

20220715_200852.jpg

20220715_200731.jpg

20220717_105221.jpg

Just waiting on a couple trim pieces to arrive and then I'll finish up painting the rain gutters. Once all that is done I'll drop the roof on and pull it out of the garage for the first time in months.

Just waiting on a couple trim pieces to arrive and then I'll finish up painting the rain gutters. Once all that is done I'll drop the roof on and pull it out of the garage for the first time in months.
stop making me want one. You're a bad influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom