Builds 1988 BJ74 “Number 1” (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will be installing a garrett 22x turbo on my 12ht at some point. Far superior to the CT26 turbos IMO. I pushed my CT to the limits last summer (14-17psi) and ended up smoking it on the way back from SAS in Ouray. One was designed in the 80s, the other in the 2000s... Shawn's rig has the right amount of pep, still going to see if I can get a little more fuel to it by tweaking the pump timing.
That’s kind of what I hear.
Go gt2052 or gt2252 not sure which would be best for the 13bt.

they are pretty easy to find new and don’t seem too pricey.

Just an errand or 2 with a buddy.

E91585A6-93B1-4767-8113-2B0133094DE7.jpeg

What is your verdict on the radiator repair?

All good?

I think it’s good. I haven’t really got to test it hard or stress it so it’s hard to tell. It’s cool, it doesn’t leak so I think it’s doing what it’s supposed to do.

I have a few other projects on the way from overseas for the cruiser I’ll update once they get here. One of them I’ve been waiting awhile for.

I think it’s good. I haven’t really got to test it hard or stress it so it’s hard to tell. It’s cool, it doesn’t leak so I think it’s doing what it’s supposed to do.

I have a few other projects on the way from overseas for the cruiser I’ll update once they get here. One of them I’ve been waiting awhile for.

Tell me more...

That’s kind of what I hear.
Go gt2052 or gt2252 not sure which would be best for the 13bt.

they are pretty easy to find new and don’t seem too pricey.
22 series for sure. In a 13bt that would be perfect for low- midrange. 20 series would yeild insane torque off of the punch, but would choke out on the highway. Don't quote me, but I believe the 13b and 12h exhaust manifolds are very similar, I could make a small batch of stock to t25 flange adapters if there is enough interest.

22 series for sure. In a 13bt that would be perfect for low- midrange. 20 series would yeild insane torque off of the punch, but would choke out on the highway. Don't quote me, but I believe the 13b and 12h exhaust manifolds are very similar, I could make a small batch of stock to t25 flange adapters if there is enough interest.
Awesome, my guess is the mounting flanges are identical on the 12ht and 13bt. It’s always been said that the 12ht and 13bt use the same turbo which is why it sucks for the 13bt. Way too big.

I have have no way to confirm they are the same, but I’m sure we could measure. I’d be interested in an adapter for sure.
The exhaust will be a different mount as well. How did you handle that?

I suppose I need to rabbit hole the 22 series now.

I’d be interested in adapters for 13BT too.

Awesome, my guess is the mounting flanges are identical on the 12ht and 13bt. It’s always been said that the 12ht and 13bt use the same turbo which is why it sucks for the 13bt. Way too big.

I have have no way to confirm they are the same, but I’m sure we could measure. I’d be interested in an adapter for sure.
The exhaust will be a different mount as well. How did you handle that?

I suppose I need to rabbit hole the 22 series now.

Right, I just have never personally had my hands on a 13bt, more so interested in how the turbo mounts to the manifold.. Would a spacer say thicker than 2" cause clearance issues for the brake booster, shock towers, inner fenders, etc...? A new downpipe would have to be fabbed and could be tied into the existing exhaust. Then you have supply & return oil lines, which is solved using AN lines and adapters going into the original ports on the block. Supply on the garrets does not require a restrictor which is nice. No coolant ports which simplifies things as well. Check out Turbos Direct out of Glendale, AZ. They have good pricing and usually have plenty of turbos in stock.

Right, I just have never personally had my hands on a 13bt, more so interested in how the turbo mounts to the manifold.. Would a spacer say thicker than 2" cause clearance issues for the brake booster, shock towers, inner fenders, etc...? A new downpipe would have to be fabbed and could be tied into the existing exhaust. Then you have supply & return oil lines, which is solved using AN lines and adapters going into the original ports on the block. Supply on the garrets does not require a restrictor which is nice. No coolant ports which simplifies things as well. Check out Turbos Direct out of Glendale, AZ. They have good pricing and usually have plenty of turbos in stock.

good info. I’ll check with turbos direct.

here’s a few pictures, maybe soon @PabloCruise and I can head over and you can take a look.

927676DF-0293-4CAD-88D2-AE3388FD97A4.jpeg
15140E18-1C5F-4BA5-9FBF-E7F727267412.jpeg

So now just waiting to pass you in the slow lane, with a marginally faster cruiser.
I'm both old and drive a diesel Land Cruiser so I'm doubly slow. 😀

13BT turbo swap post coming very soon (25-26) if anybody is interested. Got all the lines and AN fittings/adapters figured out and will post very detailed notes and pictures and part numbers, etc. Obviously based off a kit but will be a good resource I hope.

13BT turbo swap post coming very soon (25-26) if anybody is interested. Got all the lines and AN fittings/adapters figured out and will post very detailed notes and pictures and part numbers, etc. Obviously based off a kit but will be a good resource I hope.

will be nice to see. I’m heading that direction, Garrett that is.

I am going through this now! I went ahead and went for an aluminum unit after hearing from others who have had good luck with them. I foundshop that will recore but it would take a while and I need to get this handled before it pops... I daily drive this thing so I can't wait.

It's funny I've had several radiators recored but it's been more than 10 years now, and it's really difficult to find someone who can do it.

I'll probably have mine recored anyway and either swap it back in at some point or sell it.

I am going through this now! I went ahead and went for an aluminum unit after hearing from others who have had good luck with them. I foundshop that will recore but it would take a while and I need to get this handled before it pops... I daily drive this thing so I can't wait.

It's funny I've had several radiators recored but it's been more than 10 years now, and it's really difficult to find someone who can do it.

I'll probably have mine recored anyway and either swap it back in at some point or sell it.

Yep, I daily drive as well but at least have spare vehicles. I went ahead and recored with that 4 core and so far so good.
I had heard way too many mixed reviews on aluminum, except for Ron Davis and they quoted like $1,500 I believe. Personally i would use that aluminum one temporarily and get yours recored them put it back in..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom