Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG

My trip to BC and Alaska was absolutely amazing, and if you guys are interested enough I could do a full write up/photo thread in the "trips" section.

This trip just really reminded me that even though I spend a TON of time working on my truck, and its never truly "ready", getting out and going on an adventure is what its all about. Before this trip my passion had faded a bit when it came to really tooling on my truck, and now that its over I have SO much renewed enthusiasm.

I have big things in the works for my FJ40, and I think you guys are going to really dig it. Im hoping to crack into it this summer.

PS: If you guys want more pics, I literally have hundreds. I tried to keep it all LC related this time.

My trip to BC and Alaska was absolutely amazing, and if you guys are interested enough I could do a full write up/photo thread in the "trips" section.

This trip just really reminded me that even though I spend a TON of time working on my truck, and its never truly "ready", getting out and going on an adventure is what its all about. Before this trip my passion had faded a bit when it came to really tooling on my truck, and now that its over I have SO much renewed enthusiasm.

I have big things in the works for my FJ40, and I think you guys are going to really dig it. Im hoping to crack into it this summer.

PS: If you guys want more pics, I literally have hundreds. I tried to keep it all LC related this time.
WOW! What a trip, would love to read and see the pictures. Thank you for sharing

X3, super interested in a trip report!

Awesome write up. Great job on everything. Trip looks like it was great. That sunset pic might even beat a sunset at usal. I bought my cruiser from Gary hell of a guy. Don't forget the magic!!!

Here is a quick shot of (most) of the fleet. Im not sure when a "collection" becomes a problem? But my family proudly owns seven land cruisers....

69 FJ40
85 FJ60: Red
87 FJ60: Tan (My dad bought it new in 87)
87 H-FJ60: Red (Mine)
93 FJ80
2009 FX470
2013 Toyota 200 Series LC

Someday I will assemble the entire fleet for your viewing pleasure haha
fullsizeoutput_cda.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_c16.jpeg

Wow!! Awesome bro! I didn't even recognize you Will, glad to see someone like you take on a trip like this while you are still young and
be able to enjoy what Mother Nature has in store for us. This is one trip on my bucket list maybe we can plan another one in the near future
with other guys and gals. Good to hear that you will get started on the 40 soon and I would love to hear stories and more pics of your adventure.

Brief update: Cruiser is running great.
Took the 60 up to Mammoth for a ski trip and wound up pulling out a ton of people after the snow storm. The maxtrax were incredibly helpful.

My BFG AT-KO's are absolutely terrible in snow and ice. If my rig even looks at a little icy patch it spins out. Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe she is too a$$ heavy?

fullsizeoutput_cf3.jpeg

Finally came up with a really solid solution to keep my inverter clean and cool. Hooked up the original carb fan to ignition, then my friends Chris and Phillip designed and 3D printed me a ducting system for the waterproof box.
The whole system is pretty much water proof unless you somehow submerge the entire engine bay. I feel a lot more comfortable hosing down the engine bay and running through creeks now.
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5609.JPG
IMG_5616.JPG
IMG_5618.JPG

PRO TIP: Be careful with your speedo in freezing temperatures. I must have had condensation or some water in mine.
When I was in southern BC, early one frosty morning when we left camp, the speedo made a terrible grinding sound above 5mph and the needle just went nuts, fully pinned at 100mph. The problem happened again this year on my ski trip, but i wasnt able to slow down before the needle broke and the indicator just kept spinning at an outrageous rate.

I have since replaced the speedo entirely, and hope the new one doesnt have the same problem. If anyone has had this issue let me know. Is it a lubrication issue? Speedo cable problem? Water intrusion somewhere?

Brief update: Cruiser is running great.
Took the 60 up to Mammoth for a ski trip and wound up pulling out a ton of people after the snow storm. The maxtrax were incredibly helpful.

My BFG AT-KO's are absolutely terrible in snow and ice. If my rig even looks at a little icy patch it spins out. Does anyone else have this issue? Maybe she is too a$$ heavy?

View attachment 1970723

I had those tires on my 60 and the same thing, scary as hell on ice and snow! I have Wrangler Duratracs on mine and they work really good in snow! Next, I will probably get BFG KO2's they are not as soft so they last longer plus they still do great in snow! Hope that helps :beer: Also jealous you got to go ski at Mammoth, their park is still in great shape for being this late in the season. I'm in Big Bear Lake right now and there is no snow at all but the mountain bike trails are great right now!

I built a water system version 2!
This system is easily removable, cleanable, potable, pressurized, and fillable. Everything about this system is far superior to my previous system. To avoid double posting, Ill leave you with a link so you can see it from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom