1985 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve had and still got a couple 22r with a Weber. I’m still learning on the 22re. Which temp sensor works the gauge in the dash. Mine will sometimes shoot up to operating temp when first started or it will drop to cold when warm got a mind of it’s own I guess. @ToyotaMatt i may need a couple connectors but mainly just trying to see if it’s gonna run good enough to drive for a bit before sinking much time or money in to it. I primarily bought it for parts but everything was there so I thought I’d see if I could get going and see how motor trans and all that was.

ok ,

let me know if i can help :)

- thanks @pappy , for a good technical connector conversation here , its always kool learning new stuff .....

kindly matt

7CEEB9B1-0FC1-4BB5-BF74-D0F6358F16FC.jpeg

B56DBECD-F6EB-4D75-BAB2-336CB7CA62A8.jpeg

C1EC88D4-D7B9-457C-B972-7CB8B8A1B904.jpg

i did not realize the NLA / Disc. 89428-14070

- it covers all these applications below , every day is a learning experience on TOYOTA parts 🤔

11/87-10/95 all 3VZ-FE applications USA spec. and CANADA spec. too ......

Interesting. The 22RE uses 89428-28030, and I'm showing it's still available.

The gauge sender is on the intake manifold between cylinders 2 and 3. On the 1985 trucks there is a second port that can be used for an aftermarket gauge.

Location of the factory temp sender. Note this a later sender (1994), but the location is the same.

View attachment 3086428

Picture of my Autometer gauge sender, with the factory sender relocated to the side. Sender on the left with the blue connector is factory. The sender on top (blue wire) is the aftermarket using a metric adapter.

View attachment 3086429
Pappy thanks for the help. 🤟🏼

Anyone know where to find fuel sending unit for a 85 toyota pickup 22re? This one doesn’t have one at all.
As in the gauge sender? It's on top of the gas tank.

So now im struggling with it running really rich. Only code I get is a 12 flash which is for knock sensor circuit. Any suggestions where to look for rich? I know it can still be a number of things.

So now im struggling with it running really rich. Only code I get is a 12 flash which is for knock sensor circuit. Any suggestions where to look for rich? I know it can still be a number of things.

- have you tried to remedy the TCCS / ECU / OBD I CEL code 12 yet 🤔

- only 1 CEL code + only 1 issue running rich may = resolved perhaps ?

No I haven’t cause i assume it may be throwing code 12 from the rough idle which I believe is related to the running rich.

did you actually repair the oxygen sensor wiring?

rich condition can be caused by:
o2
ect
afm
vacuum leaks
fpr failure
Yes but didn’t change 02 sensor. Can’t find any vacuum leaks. Haven’t changed ect sensor. Sometimes the temp hand will work sometimes it will not. I’m not sure if it’s the sensor or in the wiring. Haven’t messed with fpr or afm.

Yes but didn’t change 02 sensor. Can’t find any vacuum leaks. Haven’t changed ect sensor. Sometimes the temp hand will work sometimes it will not. I’m not sure if it’s the sensor or in the wiring. Haven’t messed with fpr or afm.

you may have mentioned it ,

but what type of FSM : ( Field Service Manual ) are you working with ?

- Haynes

- Toyota factory service manual

- of a PDF of some sort ?

you have a 1985 22RE correct ?

ATM or MTM

4Runner

or

Pickup

2WD

or

4WD

your struggling a bit i think because you do not have a factory FSM and EWD manual / diagrams 🤔

Haynes is so very generalized is Passe' :rolleyes:

Quit screwing around with the Haynes. Get the FSM and the EWD manuals. Don't look back. Ebay is a good source.

FSM for 1985: TOYOTA 1985 TRUCK & 4RUNNER SHOP MANUAL SERVICE REPAIR PICKUP BOOK | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/233981716015, $78.78

EWD for 1986: OEM Repair Maintenance Wiring Schematics Bound for Toyota Truck & 4Runner 1986 | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/273763133102, $27.27

I have the 1986 EWD that I use on my 1985. I've found it's about 98% spot on and will serve you well. There is a learning curve to using it. This manual is OMG once you figure out what it's telling you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom