1985 XtraCab Build - Need help picking lift and tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy, Newbie here

Just brought home a 1985 xtra cab - stoked on it!
Windshield had a sun cover on it for years so the dash is in great condition and only some minimal body rust. Bought from the original owner!

I’m looking to restore close to the last attached photo - I want to lift it to a similar height, not too much, I assume something like a 2”?
Mostly using this truck as a daily so don't really want to shell out for a super high performance lift, but also obviously want quality.
If anyone has reccomendations for something close or can ID the tire in that photo please let me know 🙏

Also looking for:

- the drivers side door pillar black detail trim piece. Took these pics before I lost it. Unfortunately on the 2hr drive home I must have hit a speed bump or something and it knocked out of place, it was gone by the time I parked 😕
- Chrome side mirrors
- chrome or black roll bar like in last photo

04BC46EA-ECA8-46EB-B9BB-40E9CF128E63.png

F1FF83BA-75F5-4E5B-8D29-D465FA5C16CF.jpeg

023F5A6B-93CA-49A5-B3E5-FE166C120BCC.jpeg

400A5F64-879E-43BD-9DF2-A7E47589D617.jpeg

Nice score and welcome to the forum. The last pic looks like a 4x4. Looks like BFG All Terrain tires on chrome modular steel wheels.

I have no experience lifting a 2wd truck so nothing to offer there. Good luck with your build/mods.

Nice score and welcome to the forum. The last pic looks like a 4x4. Looks like BFG All Terrain tires on chrome modular steel wheels.

I have no experience lifting a 2wd truck so nothing to offer there. Good luck with your build/mods.
Thanks!
Yea I wish i found a 4x4 but couldn’t pass up the price and milage on this one. Cheers

You should be able to do something lift wise. Ya, the second pic is a 4x4. You can tell by the fenders. I suspect you can can crank up the t-bars for a little lift in the front. As I recall 2WD trucks are spring-under-axle in the back. 4WD trucks are spring-over-axle. Not sure what that means for your goal, but tossing that out there.

Geez, where are my manors ... welcome to our slice of MUD :flipoff2: <- official MUD welcome.

Welcome welcome. My vote is to just throw an axle under it and have an awesome little runabout truck. 2wd I built years ago on 80 series axles.
Screenshot_20230112_174836_Instagram.jpg

Yup, do an SAS, swap in a manual tranny with a transfer case on the back and weld new perches on top of the rear axle and your in business.

I would just change out the frame,

To what? The 2wd frame is actually better if you are going to SAS it. And the '84 - '85 4x4 frames are harder to come by. I would SAS what he has and swap the fenders / grille if he wanted to. Otherwise, SAS 2wd trucks are one of the best ways to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom