Builds 1988 HJ75 Troopy rabbit hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i went back and forth on a pop top for mine,,, it might still happen one day, but for now anyway i dont want to change the roofline, its a big part of why i like the troopy so much, besides i have on one on the other rig and thats the travel with the wife rig, the troopy is my play toy, mostly a solo rig.

p.s. havent forgotten about my wheel, i'll prolly pick it up when i go visit my folks on Montana, or if you want it gone sooner i'll have my son pick it up, he plans to be there end of the month permanently

i went back and forth on a pop top for mine,,, it might still happen one day, but for now anyway i dont want to change the roofline, its a big part of why i like the troopy so much, besides i have on one on the other rig and thats the travel with the wife rig, the troopy is my play toy, mostly a solo rig.

p.s. havent forgotten about my wheel, i'll prolly pick it up when i go visit my folks on Montana, or if you want it gone sooner i'll have my son pick it up, he plans to be there end of the month permanently
Yeah, I wasn't originally planning on doing a poptop. Rust removal in the rain gutters got too involved and the roof rack was just speeding up the rust progression.

I'll have the wheel for whenever you're ready. Just shoot me a message.

Finally have a couple updates worth posting on here. We added a Quickpitch traction board carrier/table. This should help with making convenient surface space as well as a handy spot to stow the maxtrax. Really didn't want them on the roof.
20220909_160524.jpg

20220909_162457.jpg

Another thing we added is a dual battery tray for the engine bay. I was originally planning on a single battery in front and then an aux battery in the back but doing it this way should free up some space in the back. Our power needs really aren't to big. Just a fridge and camping lights/charging.

20220823_200113.jpg

Door cards arrived from Australia so we buttoned up the rear area. Still waiting on a couple trim pieces to arrive and then we'll start doing some carpentry.
We have used Havelock wool in some van builds of ours and had good luck with it helping with insulation and not creating any weird odors.
Stuffed it in the sides and rear doors. Still going to add a bit to the passenger and drivers door as well.
Here's a (sort of) before pic:
View attachment 3045728
Wool added and some touch up paint:
View attachment 3045729
Final product on the door. I'm still going to add a simple fold down table and some L track along the top part of the door.
View attachment 3045730
View attachment 3045731
I'm still going to clean up and seal some of the holes in this area. Really not too worried about it since there will be a cabinet in this area anyways.
View attachment 3045732
Just waiting on the Trufit floor mats and then this part of the project will really start to come together.
If moisture can get in where you have put the fiberglass insulation, it will rust. I would assess the likelihood of moisture. I have seen big issues where this was missed.

If moisture can get in where you have put the fiberglass insulation, it will rust. I would assess the likelihood of moisture. I have seen big issues where this was missed.
It's not fiberglass insulation. It's wool which is supposed to be effective at managing moisture inside the space.
We used Havelock wool which is prepared specifically for use in vans

Made some headway on the interior setup. As usual nothing finished just yet.
Decided against using any drawers and I'll be using bags instead. This will save some weight and less to break. 14 gallon water tank will be housed underneath the bench.
I'm leaning towards bed lining the cabinets with either a gray or khaki tint. Either that or carpeting.
20221002_112748.jpg

20221002_162510.jpg

I think the best thing about using bags, or something similarly temporary, is that you can change the setup depending on your experiences. Honestly all you need to camp is the space for it. Everything else is luxury. Of course, some things save you time but you can figure that out step-by-step and dial down the unnecessary complications.
I'm sure you'll find your own way!

Finally have some updates worth adding to this thread.
Installed a shackle flip kit to help gain some clearance and give us some more down travel on the shocks that were pretty much maxed out.
20221104_173540.jpg

Way less stuff to get snagged on rocks.
Also installed a set of clearview mirrors. Turned out to be a bit of a nightmare since the stick they have in the US is all intended for left hand drive vehicles. Mine is obviously right hand drive. They don't state anywhere on their website that this is a consideration. Anyways. Working with them at the moment to see if we can get that rectified. They're still usable just not as optimal as I'd like. We have a hobie cat that I intend to tow with the troopy and having the extra view will be nice.
20221104_173705.jpg

20221104_173716.jpg

Another significant upgrade is the Cruiser Outfitters rear bumper. Out of all the options on the market I'm convinced that the is the most well thought out, clean option for a 70 series. They also happen to be local so it made the most sense to me. Solves a couple storage issues.
That's about it for now. Troopy is in the garage for the next month to get the last few things squared away before we head south the escape the cold for a bit.

She looks great! I looked on Cruiser Outfitters for that bumper, but I couldn't find it. (I am extraordinarily stupid, that might be the problem.) Can you post a link or something?

She looks great! I looked on Cruiser Outfitters for that bumper, but I couldn't find it. (I am extraordinarily stupid, that might be the problem.) Can you post a link or something?

Details here on Mud 😎

I recently dropped the troopy off to get some things wrapped up while I'm away for work. A couple days before I left this HZJ73 popped up for sale in Oregon. A quick 22 hour drive later and I got it home safely.
This will mostly be my partners rig.
Honestly I've been missing having a dedicated wheeling vehicle and this one fits in perfectly with a rear locker and 35s. Won't really need to do much else to it.
Except for a steering wheel.

20230413_153459.jpg

20230413_185155.jpg

I've been making some headway on the troopy. Now that the fuel tank is in I'm able to start bolting stuff down to the floor. (The fuel tank bolts to the body of the vehicle)
20230516_192500.jpg

20230516_192544.jpg

I added Expedyion Ones scepter can carriers on the back. This will free up space inside that was originally intended for water. I'm still toying with the idea of adding a water tank in the old spare tyre location.
20230516_151107.jpg

The floor is just some vinyl coin flooring I found at home depot.

20230516_155207.jpg

Installed a 12k pound Sherpa winch on the new bar. Also added my Ham antenna and old lights that came off the 80. Both batteries in the front seem to be on their way out so I've ordered an Odyssey battery to use in the auxiliary spot. I haven't really decided how I'd like to wire up the winch. I'm thinking of having it switched off the 4x4Spod and a solenoid.
20230510_194154.jpg

20230510_210759.jpg

A little camping weekend to iron out the setup. The 73 doesn't need much and has been filling the parts run duty very well. Much easier when I can run in to the parts store with the same vehicle parked outside to see if things will fit.
View attachment 3325126
I like the Alu-Box mounted like that! Did it work out good in practice? Interior looks good too.

I like the Alu-Box mounted like that! Did it work out good in practice? Interior looks good too.
I liked having it there. Was very handy for things needed while on the trail like basic tools and air up stuff.
I think I prefer having my water stored there however. We'll see how it goes in the long run.

Here's a couple pics of the Long Range Automotive fuel tank installed above the driveshaft. Still need to try weld up a basic exhaust to replace the piece that was chopped off.
20230519_163016.jpg

20230519_163024.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom