Build 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Member Builds and Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took a trip to Colorado

I can safely say that the kitchen is getting very very dialed.
fullsizeoutput_eac.webp


IMG_6137.webp


IMG_6773.webp


IMG_6775.webp


IMG_6146.webp
 
Filtered, hot, high pressure water system is a huge upgrade. I use it for showers and camp duties. Stows away or deploys in about 7 seconds. Its also removable for winter.

D63AB69C-F1A0-4DF9-8E04-29BB48A26E9E.webp


36A5CB5B-7785-4401-A8F3-9ED077F53EC5.webp


546FBEC2-BE76-49AE-BD86-AE7799D37BAA.webp


92CB46C2-8185-4D0B-911C-8FE5490F87CF.webp
 
what roof rack are you running? Looks pretty nice
It’s a full length Baja rack. I’ve been very happy with it. The front third is enclosed. It protects my solar panel nicely. Highly recommend
 
136C1CA5-1EE5-423F-BC19-0E1FEA73CF40.webp
47DE1A38-13B5-418A-BF7C-900720CEF728.webp
0B64C25E-9252-4FD1-88AB-203A8AFAF87B.webp
Hi Will
This is an inspirational informative build
You have a lot of great ideas.
Could you please show the 3rd battery mount underneath
I’ve got mine in a section of the drawers but it’s not a great use of space
I took a photo of mine underneath to show space doesn’t seem big enough
Regards Alex
 
Hi Will
This is an inspirational informative build
You have a lot of great ideas.
Could you please show the 3rd battery mount underneath
I’ve got mine in a section of the drawers but it’s not a great use of space
I took a photo of mine underneath to show space doesn’t seem big enough
Regards Alex

Thanks for the kind words Alex. I built a mount that seats the battery up under the rear quarter panel on the drivers side. It looks from the photo that your exhaust would be in the way. To find the spot, just get under the car and find the driverside frame rail at the back, then find the big open spot between the body and the frame. It was plenty large to fit a full size battery. Also, its flush with the frame, so theres no risk of smashing it on rocks or anything. If the battery takes damage, then youve done something really bad to your car. Hope the pic helps, sorry its all I have right now. The black diamond plate is actually rubber matting to protect the battery from the steel mount.

IMG_3326.webp


IMG_3327.webp
 
Would that be a G31 battery? Im looking at adding a third battery.... thus my asking....
My exhaust dumps under the pass side rear door...
Thanks for the pic...
Its an interstate deep-cycle marine battery. Unsure of the PN. I used it because it had the posts on the side instead of the top, thus I could secure the leads with nuts, and I didnt have any risk of contact with the underside of the body. Basically the battery fits within half an inch of the body on top and sides, while the posts are easily accessible. Its a good system. The only downside is that it actually gave the vehicle a noticeable amount of lean to the drivers side. The jerry can carrier balanced it out eventually, but without it, parked on level terrain you could see some driver-side angle.
 
My oh MY it has been a while.
A few things have changed with the 60. But for now, some pics of my birthday toyota trip (and my custom chainsaw/water can/propane tank holder system on its first trip)

IMG_0093.webp
IMG_0045.webp
Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 11.31.53 AM.webp
 
wowow....super fantastic thread!!! MANY kudos for being so inclined to do all the work you've done. Most excellent! Thanks for sharing.
 
Hi everyone! My 60 build has slowed down a bit. But if you want to keep up with my FJ40 12HT, axle, locker, and frame-off build, here is a link!

 
Took the rig on a quick trip to the sierras to do some climbing/skiing before the last of the snow melted out. She drives so well I should really take it out more. I've been using it for work to get me to/from the forests for my timber surveys recently. Love this truck.

IMG_9402.webp


IMG_9398.webp


IMG_9390.webp


IMG_9371.webp
 
Well. Life moves fast.
I got married, left California, and moved to New Mexico.

My beloved rigs are back in CA, and I need to choose which to bring to NM, and which to leave behind.

The 60 is good to go. It has some things I'd like to change (eliminate the 24V system, add a leaf spring in the rear, the roof is rusting, clean up the solar system and make it reliable etc).

The 40 is a project. Its the best work I've done, but it needs some finishing touches. It needs AC, seals, and some work before its a solid rig.

I am torn by indecision. Old Faithful, or the fun new project.... I won't be selling; whichever doesn't make the cut will be stored in CA until my return, but it'll be on the shelf for 2-4 years.

Thoughts appreciated.

IMG_1875.webp


IMG_0093.webp


IMG_9958.webp


IMG_9414.webp
 
If it's going to be your only vehicle I'd go with the 60. It's an overall more useful truck. I've hauled much more and bigger things in mine vs my first gen 4runner.

Comfort is may also be a factor, now that you are married. It's easier to fit more people and gear in the 60.

What other vehicles will you and your spouse have out there?

CPSLO is an awesome school.
 
Last edited:
My daily is a 2019 tacoma.

I need to decide what my "adventure and project rig" is going to be.....

IMG_0280.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom