1988 "Build" Thread

I've had several LC's over the years, but I have always loved the mini-trucks. So,I recently bought a pair. LOL

The first one I bought was this 1988 regular cab, long-bed, manual. Overall, it's in pretty great shape. It had a lot of engine work completed before it got to me, so that will make my life easier, hence the "build". In all honesty, this one has a pretty short list. After that, I may move it on down the line, but who knows.

I've kind of broken down the game plan into a couple of areas.

Exterior: Overall, she's a pretty nice truck. I'm hoping the bulk of the paint will buff out and develop a healthy sheen.
  • Paint: Like I said ... I'm hoping it will be able to be buffed out.
  • Decals: These things are faded. Ideally, I'll have them removed during the buffing and then reapplied.
  • Dents/Dings: They're more a nuisance than anything, but would like to have them removed.
  • Side Mirrors: They're cracked and broken. Going to replace with black models.
Interior: Overall, it's in good shape, but needs some work.
  • Dash Pad: I've seen much worse, this one has a crack. I'm hoping to find a replacement, but have a feeling I will have to figure out a repair plan.
  • Stereo: I'd kill myself driving around without tunes. LOL
  • Rearview Mirror: Replace.
  • Shift Knobs: Replace.
  • Visors: Replace. I was able to order these from Toyota, so we shall see.
Mechanical/Misc Items: A few things that really don't need to happen, but I'm doing anyways.
  • 22RE Sticker: I know it's silly, but it's also crazy to me that someone did all this engine work, but didn't replace the valve cover sticker.
  • Shift Bushings: Those things flop around like a limp ... Need to fix that.
  • AC Blower: The switch doesn't work on HI and the other settings feel like a dog breathing on you. Getting fixed.
I have a few other things I am contemplating, but given the fact that this one will likely be sold, I don't want to go crazy. I'll post some pictures of the suspension, but something doesn't look right. I would love to do some kind of restoration on the camper shell, but I have no idea where to start. I'll do a few things that bug me (like the 22RE sticker), like the gas cap, air filter, and radiator cap.

Here's the only picture I have at the moment, but will get more this weekend!

1988 Toy Day 1.JPG

That's a CLEAN looking truck. Buffed out? Man you should see what the hot AZ sun does to paint and interiors here. I like both of your trucks.

It's a pipe dream. LOL I'm just hoping it doesn't require a full respray.

Can anyone help me identify these springs? Is that an "add-a-leaf" under the stock springs?

1988 Suspension 1.jpg

Can anyone help me identify these springs? Is that an "add-a-leaf" under the stock springs?

View attachment 3015137
Probably an add-on. I've never seen a spring like that on any mini I've owned (lost count) or worked on. Here's my '88:
IMG_3178.jpg

brettk

SILVER Star
For your AC, you need a blower motor resistor 88635-89103. Double check that number with your local parts department, there was a couple of variations if I remember right. Real easy to replace.

For the shifter bushings, it’s a little more money than just the plastic bushings, but LCE makes a short throw shifter than I’ve really liked on my pickup. Depends on what transmission you have on though, so find that out first.

As for the rear view mirror, I have a spare one you can have, just pay shipping. It came out of an 89 pickup, which is the newer body style, but it *should* fit. I’ll let others more experienced than myself chime in on that. It is grey, so you’re not going to hurt my feelings if you want to hold out for a blue one.

1653746985151.jpeg

For your AC, you need a blower motor resistor 88635-89103. Double check that number with your local parts department, there was a couple of variations if I remember right. Real easy to replace.

For the shifter bushings, it’s a little more money than just the plastic bushings, but LCE makes a short throw shifter than I’ve really liked on my pickup. Depends on what transmission you have on though, so find that out first.

As for the rear view mirror, I have a spare one you can have, just pay shipping. It came out of an 89 pickup, which is the newer body style, but it *should* fit. I’ll let others more experienced than myself chime in on that. It is grey, so you’re not going to hurt my feelings if you want to hold out for a blue one.

View attachment 3019809
Thanks for sharing! I ordered a resistor from 22RE Performance. I also ordered a switch, just in case.

Can the bushings and shift kit be installed without removing the transmission? How do I figure out which transmission I have?

Thanks for the offer on the mirror. I may take you upon that.

brettk

SILVER Star
Thanks for sharing! I ordered a resistor from 22RE Performance. I also ordered a switch, just in case.

Can the bushings and shift kit be installed without removing the transmission? How do I figure out which transmission I have?

Thanks for the offer on the mirror. I may take you upon that.
You’re welcome! Shoot me a PM for the mirror.

As far as the shifter bushings, no need to drop the trans, just have to take the center console out to access the top of the transmission. I went off a YouTube video. Fairly easy Saturday morning Project. This *should* be the one for you, but they don’t take returns, so measure the bolt patterns before you place an order.

How do I figure out which transmission I have?
Marlin has a lot of info on the trans.
Transmission Gear Ratio Chart | Marlin Crawler, Inc. - https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transmission/transmission-gear-ratio-chart

Should be a W56-B (Marlin's classification system, but it seems to be in common use). I have the same trans and looked into short-throw shifters too since I have a one inch body lift and shifters clash with body flex in low range. Not dissing the LCE offering, just saying Marlin has an alternative. Lots more money, but I like the approach better. Perhaps not that much better ... Anyway, pays your money .... See 4-Crawler for short-throw kits for transfer case.
Short Throw Transfer Case Shifter - https://www.4crawler.com/4x4///ForSale/ShortThrowShifter.shtml

It's been awhile since posted. I've been between projects (old house additions, new house remodel, buying a business, etc.), but wanted to provide an update. I needed to move this to the new house. Unfortunately, the starter was locked up after sitting for a few months. A new starter and she was ready to rock, but got me thinking about the next steps. Do I do a simple lift, tires, gears build? Do I do a quick refurb and sell it? Add a custom camper top (like AT Overland or GFC) with a high end lift and tires? Either way, I really like the truck and want to give it new life before I move it down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom