1984 Fj60 ELECTRICAL HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright. So as things have been getting hotter Ive been running into some starting issues. Trying to fix this I bought a new battery. Replaced the alternator. Thinking the battery wasnt charged up enough to get a proper start. Following these fixes though it seems like it has more difficulty starting....

So after driving for a few miles and heaving the battery reading close to 15 volts. I can turn the car off, and immediatly try and start it and the battery will read less than 12 volts and wont start. Upon a start Ill turn the key over and I hear a single click then everything dies. Seems to me like a short or something because all the electrical is busted after. If I have a jump she starts up like a dream. Im thinking its maybe to much resistance through some of the wires or in the ignition coil...
Today I plan on just testing everything and seeing if im getting too much resistance anywhere.
Anyways I'd appreciate anyones thoughts on what gong on here.....

Thanks a lot
Jack

Last edited:
1. Clean your battery terminals and posts.
2. make sure your terminals are tight
3. Inspect the fusible link at the battery. It’s common for these to get nasty over time and can cause lots of problems
4. What is the exact voltage reading when running? You should see voltage at the battery when running between 13v and 14.4 volts. If you are hitting 15 volts then you are overcharging and might have a regulator issue. But if you have a new alternator that should have a good regulator. How does charging voltage compare to before you changed the alternator?

5. inspect the condition of your main battery cables
6. What does your battery read for voltage with the truck off. Should be 12.6V.

7. if you get a click when trying to start a hot truck then either your battery is no good, or your cables are in bad shape, or loose, or your starter solenoid needs to be rebuild, or the wiring to the starter solenoid is worn out and you need torun an auxiliary starter solenoid/ and or rebuild the stock starter solenoid.

It’s a new battery so you will probably say that the terminals are clean. But you also need to clean the cable terminals, connections to the starter as well as the ground connections.

if the above suggestions don't work, try running a set of jumper cables from battery to the same places the positive and negative go to and see what happens.
I had a bad cable that after replacing cut off the insulation and found a green section of corrosion inside aprox 3" from 1 end.

Thanks for the input ya'll. Seems to be running proper now. Kind of a weird work around but the ground cable was pretty beat up... So I started to just replace that. Got pretty tough to get to the other end of the cable. Was unable to disconnect it... (idk if this is actually neccessary or if connecting it anywhere to the frame is ok) Anyway so I just replaced the ground cable. ran this cable to the frame. then stripped the old one further down past the damage and connected it to the frame too. Susie Cruz started up no problem.
Thanks for everyones help!

You can go to a boating supply shop and pick up some 5 gage marine cable and some eyelet connectors. Get red and black if you can and you might need a special crimp tool. You can make new ground wires to connect the engine to the frame and to the battery. Extra ground wires won’t hurt. You can make new wires for the battery to starter and battery to alternator.

if you don’t want to make your own there are some mud vendors and posters who make up some nice kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom