1985 FJ60 Daily Driver Build - Betty the FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking for a couple of months and recently picked up a friends 1985 FJ60 two weeks ago. The car has had 3 owners and it is currently sitting at 107K original miles with a substantial service history. Mechanically she is perfect - just needs some TLC on the interior and some minor rust repair. I'm really looking forward to learning more about the cars and being a part of the IH8MUD community..

Car is going to be my daily and expect to put around ~5k a year on her. My wife named her Betty the FJ - previously drove Rhonda the Honda so she's a big upgrade :)

Would love some input into how to deal with the rust issues you see pictured above as well!

Objective is to not go overboard with the build and I've sourced all of the below parts for around ~$1500

• New custom carpet kit & sound deadening across entire interior- previous owner cleaned the carpet with a chemical that dyed the carpet yellow :(
  • Tuffy Charcoal Center Console w/ lock
  • Newer bluetooth Head unit
  • Dapper OE7 LED Headlights
  • Custom side-steps to match the ARB Bumper
I've also begun checking the local craigslist, Facebook FJ60 group and now IH8MUDD for the below OEM parts which I'd like to replace at some point:

• Front Seat Belt receivers
  • Rear Seat belts
  • OEM FJ62/OZ Style Mirrors
  • Drivers Side Lower side valence chrome strip
  • OEM Chrome wheels (will probably swap + sell the current wheel/tires)

Look forward to sharing more as Betty comes together!

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0827.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

IMG_0835.jpeg

IMG_0836.jpeg

Welcome to MUD! I'll let someone else post the official "salute", haven't tried to figure that out yet. What's the production month? If it's after 4/85 it has what's needed for a direct 5-speed (H55f) swap, in case you ever get the itch to spend some more $$$.

Truck looks 👍.

While there are more comprehensive rust repair threads, mine will show you how the roof is structured. It looks like yours was painted over at one time. It’s a task, but plenty of these guys have under taken it admirably.

Welcome to the madness. So whats the story with the front spring "shackles". Photo looks like someone took a set of rear spring mounts and welded them to the front of the truck in an effort to 'lift' it? Are those bolted on or welded? Or am I totally seeing things there? Is the rear the same?

Looks like a shackle reversal kit to me.

Welcome to the madness. So whats the story with the front spring "shackles". Photo looks like someone took a set of rear spring mounts and welded them to the front of the truck in an effort to 'lift' it? Are those bolted on or welded? Or am I totally seeing things there? Is the rear the same?
Looks like a shackle reversal kit to me.

Good catch guys! It was a backwards way of lifting the car - I was told it is often done to FJ40's to increase the wheel base. I've spoken to my local mechanic about what it would take to get the car a more traditional lift. Any suggestions on what lift-kit to use?

I’d just stick with it. But if you want to sell it, I may be interested.

Welcome. I had the same roof rust and was able to repair it. Nice truck.:cheers:

I’d just stick with it. But if you want to sell it, I may be interested.

Yeah I think I’m just going to leave it as is and keep my costs down. Going to need alignments more often however and may put more strain on the front tie rod’s (according to my mechanic)

Did you repair it yourself or have a shop do it?
I did it myself. I documented the process in my build thread (saving another FJ60) in my signature line.

Thing is that rust is only going to grow. That's a tough spot, but once the rust starts it will going up and down from its egress point and run along the seam. Eventually it will perforate the roof. But in truth, just wait till it does. The only good fix for bulging sheet metal like that is to cut it out anyway. Save up for a paint job and add another 1500 for the roof rust repair. The lower rust could be minor, but it could be a monster too. There are several panels that come together in that area. See my Sofa King thread in my sig to see the mess I had to fix on the one I'm resurrecting now.

If it were me, I'd put rust as the only priority. Fix that rust or it will be the demise of the truck.

Thing is that rust is only going to grow. That's a tough spot, but once the rust starts it will going up and down from its egress point and run along the seam. Eventually it will perforate the roof. But in truth, just wait till it does. The only good fix for bulging sheet metal like that is to cut it out anyway. Save up for a paint job and add another 1500 for the roof rust repair. The lower rust could be minor, but it could be a monster too. There are several panels that come together in that area. See my Sofa King thread in my sig to see the mess I had to fix on the one I'm resurrecting now.
If it were me, I'd put rust as the only priority. Fix that rust or it will be the demise of the truck.

Very consistent feedback. I’m having the rust professionally inspected next week by a couple of local shops. Will follow-up with what I learn

Installed some new headlights today and newer chrome headlight doors.

Dapper Lighting OE7 LED headlights with OEM Glass. 100% plug and play with a fully sealed construction. Very bright and happy with them so far!!

EDAC85F8-C53A-451F-AFC8-8EA20428EFFE.jpeg

5145A92C-88AD-4D7A-9566-6EDCB58D56C0.jpeg

Installed some new headlights today and newer chrome headlight doors.

Dapper Lighting OE7 LED headlights with OEM Glass. 100% plug and play with a fully sealed construction. Very bright and happy with them so far!!

Did you end up liking these headlights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom