1984 engine parts question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm just about ready to pull the knackered engine out of our 1984 rig. (I'm new to 60s.) I got another engine from an '84 to replace it. I want to replace some seals and gaskets before installing it. This is a budget rig, and I went to rockauto.com for parts. Parts searching comes up with a mid-production year parts change. Problem is I have no idea if it's an early or late 1984 engine? Furthermore, I'd be curious what changes there are in the 1984 engine production, if any?
Experience and advice pls.
Thank you,
Scot
(Yes, I downloaded the FSM.)

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

There's info in this thread on how to decode the casting # on the block to get month/year.

2F serial number info...

Definitely a question for Onur, but I don’t think there is anything significant changes to the 2F across the years. There are slight changes to other parts,, like drive shafts and such.

My only advice when buying parts, especially seals... go OEM, or you’ll be doing the work again soon.

That's a nice truck! LHD, too! What engine?

Mighty690 looks like your projects haven’t ended.
Nice your son are doing that together.

Differences:

1. Head gasket
2. Timing cover gasket
3. Timing plate gasket
4. Rear main
5. AC belt
Is there an easy way for me to tell which one it is without knowing the birthdate of the engine? Rear main would be smart to change at this point!

Since Onur might weigh in, I thought he'd like:

View attachment 1781877

View attachment 1781878
Off topic but how is this truck legal in the state? Unless it has provisional plates or something. I want me one of those...
On topic, does rock auto reference toyota parts numbers? If so, you can go to toyotadiy.com and input your vin, then look for the part you need, grab the number and compare to the rock auto number listed. I think that would only work if rock auto references the pn though.

Off topic but how is this truck legal in the state? Unless it has provisional plates or something. I want me one of those...
On topic, does rock auto reference toyota parts numbers? If so, you can go to toyotadiy.com and input your vin, then look for the part you need, grab the number and compare to the rock auto number listed. I think that would only work if rock auto references the pn though.
Thanks for the tip. Let's not talk of the details on the 70x, but yes we'd all buy one if we could.

While the new engine is out you should go to town on cleaning it up and painting stuff. Even on a budget build you could add a lot of value to the truck just by having a nice presentable engine when it lands in the engine bay. It will also make it easier to find future leaks and issues and in general see what you are working on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom